Entering bit into ESTLCAM

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Entering bit into ESTLCAM

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

unit416
    Participant

Can anyone explain how to enter this bit into ESTLCAM?

Ryan
    Keymaster

If you hover over the last few settings it has a popup of the dimensions it is looking for.

Barry
    Participant

I’ve never figured out how to put those kinds of endmills in.  Wonder if @christian-knuell monitors name drops??  😉

Ryan
    Keymaster

I thought it was tip angle and tip offset (little math involved but I just saw the formula posted again a week ago or so), is there something I am not seeing?

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

This was the previous discussion

https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/estlcam-and-new-v-bit-setup

I’d treat this bit as a shallow angled v-carve with an offset. The ball end is so small, it might as well be a v-carve.

Alternatively, if you know that your DOC is going to be very small (<1mm?) you can treat it as a 0.5mm ball end.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Erwin Vigilia.
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

I’ve never figured out how to put those kinds of endmills in. Wonder if @christian-knuell monitors name drops?? 😉

It sure seems like it does when it comes to “real” issues or questions about Estlcam. Was pleasantly surprised at his responsiveness, and one of the reasons why I opted to register his program to support his efforts.

Barry
    Participant

Right, but you can’t put that small of an angle into estlcam, unless I’m missing something.  (probably math, I hate math…)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Barry.

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

Right, but you can’t put that small of an angle into estlcam, unless I’m missing something. (probably math, I hate math…)

I only started liking math after I found out how much engineer’s make 🙂 but it’s a love-hate relationship.

I just tried entering a small angle into the tool list, it didn’t complain… unless I’m missing something as well.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I still hate it but maybe that’s because my boss doesn’t pay me well enough.

The angle might need to be subtracted from 90, I would have to look at the picture.

Aaron
    Participant

Bits like that (flat or radius tip) generally mean the given angle is of each side, so for ESTLcam, I would put it as a 10 degree ballnose bit. Since that bit is generally for 3d type carvings, it doesn’t really matter if it’s off by a fraction of a degree, unlike v carving. In the vectric stuff it has options for bits like that.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.