Do I need to install software for Rambo board?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Do I need to install software for Rambo board?

This topic contains 57 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

CAUTION!! I noticed you don’t have all 5 (2 x, 2 y and 1 z) stepper connections hooked up. Dual end stop operation will require each stepper to have it’s own driver.

Curious… my version of FW allows movement (in either direction) without homing first. I’ll have to verify when I get… home… /badum-chish

I was stationed at Guam for 3 years in the 60’s… very similar to Louisiana… only worse… now I’m in San Diego 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

I just looked up your order, you do not have dual endstop firmware. That means you have a connection issue, Now I am going to lunch.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Laptop i7 6500 cpu with Win 10.

I’m not taking anything out on anyone helping me.

I don’t like texting because it’s easy to misunderstand others. Primarily on forums, FB, et al.

I do not have a dual system because I didn’t get the extra cables for the second X Y. Unless these black and white wires are what you are referring to. You have my order there so please look it up and see what you sent me.

I’m just a customer. I’m no one important. I get it. I’d just like what I bought to work. I can’t read minds and being mildly autistic, I sometimes have problems understanding things. People get frustrated.

I’ve asked for help. I’ve managed to get this far and need help. I’ll be here waiting because I really don’t have a choice, do I? I have reinstalled Arduino. I don’t have any idea now if I bought the unit with dual endstops or not. I didn’t see anything on the build pages that indicated I needed to install endstops anywhere so maybe I missed something. If so, I need to go back and install those. I will need you or someone else to help me.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The most simple way to keep confusion out is questions with as many details as possible and answers that are direct and to the point.

It seems we are at a connection issue. It can be a bad USB cable, a wonky USB port on the computer, driver issue, or just the wrong port selected in repetier. I suggest you try those. A way around it is plug in your LCD try all variations until you get a screen, power down before unplugging wires.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Endstops! That’s the ticket! Don’t try to home the machine yet, but with the switches connected to the Rambo – that should enable the steppers.

Here’s pics. Not sure how these connect to the steppers on the other end.

Zed just plugs into the board directly,  right?

Do these (black and white wires) plug into the connectors on the XY cables?

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

Sorry for the run around, but I didn’t notice Ryan’s reply in time – he confirmed you don’t have the dual endstop version. On the bright side, connecting the endstops won’t hurt anything.

Is your LCD working now?

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I haven’t tried it yet. I can’t read the board to tell where EXT 1 and Ext 2 go? Being old sucks.

I posted the pic of the endstop wires but I’m worried because the instructions say there’s an S + and – but the board only lets me plug into it one way. I can’t see any S, + or = on it but microprint is hard to read, even with glasses. LOL

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I’m going through all the different ways. Red stripe to left so either one of two ways for the things to plug in. Going to power up now. Fingers crossed.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

It (LCD)  finally came on.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I grew up in Coronado. SD is my home. My wife’s from here. My best friends are from Guam. I’m Uncle Houlie to all of his family. My ex was an E&E at NASNI and my mom worked at NARF until she retired. NAVY family! Both sons and me are USAF. Should have gone USN.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

LCD is finally working.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Didn’t see this before. Phone wouldn’t let me switch over to next page.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I took all of the black and white cables back off. LCD is working. Now what? Better to do this slow once. I reconnected the XY&Z connectors. Blue wire to right on connectors? That’s how I have them connected. My computer only shows COM 3 on the Device Manager, I was hoping it would have RAMBO instead of com 3 – USB device; but no.

Reinstalled Arduino completely. Repetier too.

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

Small world. I love Coronado, my brother recently retired from the base there. We had my nephew’s graduation party right next to the SEAL CQB setup on the beach.

Now that the LCD is finally working, ditch the PC (for now) and get your steppers moving. Can you navigate through the operation menu on the LCD using the knob? (push the knob to select, rotate to pick/activate). Try moving the Z axis first – less of chance of breaking things.

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

I should’ve inspected your pictures better, looks like your 12V connection is plugged in wrong? The bottom two connections are for the motors.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Took a break from the heat and humidity. Cooked dinner and back now.

Spent many days there at NAB and across at SEAL Team One with friends I went to HS with. They are SEALs. Not me. They are crazy, Hell razin, beer drinkin, Seagull munchin maniacs. Even now, in old age, they still are crazy.

Okay.

Removing the USB. Let’s see what happens.

Okay: V1 E CNC Ready –

Clicked once to go to next screen.

Chose MOTION Clicked,

Chose MOVE AXIS, selected Move X, Move 10, turned knob to get to =050.0

Clicked and nothing.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

It’s freaking amazing when they all move because the steppers have power. They are now moving in all axis! Y to my left is positive, right is negative

X towards me is positive, away is negative

Z kept going up until it came out!

