Finished Build in Western Australia

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC Finished Build in Western Australia

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Sambuka 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

George Knowlden
    Participant

Hey everyone,

With a lof of help from the forums, I’ve finished my build! It’s a little messy for the moment, but I plan to add an emergency stop, and it will be cleaned up after that.

The only real sticking point was wiring the steppers correctly. The official instructions didn’t quite work for me, since it wired corresponding motors to be turning the same way, when they need to oppose each other since they are facing different directions. It only took a little while to resolder those connections though.

I went with green and grey to match some of the other machines that we have in the (extremely messy) workshop.

MPCNC_complete

I’m running CNC.js on a Raspberry Pi 3 A, and have been trying cam.openbuilds, but might move to PyCam or Estlcam later.

I’ve tried some plotting, but I need to get the bed a bit more level before I have a real chance with this.

crown1

Best,

George

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jason
    Participant

Looks good, I was trying to install cnc.js last week on my build but couldn’t get it so it’s on hold while I switch everything over to a larger base

George Knowlden
    Participant

Let me know if you need any help with that when you try again. I followed the instructions, and there was 1 small error in them, but other than that I had no issues. Good luck with the upgrade.

Jason
    Participant

After I get everything up and running on the new platform I’ll let you know when I try to install the new software, I was playing around with trying to install gbrl on my extra 2560/ramps1.5 board last night but not sure if the github file was complete. I added a few pics of my setup as is it’s a 2x3ft build and I’m going to a 4×4 so I can cut my arcade cabinet

kd2018
    Participant

The only real sticking point was wiring the steppers correctly. The official instructions didn’t quite work for me, since it wired corresponding motors to be turning the same way, when they need to oppose each other since they are facing different directions. It only took a little while to resolder those connections though.

The instructions appear to me to reverse the wiring on one motor correctly.

[Quote]I’m running CNC.js on a Raspberry Pi 3 A, and have been trying cam.openbuilds, but might move to PyCam or Estlcam later.
    [/quote]

I’ve been playing with cncjs too, it’s pretty cool but I have had a few reliability problems so far. Anyway, Jeff’s prebuilt rpi image v1pi was an easy plug and play installation.

Jamie
    Participant

The instructions appear to me to reverse the wiring on one motor correctly.

513px-Series_Connected_Stepper_Motor_Wiring_Diagram-171x200

I believe that yes, wiring according to this diagram in particular will cause the motors to turn in the same direction, which is not the correct way for series wiring.  I think there is an assumption that the individual motors are pluggable, in which case it’s no big deal if one is backwards.  But if you’re soldering then this won’t be right the first time.

kd2018
    Participant

Ah, you are correct. I didn’t look closely enough at the wiring diagram. Sorry about that.

Sambuka
    Participant

That’s the way I have wired my stepper motors.

Attachments:

kd2018
    Participant

That’s the way I have wired my stepper motors.

Look closely at the second winding in your diagram vs the diagram Jamie posted from the MPCNC instructions, your diagram shows the wiring reversed through one motor (correct), Jamie’s does not.

George Knowlden
    Participant

Love the green @jpulliam! Looking great.

Yes, @jamiek, I was soldering them and didn’t have the option of reversing the headers on just one motor. Perhaps Ryan could update the instructions, using @sambuka‘s diagram.

Sambuka
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.