Flexible wiring?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 5 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

MarkM
    Participant

I am getting ready to wire my setup, and I’m surprised that there is very little mention of using cabling rated for constant flex applications. At the moment I am looking at some Igus continuous flex control cable. If you are using a cable drag chain it seems to me you should be using appropriate wiring. Industrial ethernet cable rated for constant flex is an option I suppose, but I’m not a fan of RJ45’s around all that dust. I have GX16 connectors on order. This wire is 0.33 OD and the connectors say 0.26 so I’m hoping I can make this work. I plan to run things on 24 volts.

MegaDad3D
    Participant

It seems to me that if you’re using drag chain then you can use pretty much any stranded wire.

MarkM
    Participant

Josh
    Participant

That’s the best part of this machine, you can build it however you want.  It seems a lot of people like tape measure steel and wire loom better than drag chain.  There are some cool touch plate setups but I prefer a multimeter and foil tape.

Barry
    Participant

I’ve been using rj-45 connectors for years(almost 3!) on my mpcnc, no issues.  Dust doesn’t hurt them, it’s moisture you need to worry about.

Bill
    Participant

Although I imagine aluminum dust might be an issue over time.

Barry
    Participant

If you’re getting that much aluminum dust on things, you have larger problems.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.