Does this count as a build?

New Home Forum Things You Have Made Does this count as a build?

This topic contains 540 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 511 through 540 (of 541 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

OK. The circle lobe option and the star ratio features are up and running. I also added a place to name it something from the UI (this was bothering me).

Most of the work I just did was for the Sisyphus folks. I hope I didn’t break anything in the process.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Mad genius!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

So, the sisyphus community has been at this for a while, and they have a pretty good repository of patterns they share, and they have a clever feature, which is that they are all proportional to the size of the machine. So a pattern that works on a 1m machine would work on a 0.5m machine, but be half the size. There are a bunch of these thetarho patterns around (in reddit.com/r/SisyphusIndustries and there are a few power users that host their designs on their own). What if we made a tab in sandify to read in the thetarho, and create gcode from them, limited to the smallest dimension. So if you had a 500mmx500mm table, you could make one of their patterns scaled to a 250mm radius. It wouldn’t be able to paint in the corners, but I think it wouldn’t be too much code.

WDYT?

Ryan
    Keymaster

That sounds pretty awesome.

I wonder how well our softstops work. If we over scale it to fill and have the firmware set to our exact table size…it should ignore out of bounds moves in the right way as to not screw up the actual position, I think.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I was testing that on accident today, actually. I don’t have sand on the ZXY ATM, but I had the bed size set in Marlin to 220×220 or whatever my MP3DP was, and I sent in a 500×500 pattern. It actually gracefully stopped going, and didn’t complain or anything. I tried something similar with grbl the other day, and it’s “soft stops” are, if you ask for something outside of it’s set bounds, it will pause. It’s “hard stops” are, if you ask for something outside of it’s set bounds, it will halt, and require a reset… I have them disabled for now, which means it will just crash. Marlin did a good job though.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

(Also, I love that this, now 18 page, thread is tagged with Sous Vide).

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sweet! So we can over size those patterns to our entire build (diameter=to diagonal of table) or just to a circle in the center (oval? ). Wow, so is that sort of converter fairly easy in your opinion, that sounds pretty freaking cool? Those patterns seem bonkers and insanely complex, I would love to see one on my table.

Ryan
    Keymaster

mmmm Love my sous vide..

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It will take some work. I don’t actually know how to upload a file 🙂

But if I had the file, the conversion from polar to rectangular should be pretty easy, just have to do some serious testing and the resulting files might be huge.

Those vertices would be part of the input, so sandify would do the limit enforcement regardless of the size. The preview should show it and I think it wouldn’t be too hard to make a zoom parameter too.

I haven’t done much research on the sisyphus tools. There are some java (not JavaScript :)) tools I’ve seen but not been able to run. This may be a way to add a very useful toolset for square people.

Bill
    Participant

Once it’s working for round patterns on square tables how hard would it be to scale into ovals for rectangular tables?I won’t even mention the possibility of using smart wipes that only wipe the area not covered in the next pattern. 😉

Ryan
    Keymaster

You can just put in your diagonal dimension instead of X or Y, and let the firmware do the hard work. As for smart wipes….

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Two zoom parameters? Good idea. Or maybe an option to either be the right aspect, or stretch to the table size?

Smart wipes would be tough, but with the right math, it’s possible. It will be a lot of dumb if, else logic, I imagine.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I was really hoping to get this deployed before I left for our pre-thanksgiving feast, but I didn’t get enough done last night. I’ll hopefully have some time to work on that tonight.

Here’s proof that it’s working though. I’m very impressed with the quality of the thr file. It’s from here:

Happy Thanksgiving! from SisyphusIndustries

And it’s from /u/markyland. Really excellent detail.

turkey

I’m forcing it’s size to be a radius of 250mm, and it’s limited to the conservative values on my little sand table (15-475 in each direction). My plan is to have the vertices get subsampled, so large arc moves become a set of lines (the opposite of what I do for thr files), then the points will be stored with a radius of 0-1. I’ll scale them to the max_radius value if you have a polar table or the minimum of x, and y if you have a rectangular table. Then I’ll divide by 100 and multiply by a zoom value. The zoom value will be adjustable so 80% would be smaller and 120% would be bigger. I’ll also add in a button called something like “aspect ratio” and if set, it will scale the larger axis proportionally, so it would either keep the original shape, or scale to the shape of the table. Which one sort of depends on the incoming thr file.

But…. It works! Hooray!

turkey

It really makes my table look like scrap wood by comparison. :D.

If you’ve got a table about that size, and you can’t wait until I deploy this (probably tonight or maybe tomorrow night), then I’ve attached the turkey.gcode (named turkey.txt).

Someone needs to go figure out how markyland is making these patterns. I’ve seen tidbits about a tool called “SisyphusForTheRestofUs”, but I haven’t had time to find instructions on it yet. I’ve seen a .jar file, but I’m not sure if the source is available for us to work on somewhere or not.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Mad genius!!!

Ryan
    Keymaster

The detail and the crazy movements, awesome! I need to make a new Sandify logo pattern with the detail cranked up 2-3x what I was using I love these tiny sharp peaks.

Also occurred to me I might need to update the firmware, all the new motion stuff might really help the sound. That firmware is really old.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Well, while that one is running, you can work on another one. I just finished prettying it up and I pushed it to the github page (literally in the last 5 minutes).

