Dual Endstops

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Dual Endstops

This topic contains 49 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Greg Sherwin
    Participant

Yeah, sorry but that’s how I roll.  I can export a metric set if you need.

Greg Sherwin
    Participant

And here’s a video showing the Z axis with dual endstops….

https://youtu.be/c13dkveAkKQ

Ryan
    Keymaster

Dude, Greg, you just absolutely made my day. Thank you for taking the time to make the video, and the endstop brackets. I have to link this in the article. Dam, so cool, I haven’t gotten to try it out yet myself!

Barry
    Participant

Naa, just throw a note on thingiverse that if their slicer is set for mm, that they need to scale up 2540%

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That’s awesome. Thanks. That is a great build, and the video shows so much detail. Just seeing it climb into shape is so great.

Adam
    Participant

Hello!
    I’m from Russia and use Google for translation, I apologize in advance.
    I make a CNC with a milling cutter on a table with a size of 2000 to 3000, on each axis there will be two motors, very much skewed along the axes, so there is an idea to start work after each motor is leveled by endstops.
    Hence the question: is it possible to add dual endstops to the firmware on the X and Y axes?
    I really hope for help, thank you in advance.

Sorry for the trouble, badly looking …

Auto Square, Dual EndStops

I’ll be there

Jeffeb3
    Participant

@adam, Just so you know, this is the “advanced” way to do that. The basic way is to use a square, and force the axes to be square before enabling the steppers. Many users have gotten a lot of work done with the manual procedure. This dual endstop feature is not a requirement for most CNC work.

The dual endstops are, however, very cool, and will make things easier.

The manual method is very well proven. If you run into trouble with the firmware, don’t sweat it, and just use the manual method.

I hope that translates well through google. 🙂

Adam
    Participant

Thank you @jeffeb3. Already asked the controller and on the table like everything is working as it should, now I will hang on the frame and debug. I’m just afraid that with such a pipe size in the process of work, the skew of the square is possible which is now perfectly displayed, therefore decided to insure and go this way.

Greg Sherwin
    Participant

Went ahead and worked out the M666 commands to square up the X and Z axis’ and it worked perfect.  Did this after putting on a guiderail on both long sides to help keep the gantry from shifting under cutting load.  I didn’t want the side assemblies rubbing on the sides of the table and creating drag, so the wheels now ride in this channel…it’s wall standard for adjustable shelving. 1/2″ tall and 1/2″ wide and keeps the wheels up out of the sawdust.

https://www.menards.com/main/storage-organization/closet-organizers/shelving-hardware-accessories/john-sterling-single-track-72-black-standard/p-1444436946730-c-12645.htm?tid=-4562122292310642408&ipos=7

Ryan
    Keymaster

Interesting. I really feel like I need to revisit the LowRider soon. I think I might have gotten the some of the physics reversed and could make it better. I love using it and each time I do I have a new idea. All of you guys keep trying new things as well so I think we can all push it further.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I like that idea. Mind has a track on the inside, but the only thing keeping it in is the tension from the pipes. This seems like it’s a good idea too.

And Ryan, if you want to use any of my ideas, you can pay me in free design work. You’ve got quite a few credits already built up.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You all can send me a bill and I will get to it in the order received as soon as I get winning lottery ticket.

You know me I can not leave good enough alone, I have a head full of ideas for both cnc’s (even the zenxy). I want to make them better.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I wonder why M666 works for some people and not others.

Greg Sherwin
    Participant

I did have to enable EEPROM in the dual endstop version of the firmware before it would work.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It should work as flashed.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Hmmm, I will check again Wed when the new batch of boards get here, maybe I somehow changed that.

Alan
    Participant

Wow!!! love the tracks using the big box off the shelf parts!!!  I live for alternative uses for parts that can be picked up any time at almost any big box store.  Amazon and eBay are worthless when its 9pm Friday night and, like me, waiting for UPS or the mail to maybe show up Monday morning just does NOT cut it!!!

Anyway now that the Holidays are over and the pressure is off to get gifts made I’m going to go ahead and give the dual end stops a try.

Looking forward to the headache! Other than what has been laid out in this thread are there any resources that might help one get through the process of figuring it all out and working through the kinks with a little more ease?

Greg Sherwin
    Participant

I’ve got my dual Endstops working perfectly now.

Things to watch for/consider from my trials…

Make sure EEPROM is enabled.

Set one stop a little back from the other so software can adjust for you.

Use fixed, not adjustable stops. Just easier to make them.

Use M500 to write the M666 X and Z adjustments to EEPROM so they are there the next time you start it up.

Make sure your axis’ track repeatedly. That’s why I added the tracks to move.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The eeprom can be a headache, remember to clear it if you change firmware. I am a little surprised it doesn’t work without it (at least until a restart).

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    Use M500 to write the M666 X and Z adjustments to EEPROM so they are there the next time you start it up.

Whenever you write something with M500, also change your config file, or you’ll forget what you set it to.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.