First MPCNC build, Planning to build more

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC First MPCNC build, Planning to build more

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kyle Wolfe 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Will
    Participant

Hey all,

VERY newbie question. I don’t currently have a 3d printer, Im going to buy these first printed parts.

I want to build this first MPCNC (3d Printer) with the capacity to print more iterations of this machine. I notice that the Z parts require 120mm space. Does this mean that for this first build I would need to increase the usable height of my MPCNC to 5ish(4.79) inches? Or can I rotate the print orientation and print Z parts horizontally.

Additionally, have any of you found difficulty with raising the height above the suggested 3″ for a first build?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Hi,

If your plan is to make a 3D printer, it really is best to build a 3D printer. The MPCNC is a great CNC that can print really big things, but it is not as good as a small standalone printer for printing.

In other words build the machine you need for your primary purpose.

Will
    Participant

Said the guy who built this beautiful monster 😉 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeVeyUas5vU Hahaha.

Say I had to build the extruder into this first build, would I need to raise the height to 5″ish to print the XYZ parts for the MPCNC?

Bill
    Participant

Really, Ryan is right here. Build an MP3DP and use it to print the parts for each successive MPCNC. It’ll be a lot easier and you’ll be able to get a lot more help with the 3D printing learning curve using a reasonably standard printer.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Tool mount is the tallest.

How many CNC’s do you plan on building?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Will
    Participant

I’m shooting for 3. Dont 3d print much, but I do want the capacity to make additions to the machines I have, and print new ones/features if needed.

Kyle Wolfe
    Participant

I’ve never used my MPCNC as a 3D printer, but I did originally build it with a 5″ usable height. It gave me some weeble wobbles right off the bat, so I cut it down.
    That said, if you are determined to use the MPCNC as the replicating machine for more MPCNCs, I think you’d be clear to build it taller if you get creative with some sort of wooden sidewall setup. Basically build the CNC as normal, then add a structural box, or some kind of bracing, around the sides.
    I wouldn’t reorient the parts on the print bed, personally. Ryan has optimized them pretty well to print as is. I say try out the tall build, and don’t look back! At the very least, you’re gonna learn something- and changing Z height is super easy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.