Does this count as a build?

New Home Forum Things You Have Made Does this count as a build?

This topic contains 540 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 541 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

There are also some parts that have ring conductors and the connection can resist infinite turns. It gets very complicated the more conductors there are.

http://www.tempco.com/Instrumentation/Rotating_Electrical_4_6_8.htm

I think they have rings of different radii for each conductor and a rotating bearing that rolls on each ring.

Barry
    Participant

It’s more of a pogo pin riding a ring. Running current through a bearing will destroy it eventually. Those little arcs will pit the surfaces. Once that happens, the arcing gets worse, rinse repeat.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Quick update, I have not forgotten about this.

I have a solid low profile sand table concept, corexy, the main roller parts was the hardest to design, fingers crossed. I hope to have the new beta part on a printer in an hour or so when the current print finishes. This then could be extremely similar to a corexy laser/printer platform.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Dan
    Participant

Hey Ryan. Really looking forward to seeing how this project progresses. I’m ready to start printing parts as soon as it gets to the beta testing stage.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Uhhhhhhggg, so close, I am working on the CAD for last piece and then I can give it a test run.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I hope to have some time to write more sw this week. I should have a bunch of downtime.

Ryan
    Keymaster

What you have done so far is freaking amazing, on top of that there is only 1 machine to use it, you are a beast.

The new one is corexy so all this design work could be wasted if it doesn’t scale well. I was at a sticking point last night….I made things too small. I shutdown the computer after staring at the machine for at least an hour. As soon as the screen went black I had the answer to my problem….a zip tie. I will print the parts asap, and give it a test run hopefully this afternoon, no promises.

I think so far it is somewhere around 6-7 hours of printing for a whole machines worth of parts. If it works it was worth the time to make is small, I have one part I can modify very easily to make it more robust to use it for other things like printing, lasers.

Neil
    Participant

damn i love zip ties
    neil

Ryan
    Keymaster

It’s an odd thing, you get hunkered down in CAD and your solutions get progressively more complex. Walk away for a minute and the simple solution comes about and saves some hardware and a printed part.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Looking at this again in the morning, I think I was getting a little stir crazy doing CAD all day. The sandy center “assembly”.

Attachments:

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Late July 2017, Ryan enters his “orange” period or abstract art.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Dang it, the orange one didn’t work, gotta try again. Makes one hell of a 90 degree hinge though. Didn’t see that coming.

Ryan
    Keymaster

AHHHHHHHHH, dang it. I forgot endstops. Lame.

I have all the non-endstop parts printed, they seem to work well. I bought some wood for a new table top.I have the CAD assembly mostly completed.

I need the assembly to make the table and to make some instructions. Crap. I’ll finish the assembly and look into endstops later. I might be able to do a crazy single piece for an XY endstop, coreXY is nuts like that.

Bill
    Participant

Just let me know when I can start printing too. 😉

Barry
    Participant

Yea, my printer is bored, needs something to do!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Doing my best to try it out today, because some of it is held on by gravity I really need to build the table top to test it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I know it isn’t good design practice to let gravity do this kind of work I was just trying to keep it low profile and minimal part count.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I know it isn’t good design practice to let gravity do this kind of work I was just trying to keep it low profile and minimal part count.

Yeah, because nasa might want to use it.

Johnny
    Participant

It’s only a bad idea when something goes wrong, until then it’s genius!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Fingers crossed, Screwing it all down now, quick and dirty test shortly.

Bill
    Participant

Heck, around here I pretty much consider gravity a constant that I can count on. As good a reason to design it in as I can think of. 😉

Ryan
    Keymaster

I was a little worried when I was assembling it the moving “X” gantry just sits on the Y rails. Gravity…free labor. It didn’t seem to work well at first. Then I realized the rails were a bit twisted and seem to work fine once untwisted.

The Corexy system seems to be working well, learn more about it every time I use it. It is super crazy to try and figure out the plugging in of the steppers. X and Y, don’t really mean anything. There a a bunch of ways you can plug in two steppers, and each seem to have a different effect on the movement. There must be a easy pattern to figure it out. All I can do for now is guess and check to get both axis moving in the correct direction. Once it is finalized I can easily just provide the right way to do it.

I threw together the base of the table that will get covered with some nicer wood.

I need to add a small part and I might have an easy system for both end stops in the same corner. Total print time looks to be under 9 hours with the same settings speeds I use for all my other prints.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It took a while to come up with a table design but I think I have an easy one that can be adapted to different styles. I don’t have all the exact specs but it seems to easily fit in 2.5-3.5″ border past the glass in the width, and I think it comes out to about 2.75″ thick from table surface to the bottom of the platform using two 1/4″ pieces of glass, and a 1/2″ bearing with a 1/4″ bearing to glass gap.

Barry
    Participant

Cool! I can’t remember if the bearings I have are half inch or inch… Got them out of a Cat bearing race. Not sure what part the bearing was in though. May have been one of the track rollers. Worked at a gold mine for a few months once.

1 inch!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Set it at 80mm/s but it looks like the accelerations were slowing it down?

Pretty dam loud, hopefully no one really runs it at 80, and with some more table on it maybe it will be a bit more quiet. At the end you can here the gravity assisted bearings slapping around, Might have to change that.

Barry
    Participant

You need some dampers! I put them on my Rostock after I built it because you could hear the printer throughout the house! Now I can barely hear it in the same room. The cooling fans are the loudest part.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Stepper-Vibration-Damper-Screws/dp/B06XZGCVKG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501729133&sr=8-1&keywords=steel+vibration+dampers

Jason
    Participant

I was surprised by how loud it is. I wondered if that was an artifact of the camera or if it really was that loud. Might be able to turn the power to the steppers down since I assume it doesn’t need that much power to push a little ball around in the sand.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I had a whole box of those dampers, I’m not sure if I threw them away or not, like 100 or so, I pulled them off the first few batches of mpcnc steppers I got.

There are a few things, the house was absolutely silent when I shot that. It is on the mini-rambo, so 16th stepping is a bit louder (I can test it on a ramps to see if that is a major difference). Long belts and thin wood, Maybe I created an instrument not a zen table? It really was zipping around at a lower speed maybe it won;t be so loud. Maybe the axis not being clamped in place makes it louder.

So many unknowns. I will just keep going and see what happens either way I am learning a ton about corexy.

Johnny
    Participant

Ryan, that is awesome! Well done. And I seriously need to find a way to dampen the y axis on the prusa. The bed resonates bad when it needs to move quickly. I like what you have done with that Corexy machine. Think its going to be pretty slick once the bugs are all worked out. I have faith you will get there pretty soon as its coming along quickly.

geodave
    Participant

I have not read all of this, but looks like it might be of interest in using magnets in this project. It has a cute little program a little ways down the page that calculates field strength & pulling force based on what you select for sizes of the steel element.

Does Steel Block or Improve Magnetic Strength
    http://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=block-or-extend

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 541 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.