Edmonton, AB frozen north LR2 amateur build

New Home Forum LowRider Your Builds – LowRider Edmonton, AB frozen north LR2 amateur build

This topic contains 49 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  JeffH 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Greg
    Participant

How are you finding the dust collection ?  I have a shop vac and also a dust collector with almost the same hose you have… not sure which way to go. I’m thinking the hose is not all that heavy if you have it drop from the ceiling.

Brent
    Participant

How are you finding the dust collection ? I have a shop vac and also a dust collector with almost the same hose you have… not sure which way to go. I’m thinking the hose is not all that heavy if you have it drop from the ceiling.

Well it’s hardly a refined system at this point it was just a let’s not make a terrible mess strategy for the test.  Considering this it worked alright.

I’ve seen the skirt idea around the router base and I’ll probably go that way with some brush material/foam as people have shown.  I’ll also print a new hose adapter for the outlet of the dust port so I can go directly into the hose I’ve got.  For the hose I just suspended with a bungee cord for the time being off an eye hook in the ceiling.  I think that will work pretty well to take the weight of the hose, and to allow it the range of travel it needs.  As this isn’t a permanent installation I want it to be able to be setup and torn down with relative ease but I also want it to be efficient as well.  Very much a work in progress but I like a clean shop and it’s a lot easier to not make a mess in the first place than it is to have to clean it up all the time.

Barry
    Participant

I haven’t tried yet, but when I put my hand on the end of my dust collector hose, it tries to shrink.  It might not be a problem, but it might pull the gantry enough to make it wander.  Also with the lowrider because we sit so close to the table I don’t know how well a brush will work.  It’s going to get in the way pretty quick.  I was hoping that with the amount of airflow the dust collector gives us, that we won’t need a brush.  Still get the random chip flung out, but shouldn’t be too bad.  All the fine stuff should get sucked up though.  I just have to finish my thein separator first so I can start testing.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Brent
    Participant

Step one accomplished in the better dust collection plan.  Just made a couple of adapters for the outlet on the router side to my flex hose, and another for the flex hose again this time to my small shopvac.  The fit seems to be enough to not need a hose clamp but I’ll see if it shakes out when it’s in motion.

Greg
    Participant

Nice!  If you find yourself needing it to drop from the ceiling, sewer pipe and elbows are dirt cheap from the hardware store.  Just don’t cut it on your mitre saw.

Brent
    Participant

Yeah good call, I’ve been there already and my simple central suction setup uses 2.5″ dwv pipe.  For now I’m sticking to the quasi mobile shop vac setup until I figure out what to do with the table in my space.  I should have the router skirting finished this weekend and I’ve got some plans to build an enclosure for the shop van as well as a thein/cyclone baffle for the dust collection.

Given the time involved in the cutting it seems worth the effort to do some noise management too if I’ve got to be around to babysit while it’s happening.  Maybe it will speed up my car project?

Brent
    Participant

Really impressed with this, it’s just 1/4″ melamine/mdf, I like the crisp edges. As I’ve only cut a little so far and only out of low grade plywood, and mdf, the edges haven’t been that crisp.  I know this is down to the materials more than anything so this crisp edging was really nice to see.  It’s awesome.

I also has some success with an enclosure for the ridgid shop vac for noise reduction.  It’s just a box right now and I plan on adding some insulation/sound deadening to it but so far so awesome.

I didn’t get a all systems running reading but:

open air vacuum running = 79.8dbs

enclosed  vacuum running = 72.5 (this probably was a little low as I realized I didn’t have enough ports for the air pressure inside)

all systems running LR2 in action with the enclosure = 77.8db

I’m hopeful that the insulation material will knock a few db’s off just by softening the inside edges and decoupling the vacuum from the cabinet.  Either way, despite the numbers it was a very noticeable difference in noise, still not quiet but not pushing into the >80db range while running.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Greg
    Participant

Not sure about availability these days but mass loaded vinyl is awesome for soundproofing.  I covered my office door in it and the only sound I can hear comes through the walls now.

Brent
    Participant

Good to know, it’s a pretty tight fit in the box as I didn’t want to create another big thing to take up space in the garage but I think I’ll end up using some of the dense foam insulation.  It’s already much quieter so a definite success at this point.

Brent
    Participant

Just playing around now with an idea to mount “rambo” and the LCD .  This is just hanging on top of the z axis stepper at the moment but I’m thinking I’ll mount and cover all the hardware along with the cables and also mount the LCD in the the top surface.  I’ve got everything hanging off the side of the table with zip ties currently.  It works but it’s not a permanent solution for me.

Brent
    Participant

I’ve decided I’ll use the cnc to build a rolling base for my table.  My “in-the-ceiling storage” plan didn’t get past my own safety department. So on to plywood, glue, and casters and a likely garage re-organization project.

Last night I started to cut a test piece for the base to judge the fit on the mortise and tenon joints I’ve got planned and I hit a snag, or in this case a slip.

The problem I found was due to loose grub screws.  I only checked my x axis as it was the problem axis, but (3 of 4) grub screws were loose and one half of my gantry was just tugging along behind the other causing all sorts of trouble. Yay for test cuts and scrap wood at least but definitely a good learning opportunity for me.

So now I see some threadlocker in my future then back to this test cut.

JeffH
    Participant

Great build. Thanks for posting. I feel a rebuild of one of my CNCs coming on and it’s likely to be a LowRider. Cheers from Barrhead, AB

Brent
    Participant

After a couple of false starts, I’m finally making big pieces.  The first big piece off the table came out great.  This is nearly the full length of my table at just under 6ft.

Brent
    Participant

I think I’ve wrapped up the build portion of this project now.  It’s working, I’ve got a few adjustments to make it really sing but it’s doing all the cnc stuff I expected/hoped for.

Happy to report on as well that I was within <1mm of my drawn dimension on a 70mm piece for this stool I made.  I hadn’t checked the dimensions that closely before but it seems I don’t need to adjust too much at all in the designs when putting parts together as the dimensions are coming out nearly exact.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Greg
    Participant

I like the design… the end grain on the top came out really nice.

Brent
    Participant

Thanks, more accident than anything and it’s a modified idea from “chess” stools I found so I can’t take much credit.

I did find some pretty good materials though at the orange store, these were cut out of “white wood” boards. They’re laminated boards to make up the width but it was just $15 for a 1’ftx8ft board of solid wood (if you ignore the glue up). They had a couple of different widths but were all around 3/4″ thick and quite flat.

The difference cutting from solid woods to press board/ply materials was night and day, the edges were so clean and crisp and the top and bottom edges only required a little sand paper to remove the fur.  I’ll be back for more of that wood for future projects. It also makes me yearn for a thickness planer/jointer.

Greg
    Participant

“White wood”…. cracks me up but sounds great I will keep an eye out for it. Sometimes I do the same with their oak boards but it’s pricey.

Since you’re in Edmonton check out Busy Bee… its  Chinesium but they have a couple bench top jointers one even has helical cutters and the prices are usually better than the big box stores especially if you catch their sales. They have so much of my money :/

Brent
    Participant

Thanks, busy bee wasn’t on the radar really but I’m more of a kijiji tool buyer, it’s pennies on the dollar if you’re patient.  I’ll check them out though and see about those sales.

Greg
    Participant

Smart.  I admire your self control. Last time I walked in there to buy a bottle of glue and walked out with a workshop air cleaner!

JeffH
    Participant

I feel your ‘pain’. Busy Bee is more Taiwanium than chinesium I think. We are all ‘Just One tool away from Greatness’ …

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.