Estlcam with experimental Arduino Mega2560 / Ramps 1.4 support

New Home Forum Software / Firmware Development Estlcam with experimental Arduino Mega2560 / Ramps 1.4 support

Tagged: 

This topic contains 353 replies, has 74 voices, and was last updated by  BT 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 331 through 354 (of 354 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Okay, I get it. I understand it might seem easier to stick with a single “ecosystem” if you will, but the first attempt at a different function a lot of complicated work goes into swapping functions (gcode, firmware, settings).

My side of it is, it is too narrowed focused. This is only 1 board we are talking about (very outdated, and quality that is dropping rapidly) and you have to adjust all the settings and can only use this specific software with it and you have to be tethered to a computer.

The way we currently do it it works with every board to date, no matter the actual firmware that is on it, or what program generates the Gcode (fusion, estlcam, inkscape, hand coded, aspire). For the control side you can use software (any), or an LCD (any, non tethered), even a pi for cell phone control. Extremely universal for broad appeal and a uniform experience across all uses, 3d printing, milling, laser, plasma cutting, drag knife, wood burner. Swapping functions takes no added steps.

Yoyo
    Participant

is EstlCam working with Marlin Ramps 1.4? i programed the estlcam to arduino  mega and i get a message that says controller is active but it wont move any of the axis ?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Estlcam’s gcode works perfectly. Estlcam’s ramps control is no longer supported.

Yoyo
    Participant

Damn that was fast! no wonder it wont move well guess i have to unistall it now and start messing with Octopi to control it .

Ryan
    Keymaster

Or repetier, or an LCD. Lots of ways to do this.

Bill
    Participant

But you will want to reflash back to stock before you use any of the other methods…

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ed IJzerman
    Participant

Is there any sign of using a 4th axis?

Carl
    Participant

where can i download a copy of Estlcam 9.016  as i have a arduino mega 2560 ramps 1.4 cnc and no mater what i do i cannot get power to the steppers so i thought this might be worth a try as this is becoming very expensive can you please help

Ryan
    Keymaster

Repetier and Marlin don’t work?

I have zero access to old versions of Estlcam.

Barry
    Participant

If you really need an old version look here.

https://www.estlcam.de/changelog.php  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down at the bottom of the page.  Keep in mind, estlcam firmware on arduino/ramps combo is no longer supported.

Carl
    Participant

Thank you i will try that i live in New Zealand and every one i talk to about this fob me off i don’t know any thing about this sort of thing but i wonted a c-n-c machine to help me cut things out its now all built but i carn’t get motors to move so any info would be great         thank you  again

Guffy
    Participant

160kHz on each axis

That’s really cool, but honestly i don’t understand is it useful for cnc. Does cnc need to use so high feedrates as 3d printer?

Bill
    Participant

Carl, we could help a lot more if you used the Marlin firmware and started a new thread explaining your problem. I’d bet your problem isn’t firmware related and you spend a long time going down rat holes…

Grandpapip
    Participant

I know Christian stopped the Arduino support , but Will it come back?  V10 works for the most for me but 11 is FUBAR for me,  it wont take the same settings and run correctly which I do not understand.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Grandpapip.

Bluff Chuffer
    Participant

Christian stopped the support for the Ramps expansion board, but not the Mega 2560 board.

That should still work with independent drivers.

Marvin Lange
    Participant

On the UNO with GRBL  should I have all 3 Jumpers Under the Stepper rivers ?

It sees the Controller and end stops I just get no Motor Movement but it runs fine on rambo board when I switch the DB25 Plug

IMG_20190129_174140258
    IMG_20190129_174029016
    IMG_20190129_131337708

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That should determine the amount of microstepping.

Marvin Lange
    Participant

Yep I that helps me Remember Now Been a wile since I worked on the Machine giving it complete Overhaul did the Burly Upgrade I am about to throw in the towl with ESTLCAM I have tried 3 different Uno’s  2 Different Shields with 1 Motor only hooked to the Shield Directly and Cant get any Movement  I have Been at this for Hours in the Freezing Cold

Bluff Chuffer
    Participant

How about connecting the power supply directly to the expansion board, instead of relying on the feed through the UNO board. Mine works, actually its never not worked if supplied direct, though never tried it from the UNO.

Marvin Lange
    Participant

How about connecting the power supply directly to the expansion board, instead of relying on the feed through the UNO board. Mine works, actually its never not worked if supplied direct, though never tried it from the UNO.

Thats A Great Idea, It Seems Lie a Power Issue.

Even If I hook New Stepper hooked to nothing Bunt the CNC Shield I get Nothing no Stepper Movement and after Going thru trying 3 different UNO Boards and 2 Shields It Was getting to Definition  of Insanity Especially at like 31 Degrees in all Glass Green House Thats About Imposable to Heat 🙁 Will Update you Tomorrow When the Suns Heating up the Green House 🙂   I have Dedicated PC to run it some of the Trochoidal Milling seems to Bring Marlin to its knees running of SD Card and I love Using the Touch Plate but My Laser Software seems to Run Better off the SD..

Thanks for the Suggestion

GOD Bless

Night

Marvin

Bluff Chuffer
    Participant

I recall the volt regulator on the UNO board steps the power down to 5 volts, to allow the UNO to run independent from the usb cable. I do not think it powers the drivers on the shield.

Its summer here!

Bill
    Participant

Yeah, you have that 12-36V connector on the shield with no power to it. That’s the power that drives the motors.

Lloyd Down under
    Participant

Ryan

thanks for your help in the past months, for my laser, works great. but my original request, still has not been answered.

Ok Guys have many questions as old farts have, first is; GRBL vs  MARLIN, or other??

have Marlin on the CNC and Grbl on Laser and 3d Printer. and which is compatible with Estlcam? next Q tomorrow. am trying Estlcam, like the simplicity of it.

Lloyd

BT
    Participant

Not a simple answer.  Both GRBL and Marlin work and work great.  It depends on what you’re comfortable with and how many of the unique features one has vs. the other that you use (or want to use).  You’ll have to do some research to figure those aspects out.  I can refer you to http://www.marlinfw.org for Marlin (that’s what I use), but I have no experience with GRBL.  Estlcam (the CAM software) can install Estlcam (the firmware), which IIRC won’t work on an arduino/Ramps setup but will work on an Uno/CNC shield.  Again, I’ve got no experience with anything beyond Marlin. There are also other options about which I know less than nothing.

Estlcam (the CAM software) can produce gcode which is compatible for Marlin or GRBL, just select the desired output type in Setup/CNC Programs.   I can recommend Estlcam because it is very straightforward to use and that’s what I use for my CAM.

Viewing 24 posts - 331 through 354 (of 354 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.