dust collector port

New Home Forum Things You Have Made dust collector port

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Walling 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

David Walling
    Participant

Working on automation for my dust collector. Came up with this design for the opening/closing port.

It looks like it’ll work. The real part will be cut from laminated melamine so it’s slick on both sides.

I’m still getting some flex in the Z axis, but I think it’s from the length of the axis. When I switched back to the dewalt spindle, I forgot to put another piece of 3/4″ MDF on the spoilerboard to raise the bed.

I need to redesign the part just a bit to add microswitches on each side for open/close alarms.

Attachments:

David Walling
    Participant

Here’s a short clip of the electronics doing their work. Once I finish the housing, I’ll get a better video of it in action.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I like it! Fancy gates oled even…..jealous.

David Walling
    Participant

Yup. The OLED version of the board is only a buck or two more than the non-OLED.

It does make it a pain to figure out which pins you can use on the board and which you can’t. The final version may not have the OLED on it. Once everything is mounted in a case, you won’t be able to easily see it. It is useful for debugging without a computer, though.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Just printing the current ip and uptime has been pretty useful to me. Whenever my router reboots, it seems to have trouble reconnecting.

David Walling
    Participant

The IP has been a godsend. It makes debugging flask API calls amazingly simpler.

The one thing I still need to figure out is that this current setup won’t work well for a miter saw. The current blast gate takes almost 30 seconds to open/close with the stepper motor I have on it. For a table saw, planer, belt sander, etc… that’s not too bad as I typically can turn the saw on and then take that time to plan/verify my cut before I make it. On the miter saw, a 30 second delay every time I turn on the saw would suck.

What I think I’m going to do is have it set up so that when a blast gate is opened, it stays open until the next device is turned on. Then the last device can close while the new one is opening. I’m thinking I can easily do this by sending an ‘on’, ‘ready’, and ‘off’ command instead of just ‘on’ and ‘off’. Have all the devices subscribe to the same topic subtree. When any device goes ‘on’, all the other devices can check to see if their currently open. Then when the device is fully open, send the ‘ready’ command for the DC to turn on.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Yeah, keeping the last one on will save them a lot of wear too, since they won’t be closing just to open again.

You could also add another simple switch to the miter stand. When you’re setting up your cut, you click it, and the gates will start switching around and then the DC will be ready to turn on when you start the saw.

What kind of DC do you have on the MS? Mine throws dust everywhere.

David Walling
    Participant

None yet. That’s a future endeavor.

I just picked up the dust collector two weeks ago. So far the only two tools I have modified are the table saw and the band saw. I just got a new dust port for the planer over the weekend and tested that out, but I don’t have it plumbed to the rest of the system yet.

I’m taking Friday off for my birthday and plan on modifying the DC with a cyclone that day. Then I’ll spend the rest of the day adding in some Y’s and more cheap blast gates to get some of the other tools plumbed. Right now I’m plumbing everything with flex line. Once I get the rest of the shop emptied out, I’ll figure out the final resting places of the tools and run hard-lines to them.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I just installed this on a little esp8266 relay. It is pretty rock solid. I see there are some configuration setting for steppers. Makes me wonder if you could use this on your dust port:

https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota

David Walling
    Participant

That’s pretty interesting. My code is pretty solid at this point. Now I just need to build some circuits and finish the hardware.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.