Hmmmm.

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

It lives! Congrats, that was a big step.

For any axis moving in the “wrong” direction, all you need to do is rotate the corresponding 4-pin motor connection 180deg. Stepper motion using the LCD knob starts when the knob is rotated, not clicked (at least that’s the way mine behaves). You maybe had a whole bunch of move commands queued up, that would cause the Z to keep moving past its limits. If you haven’t setup an emergency stop button, hit the reset button on the RAMPS if you reach the physical end of the travels.

Once you’ve got all the motors moving in the correct manner, then it’s time to figure out why Repetier won’t connect.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Yup. I think that’s what happened. EZ fix too. I screwed it back down into the machine. Z only goes a couple of inches!

How do I tell the machine where home is? I want it to go to the front left corner.

Thanks for catching that motor thing. That was frustrating me for two days. Now I have to figure out how to mount the Dewalt 660 on the machine and I have to install some bracing supports for the midspans.

What do you use your machine for 3D printing, laser or woodcarving?

Thanks again,

Mike

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

I plan to do a bunch of 2.5D carving for various wood projects, POM/acrylic parts for custom PC cooling, enclosures for all the “stuff” I build. Researching chipping aluminum at the moment, looks like some have had decent results… nothing fancy, just flat panels and corresponding holes with engraved lettering for labeling I/O ports, etc. I don’t have room for the Lowrider (yet), eventually want to do large furniture projects.

So much of this hobby overlaps with my day job, so I try to keep it fun and low stress.

How do I tell the machine where home is? I want it to go to the front left corner.

Without endstop homing, “Home” (0,0,0) is anywhere you want it to be by using the G92 X0 Y0 Z0 command. I think “Reset all coordinates” command on the LCD does this as well. If you don’t want to “eyeball” or use the paper sliding trick to home the Z position, I recommend a Z axis probe. You can get one from Amazon for about $8. I made mine from an old chunk of aluminum stock I had laying around – tapped a 6-32 hole, attached a solder lug and and alligator clip and I was off and running. Probably should’ve bought the Amazon probe it was so cheap but I was in a hurry to get things flying 🙂

I’d 3D print the pen holder if you haven’t already and run the “Crown” test file available on this site. You can do it from the LCD interface using the “print from SD” command.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

That’s what I want to do. I wanted the Lowrider for Victorian Furniture building. I have a seller that can move the pieces if I can make them good enough. I’m going to be making urns (pet ashes, and my mom’s ashes too). I’ll try out the reset to see where it goes.

I gotta get some foam. I think I can get that green foam to carve at Wallyworld. Lowes doesn’t have the pink foam anymore – or I couldn’t find it yesterday when I was there.

What do they call the probe on Amazon? I need that. Just makes sense.

I have a bunch of pallet wood I’ve separated for projects. I just gotta cut the nails off or drill them out. Don’t want to bust my bits.

Acrylic seems like it would clog up the tool. Are you using a single flute?

I teach at a university so I get some perks (pay isn’t one). I get Vcarve Pro for free. I have 2018 Artcam, Autocad Fusion 360 and all the other software programs they make.  Artcam and Vcarve seem like the best to use. Now that I can start using this machine, I can start using software and decide which is the best choice. Vcarve is but they wouldn’t give me the free files… bummer.

Off to bed. Sweltering heat here. AC isn’t doing anything. It feels like I’m in the South Pacific.

Thanks again. Say hi to my hometown.

Mike

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

What do they call the probe on Amazon? I need that. Just makes sense.

This is the one I saw

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Axis-Setting-Touch-Compatible-Router/dp/B074R8J2KS/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=z+axis+probe&qid=1558500980&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I appreciate it. Perfect. Now to find the foam to carve.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Here’s a link to free stl files:  https://www.stlfinder.com

Barry
    Participant

Any rigid foam insulation will work other than the white beaded Styrofoam stuff(cheap beer cooler).  Some folks have good luck with it, but I’ve had it shoot foam beads out of the board.  I think lowes has blue or green foam insulation, that will work.  You’ll definitely want a vacuum running when cutting foam.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

HD has it. 2″ 4×8 $35.00 Pink foam and def a vacuum cleaner will be needed. Messy.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I got the foam for $6.00 from HD. 1″x 2’x2′ ouch. They have some 2″ for $36.00 – 4×8′

I figure I can do a lot with what I got.

Not going to break my flutes on wood. I was wondering if you have used Vcarve Pro or Aspire? Are they like ESTLCAM?

Barry
    Participant

No idea.

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.