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I found the SisyphusForTheRestOfUs: https://www.reddit.com/r/SisyphusIndustries/comments/83ryo8/sisyphusfortherestofus_is_ready_instructions_in/

It was linked in Bruce’s original thread about sandify. If anyone is brave enough to give it a go. It downloads an .msi and then wants wintopo, so I have a feeling it won’t work on my Linux box :(.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well is was running kinda funky, chugging along almost. It didn’t smooth out until I got to 83% feedrate. There are a few glitches in my pattern but it is not done yet so maybe they get covered by the turkey.

This is on a ramps and DRV’s with the old firmware. I am really wanting to try the new firmware and see if it still takes 83% to run smooth, or maybe faster or slower. Firmware coding efficiency test…

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The patterns I’ve tried sound more chunky than they are, and there are certainly artifacts as it enters and exits a zone, so when it’s on the border of the turkey, it looks a little funny.

I have a feeling you’re going to overdo it and put an archim 2 board in your two axis sand pusher. Sounds about right!

There are some IoT integrations for the sisyphus table. One of them treated it as a media player, and volumen +/- would change the speed. That seems like an awesome feature.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Best holiday collaboration, the table, the code, the design. Thanks Heffe!

IMG_20181121_2223302

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I feel like this was somehow a huge, elaborate prank, just to get you to voluntarily draw a turkey.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well if it takes that much to draw a turkey you should see how much it would take to get me to do the turkey dance!

I put it on the social media….I feel all business like now, almost takes away from it. I did it for fun then realized right before it stopped, “ohh I should have a bigger online presence”…..ughhhh.

Anywho, I also thought how cool is this, the Sisyphus table inspired me to make the Zen and someone else to make a turkey design, both of which inspired you to make Sandify and then its later revision. Pretty crazy to think of the people that went into making that turkey on my table! Not simple by any stretch, but the other side of the coin is anyone can do it now, round or square!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Please share it. The more the merrier.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I updated the firmware…huge difference. That turkey code runs at 100% feedrate this time smooth as silk, maybe even higher resolution if that is possible?

IMG_20181122_155944

I enabled all the bells and whistles. The steppers even sound different (interesting).

s-curve, lower jerk and accels just in case (seems to be faster and less clanking from direction changes), arcs (might come in handy for special sandify stuff?), adaptive smooth stepping (source of less stepper noise, or placebo?), and a low junction deviation.

Putting ramps in the github, Mini will go up in a bit.

edit-Dang I love this camera, you can see me in the ball reflection and that pen tip is 0.3mm…

edit edit–steppers might still be loud they do sound different though. Sorry, jumped the gun with some wishful thinking.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Markyland was the creator of the turkey in the previous few posts. I dropped him a line and a picture and he had this to say.

Hi everyone. Great work!!! It’s an honor that you transfered the turkey to another table. I’ve used your software to make a few neat designs for my table as well.
    Anyways, I just want to introduce myself and let you know what I’ve been working on. I’m just a Sisyphus customer, but I’ve written some programs to help make new

designs/tracks and if you look at the subreddit you’ll see I’m a little obsessed. I probably won’t have time to help you out coding wise, however I’m happy to explain what

I’ve done and help you port and/or grow it if you are interested. Plus there is obviously some overlap, so no point in reinventing the wheel.

My first project was Logo (turtle graphics stuff). I saw you mentioned you were interested in working on that and I wrote it in javascript so I’m happy to hand it off to

you if you want. http://markyland.atwebpages.com/logosisyphus/ The souce code is linked there and I’m sure you could make another downloader for your type of table

fairly easily. Let me know if you are interested and I’ll give you more info on it.

I then built SisyphusForTheRestOfUs. I assure you there is no virus in the msi! It takes a vector file and uses the Chinese Postman Algorithm to find the optimal path. That’s a very complicated piece of code, but I’m happy to walk you through anything. There’s no good reason that its an msi since its Java however in order to make the vector file you need a Windows program called WinTopo. I’ve actually implemented a good chunk of what I need from WinTopo in java too, but I stopped working on it. If you are interested in making a web version of all of this though let me know. I’ve actaully secured a professional license to WinTopo and I was thinking we could make a javascript front end and then have a servlet-like thing to run the java and WinTopo exe.

Then I built a host of tools to help me build the fill patterns for SisyphusForTheRestOfUs. It’s not user friendly by any means and a great thing that could be integrated into your UI. It’s actually quite similiar in a way to what you have been working on, but without the nice UI.

Then there are a bunch of other tools that either didn’t pan out or was just used for a single track. Stuff like a maze generator, a photo printer which actually works, but looks pretty ugly, and a bunch of experiements.

And since then I’ve just been churning out tracks. Again, I’m thrilled that you have drawn my turkey. I post these tracks and I have absolutely no idea if zero or 100 people use them.

Message me on reddit at /u/markyland if you want to chat more. Good luck!

David Walling
    Participant

I really need to take another look at making one of these…

karltinsly
    Participant

Holy moley! I’ve been content to let my table sit in the living room and draw the designs I built with Sandify and on my own last year, and then I stop by here, and Jeff’s taken it to a whole new level by tapping into the sisysphus community! Bravo! I know I’m going to be spending some time with Sandify in the next couple of weeks!

Thanks, Jeff – you’re awesome!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Karl, do you keep your gcode files public somewhere? I am thinking of imoorting them the way I do thr files, so I could scale your llama for my table.

karltinsly
    Participant

Hi Jeff, I’d be happy to share my gcode files. I’ll put them up on github shortly and let you know when they’re there.

karltinsly
    Participant

Hi Jeff, my designs are at https://github.com/karltinsly/SandTableDesigns. I only included the ones I created, with the exception of the one where I used Sandify to create a different design in each of the four corners.

Viewing 30 posts - 511 through 540 (of 541 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.