Fishtacos MP3DP.

This topic contains 290 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Mmmfishtacos 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 291 total)
  • Author

David Walling
    Participant

I don’t know of any of them that are out of the box solid… unless you’re OK with the smaller build of like the Up Mini 2. We had one of those at work and it was just about perfect, minus the small build size.

My Geeetech Aluminum is rock solid, but it required replacing some parts to get it there… definitely not out of the box.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It also needs to be easy to use, because my wife is running it during the day while I’m at work.

Sounds like you need to have your wife make her own MP3DP, then she will know how to run it herself.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

How about the robo or xyz?

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

OKay, i’ve got a few questions, that don’t have anything to do with MP3DP but I pretty much dump everything here anyway so..

How Do i export a fusion file for anyone to download? And Second, If I had to redraw some’s design because it didn’t work properly is it now mine to do what I wan’t with?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Wrt the redrawing thing. If you just drew it by eye, but the idea was someone else’s, then it’s yours unless it’s covered by a trademark or patent. Copyrights cover the text, images, dxf, stls. If you started with their stl, then it’s dependent on their license, I think. Also, I am an engineer, not a lawyer.

From a moral perspective, you should give credit where credit is due. In practice, there’s a lot of fudge room. For example, if you based some widget off of another design, and you made an ok profit, but really just enough to make it worth your while. If the original designer wanted half your net sales or even half your net profit, that doesn’t make any practical sense, because the business isn’t viable with half the profit. If everyone was being reasonable, you’d be able to consider the fact that you are doing the marketing, making, and taking the risk. The design is only part of it. Hopefully, you’d come up with an agreement that would give credit and some profit to the original design, but not enough to stop the production, or make you quit.

I always think of the example of recipes. If you take a recipe from Betty Crocker cookbook, but didn’t use any text from their book, or pictures their copyright doesn’t apply to your recipe, even if it’s the same quantity of ingredients. You can’t call it Betty Crocker’s recipe (Betty Crocker is their trademark) and you can’t make a copy of a Ford Fusion, because they have several patents on their tech. So IMO, if you used an STL from something that has a copyright, that’s similar to copying paragraphs of text from a recipe.

I’m not a lawyer, this is just my understanding as someone who works with open source software at work.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Well I’m going to give him credit, the same way I do when I remix anyone else, but this is the first one I had to redraw from scratch this way. While I did import his stl into Fusion, I only used it in the same way You’d use a photo to design something. Then I trashed the STl. And “engendered’ it to work. And I just pulled it off the bed and it snapped together nicely, but because of the way I mirrored the second half. It’s actually a new design, on accident. And I like it better than the original, funny enough. If he say’s anything about me selling it, then I’ll probably just grin and bear it and drop it from my line up.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Is the original in creative commons with a no commercial license? If so, I think you’d be better off just asking. I usually put no commercial on my licenses, but I don’t really know why. Just for common sense/practical sake, I’d just shoot them a line. If they say no, then you’ve saved the effort of them complaining, and saved any possible legal BS.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Yeah, thats a better idea. Ill send him am email and see how he feels about it.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

How important is kapton tap on the extrude? I just had to take my extrude apart because of a jam on the cold side. I think my stepper might be fried too..

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

How important is kapton tap on the extrude? I just had to take my extrude apart because of a jam on the cold side. I think my stepper might be fried too..

Kapton may help a little to prevent the hot side to transfert radiative heat to the cold side. worth a try.

Usually, jamming occurs during retractation. You can set up a lower retractation distance, lower extrusion temp or you can use a beefier fan to cool the heatsink. This is probably the best way to solve your problem since it won’t impact printing speed and won’t impact printing quality.

Just remove the old one, check how much amps it uses (should be something like 0.07 A, more or less) and try to find a fan with same size and twice the amperage. It will be noisier, but with twice the air flow you should be fine.

I’m trying this technique for cooling the parts (not for the nozzle cooling since mine is watercooled), I switched the original 0.08 amps 40mm fans to 0.68 amps, 40mm fans, which are some very beefy fans used in servers. This is a bit too extreme in my case, those fans are way too powerful, but the difference in terms of air flow they provide is insane. You might want to consider a similar approach.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

How was the thermistor held in?

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Well screw it, I couldn’t get it running correctly again, I think I need a new throat, and the thermostat isn’t in correctly and getting heat shut offs. The stepper is also over heating. I just ordered a new extruder from the shop. I don’t have time to be wrong about something right now. I’ll have to delay several orders. This is a nightmare…

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That sucks.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Yep, and i counted the “few” people and its like 20…

I ordered a new printer on sunday. Still hasnt shipped . Im spaming f5 on my amazon order page. I really dont want to have to send out emails this after noon explaining why…

Jeffeb3
    Participant

My unsolicited advice: be honest, and overestimate the time it will take to fix. Better that you say it’s a 2 week delay and deliver in one than saying one week delay and deliver in 2. “Under promise, over deliver”.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Well I sent it out to everyone and it seems that I only have 2 that dropped out. So that’s not bad. I think when I make the next add I’ll just have a bunch on hand. It was really popular and I didn’t expect that when I posted it.

