Does this count as a build?

New Home Forum Things You Have Made Does this count as a build?

This topic contains 565 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Roland 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 541 through 566 (of 566 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Facepalm. Alpaca, not llama. Sorry. And a camel too.

This is great. It has arcs and everything. Should be a good test. This will be directly linked when I get the gcode importing to work.

Bill has me looking into letters though. I can’t remember if I’ve had that request from a bunch of people or if Bill has just asked me a bunch of times :D.

Bill
    Participant

Letters are working great now, other than kerning, lower case and different fonts. 🙂

Jeffeb3
    Participant

So, I just pushed a big update.

1) Text, more on that in a minute.
    2) Preview slider. Try it, it lets you highlight a particular part of the design, which I hope will make it easier to visualize. It’s been helpful in my development, at least.
    3) Rectangular origin moves. One of the oldest issues, but it lets you force it to crawl back to 0,0 or one of the other corners at the end of each pattern, which should help concatenate many together.
    4) Huge reorganization of the code, which should make it easier to add single features or items. The single reducer I had was getting very big and unruly. Users shouldn’t notice anything.
    5) I added a link to a donation page (liberapay). I don’t mind if no one ever uses it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

So about the text. Billsey deserves all the credit. He’s been bugging me about this since I started, and text is really hard.

Bill found some great references for simple texts. He suggested a decent compact format to define each letter and number, as well as wrote basically a complete uppercase font [A-Z0-9]. He and I have managed to get something working without spending a person-month on it.

That being said, text is hard. So here are some tips I have to make them not suck:
    – Make them big. They don’t really come out if they are too small.
    – Be careful with the growing and spinning. The grow should especially be reduced. Skewing a star is cool. Skewing a ‘B’ looks lazy.
    – Try the offset with a spin. That looks pretty cool to me.

I really wanted to have a design done that says, “Thank You Bill”, but it’s not finished, and I have an appointment. Here is a screenshot (when are we going to get that exclamation point?):

screenshot-2019-01-02-1546472560

I’m serious when I say that contributions are super helpful. They help me see things from a new perspective, they reduce my workload, and they motivate me to get to the keyboard. Super big thank you Bill!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I forgot one more thing. There is a new green line for moving a shape along a circular track. I am trying to strike a balance between this being super complicated and being barely useful. I hope you like it. Thanks to jaygrovr for the idea.

screenshot-2019-01-02-1546472829

Jeffeb3
    Participant

IMG_20190102_165636

I made the mistake of starting too small, see?

Ryan
    Keymaster

DUDE!!! I wanna play with it……I gotta bag hardware, gahhhhh. You guys are the best!

You might want to add another link, PayPal is 2.9%+$0.30, best rate I can find, one time or reoccurring.

This has come so far, I actually update my table at least every few days now. So awesome. I really need to help out and get some new hardware designs going. (I am testing a little 1 part MP3DP update soon). Zen is next.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

You might want to add another link, PayPal is 2.9%+$0.30, best rate I can find, one time or reoccurring.

I can look into it. Liberapay doesn’t take a cut and is connected to my paypal. So I think it’s the same fees.

Bill
    Participant

Heheh, you do know that an exclamation point has dot in it? We’re going to have to implement a double line font or a way for the magnet to repel before I get that one done. 🙂

Maybe a small circle with a long oval above it, connected by a single line? Not going to look much like the rest of the font…

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I made a period by making a circle.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Some hearts

screenshot-2019-01-13-1547442288

I found this equation on the wolfram website for hearts. I think it’s really neat that it makes a heart with just a simple equation:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HeartCurve.html

// heart equation from: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HeartCurve.html
                heart_points.push(Vertex(1.0 * Math.pow(Math.sin(angle), 3),
                                         13.0/16.0 * Math.cos(angle) +
                                         -5.0/16.0 * Math.cos(2.0 * angle) +
                                         -2.0/16.0 * Math.cos(3.0 * angle) +
                                         -1.0/16.0 * Math.cos(4.0 * angle)))

Jeff
    Participant

Good lord – the brain power in this thread is staggering!!  I started reading it, got 2 pages in and my ADHD kicked in and I skipped to the last 2 pages but even in that little bit, the work that has gone into this is beyond amazing!!  You have to love the Crowd Source method of problem solving.

