Do I need to install software for Rambo board?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Do I need to install software for Rambo board?

This topic contains 57 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I have everything assembled. Green LED lights up. LED Display is attached.

I read Install Arduino. How? I hooked up the USB and saw Rambo on my laptop. Is it set up now? I thought it was preloaded.

Ryan
    Keymaster

If you follow the instructions step by step it will be easier to help if you get stuck.

From this link, https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/electronics/, it looks like you are on “software”, “first use”

From there what is your actual question, it says install arduino (with a link) BEFORE you plug in your board. You plugged in your board so are you beyond that point, what is wrong, why ask a a question, what happens in repetier (the next step)?

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I installed the Arduino software. My question is what is next. My board is unpowered. I followed the instructions and that’s where I’m at. You know what helps? A literal video step by step walkthrough from start to finish of building these. Then you wouldn’t have to answer so many questions and be snarky to your customers.

So again, what is next? How do I get the thing up so I can use it?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I am not being snarky, I am not sure why you feel that way. I am asking a very detailed question. You are building a complicated piece of equipment, I can not afford to be vague. If you break it you are going to demand your money back.

If you do not like or appreciate they way I answer tell me and I will leave your questions for others?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

You assumed I didn’t read the set up info. I did. I didn’t understand what you have and I asked. I installed Repetier, set the settings in PRINTER, set the connection, I connected  and the blue screen on theLCD controller is blank. I tried to move the motors using the xy controller on Repetier. Again, nothing happens.  Here are pictures

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I disconnected the whole LCD screen  and restarted.  Again, nothing.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You assumed I didn’t read the set up info. I did.

I did not assume anything. I asked you for clarification.

blue screen on theLCD controller is blank.

These means it is plugged in wrong, nothing to do with repetier.

I tried to move the motors using the xy controller on Repetier. Again, nothing happens. Here are pictures

The picture you show is 0.1mm X movement, that is almost nothing, very hard to see. Did you try larger movements? Do you get an error? Do any of the steppers lock up when you tried to move them? Did you buy a dual endstop kit or no?

Mike Atencio
    Participant

When I select Print, it returns Print finished. I’m not using it for pla printing.

Ryan
    Keymaster

All you should be using at this point is the manual movement buttons and connect/disconnect.

The picture you show is 0.1mm X movement, that is almost nothing, very hard to see. Did you try larger movements? Do you get an error? Do any of the steppers lock up when you tried to move them? Did you buy a dual endstop kit or no?

Mike Atencio
    Participant

How is the LCD supposed to be installed? I see EXP 1 and EXP 2 on the controller back which one goes into which port and which way does the red stripe go?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I suggest you just unplug it for now, it is not needed.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I unplugged it. I thought I added this comment.  . These are my scree shots from set up page.  I tried moving it 50. Nothing. Could my belts be too tight.?

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

I’ll jump in, hopefully you won’t interpret my help as “snarky” as well!

I have to make some assumptions about your configuration, so bear with me.

You bought the Rambo from V1 so Marlin is pre-installed. You didn’t mention anything about dual endstops or a Smart LCD screen so I’ll assume that you’re using the “vanilla” version. You say you installed the “software”, so I’ll assume you meant the Arduino USB drivers.

Important: verify your PC/laptop can “see” the Rambo as a device connected as a COM(n) device. If you don’t know how to do this chime in

Then/Or

Assuming you installed Repetier, the next step is making sure Repetier-Host can communicate with your Rambo by connecting to it (you should see an icon in the upper left of the Repetier window for that purpose).  Clicking on it will tell Repetier to connect to the Rambo.

Once you get Repetier connected, then you can start telling your machine to start moving (manual control). Baby steps, move in 0.1 or 1mm steps. Anything larger and you can bust something if one of your opposing steppers are reversed. Note: if you opted for a Smart LCD screen, you don’t need a PC – you can command movements from the LCD panel. Some folks opt to put their g-code on a flash and use the LCD instead of a dedicated connection to a PC.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Do any of the steppers lock up when you tried to move them? Did you buy a dual endstop kit or no?

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

I forget – do the Rambo boards require stepper current adjustment? (potentiometer tweaking) Or are they pre-configured for the steppers you provide…

Ryan
    Keymaster

Nope, good to go.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Just getting frustrated after building for 6 days. How about this. Call me or I’ll call you. 318 433-1833

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry I can not offer phone support.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I’ll jump in, hopefully you won’t interpret my help as “snarky” as well!

Nope. I’m  good. 

I have to make some assumptions about your configuration, so bear with me.

You bought the Rambo from V1 so Marlin is pre-installed. You didn’t mention anything about dual endstops or a Smart LCD screen so I’ll assume that you’re using the “vanilla” version. You say you installed the “software”, so I’ll assume you meant the Arduino USB drivers.

Yes, but with the LCD screen. I will be wood carving with this. I installed Arduino software and Repetier.