Got on the line with Amazon, and told them how it was going to screw me over if I didn’t have it. So I guess they decied to over night it. Which is crazy, I can’t even imagine how much it would cost to over night something that big.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Well… I’m at a loss, The Robo C2 I ordered from amazon was a dud, so i’m sending it back. And I wont buy another. As I did’t realize that it didn’t have a heated bed.. and 800 dollar printer that doesn’t have a heated bed? So I did what i should have done when I was thinking I needed a new printer. I’ll have my prusa I3 MK2S in 7 weeks.. Don’t know what I’ll do in the mean time. Maybe just put the breaks on my side gig and not take orders, only sell what I have on hand.

Ryan
    Keymaster

How long are your prints and how many do you need? I have a few printers I could run for you. Same rate as the printed parts, ship in flat rate box to you.

Not 7 weeks worth but I might be able to know a bunch out with 6-7 printers in a few days.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

I have 13 left. To print and they take about an hour 1:45. I have them set up to build two at a time. So about 3 hours for a build plate. I think I can manage what I have now if I get that part tomorrow or Friday. I just wont take any more advanced orders.

Tomorrow I need to look over what I need for a second MP3dp, probably better to build another one anyway, While I wait on my Mk2s to arrive. Then I’ll just have 3 printers. lol.

And I’m looking to redesign my file to make it a bit easier to assemble and lock the center bearing in place. Now that that kid in Texas (?) swallowed a bearing parents are freaking out. Actually had a guy at work say don’t by you kid one the bearings are falling out and the choke on them… I wanted to slam my head on the desk…

Thanks for the offer, but let’s just see how the next few days go. I still have some time. But you know how it is. I just need to get these things out there while they are still hot.

Just so I know, how much would you charge for 10 of them? Black.

Here is what they look like.

PS. It’s two parts because I needed to balance the top you have to use two processes 34 percent in fill 2 shells 2 bottom surface and 5 top.The bottom half is printed as a solid, I just choose 3 bottom layers and 100 top and it does it pretty well. Then place them touching on the build plate where when the print they fuse together.

Attachments:

Jeffeb3
    Participant

If you have No robots, you will always have N-1 with problems that will keep them from working. The last one only works because you are working on it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Let me know if you can’t catch up and I’ll slice it and see, but for a homie hookup order I would just charge whatever the rate is for the bundle parts/hour. Since that is what they are earning me otherwise.

A little busy to do it for the hell of it but if you need help we can work it out. Leverage to power of micro-manufacturing!

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Hey ryan,

Im ordering parts today. Is it possible to get one of those microswiss extruder set ups?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I don’t have any extra right now. I have been hesitant to order, they enforce a MSRP. So same price from me as their site. It is nice for those who can combine an order with shipping and all that but I have to buy a ton of them.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Oh well. I went a head and ordered the aero. We’ll see how it goes on the new machine.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Well it’s back to working again, Got a build plate full.

And I got all the parts ordered today for my new printer. I’m thinking of doing a joker themed printer. So purple and green parts and white frame. Good idea or bad Idea?

I found a cutting board on amazon that nearly fits all the frame parts. So you’d need two, but it’s cheaper that way than buying from someone like inventables.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m thinking of doing a joker themed printer. So purple and green parts and white frame. Good idea or bad Idea?

Good idea.

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

Well it’s back to working again, Got a build plate full.

And I got all the parts ordered today for my new printer. I’m thinking of doing a joker themed printer. So purple and green parts and white frame. Good idea or bad Idea?

I found a cutting board on amazon that nearly fits all the frame parts. So you’d need two, but it’s cheaper that way than buying from someone like inventables.

If you are using your machine as a money maker, my suggestion is that whenever a part breaks you purchase 2 or 3 new ones. This way, you always have spare no matter what happens. You should always have one or two spares somewhere at home in case things goes wrong.
    I suggest you to think ahead about what parts have the most potential to break and order them as soon as possible, so you won’t be stuck anymore. Seems obvious maybe, but it real worth the effort.

I don’t use my machines to make any money so far, but that’s always what I do, purchase 3 whenever I need one. This way my machine is almost always operational, the down time is only reduced to part changing operations. Of course, I do that essentially for the low cost parts, whenever that’s about expensive ones I generally only keep one spare, no more.

Bill
    Participant

I pretty much always try and buy a 10 pack for everything I break… except for the most expensive pieces where I buy two to replace one.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

So the cutting boards came in today. I didn’t realize how heavy they would be. I don’t think I need to worry about it blowing away. lol.

And I’ve already run into a problem on this build. The purple I got is way far off of being modern day joker. Maybe joker from the 60’s tv show. It’s so light. I hate that filament makers don’t take photos under the right lighting.

Here’s what it looks like. There green isn’t quite right either, but I can live it with. only a few parts are going to be green anyway.

Barry
    Participant

I like it. Probably as close as you’ll get with the purple. Though looking at my Inland branded pla, it’s a tad darker. Who knows how their version control is though.

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 291 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.