The parts for my MP3DP arrive today.  Thanks Ryan!!  Once I get that up and running and calibrated, I know my next project will be to turn a table I have into one of these!  It’s going to be an interesting project because the table is a coffee table, about 2’ x 6’ with 3 glass sections in the top, each separated by about a 2” wood divider.  When I get home, I’ll snap some pics and post them here to see what you all think would be the best route to take.  I’m definitely going to have to tap into the Borg collective to get this one built!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

a coffee table, about 2’ x 6’ with 3 glass sections in the top, each separated by about a 2” wood divider. When I get home, I’ll snap some pics and post them here to see what you all think would be the best route to take. I’m definitely going to have to tap into the Borg collective to get this one built!

You’re going to need three ZXYs. One in each window.

Jeff
    Participant

I was thinking about that, I was also thinking of either just doing 1 in the center section or just doing one big one and not worrying about the dividers (the dividers are only about 2” in depth and don’t go to the floor). I will have to post pics of the table.

Mark Roland
    Participant

I just registered for the forum because I wanted to share my build and say thank you to @jeffeb3 for Sandify.

I started my build over 10 years ago (https://markroland.com/portfolio/gravitable), but it sat around until about 4 months ago when I started it up again, and wow, it’s so cool to see a whole community of people geeking out over sand tables!

Here’s a link to a video I shot tonight of a Sandify pattern on my table: https://vimeo.com/319150613

Under the top is a Raspberry Pi connected to a GRBL Shield (https://www.synthetos.com/project/grblshield).

I have a background in web development so I’m really hoping I can contribute to the sandify repo. I have sandify running on the Pi, so the idea of adding a “play” button to run the pattern from the GUI is particularly interesting to me.

Thanks again.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I have a background in web development so I’m really hoping I can contribute to the sandify repo.

Yes, please. I am a C++ programmer, so I’m sure there’s plenty you could help with.

I think you might be the only user with grbl and a round table. Is the mechanism polar? We jave a discussion going about how best to do that.

Mark Roland
    Participant

It’s not polar, though that was how I started out 10 years ago. I’ve seen some polar builds online, but it looks like a much more complicated build process. This was my first stepper motor project, so I started with the basics.

Now that I have something to show for my work I’m hoping to start documenting my build. I’ll post a link back here when I have a home for my build docs.

[update]

Project site – https://markroland.com/portfolio/sand-table

Build Documentation – https://markroland.github.io/sand-table-build/

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I just posted another update. I increased the version of react-scripts, which only matters if you’re running locally (I think).

I also added a new option to the spin to have it reverse direction.

I fixed a bug where enter would refresh and remove your work.

Does anyone feel like giving me a nice photo of their table and the associated screenshot of sandify used to make it? I’d like to add a picture to the githib, but my table is a bit shabby.

Mark Roland
    Participant

I went to do a new pattern this morning and   noticed the new switchbacks! Wow.

I’d be happy to contribute a photo of my table. I wish the plotting area covered the whole “canvas” but it’s what I have for now. I’m working on documentation now so I will  be taken some pictures soon.

Here’s a quick snap from this mornings switchback.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Cool. That upgrade was an idea suggested in the githib issues. It was pretty easy to implement and fits well in the ecosystem.

That table looks very nice. It’s too bad it isn’t polar, but it looks great and the outside sand is pretty smooth. I feel like I need to prototype something to get the polar Marlin machines going. I just have a project list that’s too long.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I can’t wait to get my table going again (gunna try running from a 20v tool battery)! New design options, you are an animal with the Sandify updates.

Mark Roland
    Participant

Just read through this whole thread. Wow, just wow. Kuddos to you guys for passionately developing this for 18+ months.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is everything we do here, make something, iterate, make it again a little better than the last time, have fun, share the experience.

Mark Roland
    Participant

I’ve still been plugging away at my sand table. I’ve been adding an LED strip around the perimeter, doing some rewiring and have been using Processing to generate patterns. I’ve used Processing for years, but am new to using the JS fork of it at P5js.org.

I wanted to share it with you all in case you’re interested. I have it hosted at https://markroland.github.io/sand-table-pattern-maker/. Right now I just have a spiral, but I have several other patterns I’m re-writing from Processing in Java.

I really don’t have any intention of this competing with Sandify – I just want to focus on the pattern generation and using Processing was my quickest path. Maybe you’ll be able to look at my source and easily convert it over to Sandify. I’d be 100% okay with that.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Very neat! Is the source available on your github?

Mark Roland
    Participant
Viewing 26 posts - 541 through 566 (of 566 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.