Important: verify your PC/laptop can “see” the Rambo as a device connected as a COM(n) device. If you don’t know how to do this chime in
    This might be my issue. I looked it up in Printers and settings. Not there. Maybe I’m so worn out I’m not looking in the right location 
    Then/Or

Assuming you installed Repetier, the next step is making sure Repetier-Host can communicate with your Rambo by connecting to it (you should see an icon in the upper left of the Repetier window for that purpose). Clicking on it will tell Repetier to connect to the Rambo.

I click connect but there’s nothing about RAMBo

Once you get Repetier connected, then you can start telling your machine to start moving (manual control). Baby steps, move in 0.1 or 1mm steps. Anything larger and you can bust something if one of your opposing steppers are reversed. Note: if you opted for a Smart LCD screen, you don’t need a PC – you can command movements from the LCD panel. Some folks opt to put their g-code on a flash and use the LCD instead of a dedicated connection to a PC.

I do this with my 3D printer  (Anet A8)

I have the LCD smart screen but could figure out how to hook it up. 

My ph number 318 433 1833 if you want to walk me through this. Faster than texting. Thanks for stepping in.

Ryan
    Keymaster

This might be my issue. I looked it up in Printers and settings. Not there. Maybe I’m so worn out I’m not looking in the right location

Unplug it and install arduino and its associated drivers. Make sure to reboot your computer after.

Most important is why we have asked this multiple times.

Ryan wrote: Do any of the steppers lock up when you tried to move them? Did you buy a dual endstop kit or no?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Ryan. Reason: clarity

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Steppers don’t move. Locked up, unlocked, ain’t got a clue. They don’t  move, period. The have never moved.

I retensioned the belts completely. Just in case but nothing changed. Still don’t  move.

Arduino is already installed.  Completely. You want me to uninstall and reinstall again?  I shut my PC down and restarted after the install. My computer said it was setting up Rambo.

Still nothing.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I bought the dual endstop kit, I think but, I did not install because you said it would be more difficult. I have stop switches in a bag of connectors. They haven’t been used.

Ryan
    Keymaster

We are trying to help, I understand you are frustrated, if you need to please walk away and take a break. positivity is the best way to get as much help as possible.

You are saying you have done everything correctly and it is still not moving. We are asking very specific questions to try and figure out why it is not working for you in the least amount of steps possible.

Steppers don’t move. Locked up, unlocked, ain’t got a clue. They don’t move, period. The have never moved.

I am asking if when you tell repetier to move your steppers if they lock up? As in does anything change when you tell it to move? Does the control portion of the screen say “x commands waiting”?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Ryan.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Ryan. Reason: spelling

Ryan
    Keymaster

I bought the dual endstop kit, I think but, I did not install because you said it would be more difficult. I have stop switches in a bag of connectors. They haven’t been used.

The end stops have to be installed or the steppers will not move until homed which can not be done until you have endstops.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

In Rep, again no. No, they do not move at all. I select 10, 50 in all directions and they are not moving at all. I don’t think the board is seeing my pc.

FYI – I already took several breaks. I’m back to try again. It’s 90 degrees and high humidity here. Even with the AC it’s miserable. It wears a man out. If I seem testy, it’s probably that I’m being hollered at by my wife for spending so much on something that isn’t working. And the heat and humidity isn’t helping. It’s Louisiana and that’s just life here. Honestly, I would love to move back to Lake Tahoe. For now, I’m here.

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

I too avoid forum/interwebs phone stuff… at least until I get to know the other party better. Plus I’m at work at the moment (I’m an old school EE working for the Ginormous Military Industrial Complex).

I suggest getting the LCD screen to work first, mainly to ensure the firmware and Rambo are healthy before talking to the PC. I noticed from the photo that the headers don’t have the keyed shroud for automatic alignment – in your case pin 1 should be marked on the header (and the red stripe is pin 1 on the cable). Ext1 and Ext2 should be connected to their respective #1 and #2 headers… obviously… not snark… not snark… 😉

Once you know the Rambo/LCD combo is working properly you can choose to control the steppers from that interface (rather clunky compared to point-and-click windows, but effective) or figure out why USB isn’t working.

Use the Device Manager in windows instead Printers/Settings. The MPCNC Rambo connection should show up as a Comm Port if the drivers installed correctly. Debugging a wonky USB connection is a whole new effort in itself… don’t get me started on all the nightmares I’ve had configuring things for USB operation.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well taking it out on the guy that is helping you and several others at the same time sucks.  We all have crap to deal with most of us hang out here because it is fun and no one gets testy with us here. This is usually my escape.

As I said you can only move in the negative direction because you do not have endstops plugged in. I am going to go get lunch and take a break. If you are not connected you should explain what type of computer you have and what software  and operating system you are using.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

The end stops have to be installed or the steppers will not move until homed which cannot be done until you have endstops.

So how do I know if that’s what I bought?

2. I guess I need to go back and install them?

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

Endstops! That’s the ticket! Don’t try to home the machine yet, but with the switches connected to the Rambo – that should enable the steppers.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.