Shop Updates (originally Decided to move)

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Shop Updates (originally Decided to move)

This topic contains 93 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  David Walling 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 94 total)
  • Author

Geoffrey
    Participant

“You don’t know how to use google maps???”

The answer is a definitive NO.  Nor if they were able to use Maps, would they be able to understand the distance in miles as no one can read a map anymore.

David Walling
    Participant

I’ve been leery to say anything, but I think I can give a small update.

We finally have a buyer for our house. The option period ended last night and they agreed to take cash in lieu of us trying to fix anything.

As long as they get final approval on their loan (they’re already pre-approved), then we should be moving mid-June.

Ryan
    Keymaster

High five!

David Walling
    Participant

My previous post said mid-June…

I just realized that we’ll be moving week after next. While numerically, that might be mid-June, it sure does feel a lot sooner all of a sudden.

Most of my shop/garage is packed up at this point. I still need to go through my scrap bucket and figure out what I really want to take vs throw away. The storage shed and most of the garage was already in big plastic buckets.

I need to go buy some more ratchet straps and some tarps for holding everything down during the move.

My neighbor is letting me borrow his 16′ tandem trailer since I wasn’t able to buy one. My BIL and his father both drive 26′ cargo trucks with lift gates for a living. I should have access to one of them for most of the 4 days we have scheduled to move, and I should have access to both of them on at least Saturday. I really don’t think it will take all 4 days to move, but I like to over plan.

Tomorrow will be spent calling services and getting them either moved or cancelled. Most of our service providers don’t offer service at the new house.

We still have a lot of stuff inside the house to pack, but my wife is a teacher and she’s out for the summer. She’s one of those types that will put her headphones in and start on a project and just keep going and going and going.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Throw it away! I actually miss moving a little. When I moved a bunch in college and right after, I liked how cathartic it was to be forced to go through everything and throw stuff away. I am amazed at how much crap collects in the house, but outside of my knowledge…

How exciting though. This is a fun time. Great time of year to do it too.

David Walling
    Participant

I’ve been throwing out 1 trashcan of ‘stuff’ each week for the last month. I’m definitely not moving everything.

Bill
    Participant

“Throw it away”, I’m not sure I really know what that means… 🙂 I was gradually bringing a box or two home from my storage unit each week I was down at the coast. I’d open it, do some sorting and consolidation and typically end up with one or two boxes from every  three I brought home. The week before my last surgery I opened one that had a few electronic gizmos I recognized from the late 80s or early 90s (probably from my move from a rental in Hillsboro, OR to my first purchased home in the same city) and another sealed box. Opening the sealed box revealed a bunch of unopened bills dating from 1983, gently packaged to deal with when I moved from Newberg, OR to Lebanon, OR in that year. I wonder if they ever got paid?

David Walling
    Participant

T-3 days until we start moving.

Had the final walk through yesterday. While we were there, the current home owner showed up to finish some clean up so I got to talk to him. He showed me where he has a conduit running between the garage and the shop for running a network cable. He just never pulled one through.

He also said that he wasn’t planning on taking the riding lawn mower that was there. He said the battery is shot on it so he has to jump it every time he mows, but it will keep me from having to buy a new one right away.

Barry
    Participant

Handy!

Ryan
    Keymaster

So if I am keeping score correctly that is a win, win!

Ned van Geffen
    Participant

wow, that looks cool!

It’s always fun to see other houses and styles and prices in other countries 🙂

To me that seems like a steal from where i live and how much houses here are haha. My house was about the same price but only got 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 car garage (that houses the laundry too) and about 12% of the land you got haha. Oh, and no pool….

Barry
    Participant

I’m still amazed at the price of houses in Cali.  I’ve seen 1 bedroom apartments go for as much as my 4000sqft house on 3 acres.  There is nothing in Cali that’s worth that kind of hassle.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Preach!

1 user thanked author for this post.

David Walling
    Participant

So if I am keeping score correctly that is a win, win!

Yes. I think we’re up to +1 on the oh shit/win category for this move now. We were definitely down to a -4 at one point.

I keep telling myself… the shop will be worth it, the shop will be worth it…

David Walling
    Participant

Alright guys. It’s been a bit since the last update.

We are moved in to the new house. We did 90% of the move in one trip. We had access to two 26′ trucks, my truck with a 16′ tandem trailer, my uncle’s truck with his enclosed trailer, and 2 smaller vehicles.

My poor half ton was riding dirty with all the weight in the bed plus the trailer. Luckily we were only move 16 miles, so I never went above 50.

I started packing the bed of the truck at 7 am and we finished unloading everything but the bed of my truck at 8:30 pm.

Today we had internet installed. I paid the installer $75 to run a cat-5e from the switch in the garage out to the switch in the shop. Nice high-quality shielded cable. I think it was money well spent.

I found out that I’m only 2 houses away from the fixed wireless connect point. I also found out that the connect point is connected to their fiber backbone, so I should never see slow speeds due to over-subscribed lines. So far my unifi router is telling me it’s averaging around 20-30mb with spikes to 80mb. I’m paying for 50.

It’s nice and quiet out here. The neighbors have two kids about my kids’ ages. I got home from work yesterday and my daughter came running up to tell me about the crawdad hunting they did all day.

The previous owner left us a trampoline and his riding mower. I’ll use the riding mower until the zero turn I want goes on sale again. Then I’ll upgrade. Maybe keep both so that I can have help mowing this lot 🙂

I have a few shop pictures from before I filled it up with crap and one for right after the move.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

How awesome. Crawdad hunting is the best. Sorry you’re not going to be able to relax for a while, but it will be well worth it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Looks amazing in that shop! I am sure the honey do list is huge but soon enough you will get to enjoy it!

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

Awesome house and I’m so stunned by how cheap that is…

I just moved to a new house last week too. Unfortunately I’m poor so I can only afford to rent it, but it’s pretty big for Shanghai, with a nice little garden and generally more space despite a smaller garage.

Just to compare the prices, here in Shanghai the new home would sell for around 1.5 Million USD… for around 250 square meters of habitable space and about 400 square meter of garden. That’s considered like a huge surface here.

I still have to organize all my stuff, that will take a while…

2 users thanked author for this post.

David Walling
    Participant

I’ve gotten to spend a little time in the shop so far. I spent Saturday and Sunday morning out there trying to organize a little. I have a few temporary shelves put up and started to fill them.

Last night I spent some time getting the lawn tractor running that the previous owner left behind. All it needed was a new battery. I then mowed part of the lot to try it out.

Barry
    Participant

Heh, one of my dad’s neighbors dropped a riding lawnmower off at his house.  Told him he could keep it and had already purchased a new one.  Said this one doesn’t cut grass for crap!  Dad looked it over, flipped the blades over and it’s been cutting one of my cousin’s yards ever since!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I think it is really hard to wear a power tool out. Old tools have a ton of value.

David Walling
    Participant

When I get some room in the shop to move things around I’ll take some pictures of my tool collection.

David Walling
    Participant

Morning aerial display while drinking my morning drink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bthsnpQSW74&t=2s

David Walling
    Participant

I noticed I’ve been making quite a few posts regarding the new shop. I think I’ll turn this thread into a ‘shop’ thread and start putting shop updates in this one.

This weekend, it was time to do away with the saw horses. They’ve served me well, but the work surface is small and not necessarily flat. I took Saturday to build a new work surface. It’s a full 4’x8′ rolling workbench. As with most of my work benches, the top is 3/4″ MDF with a 1/8″ layer of Masonite on top. The Masonite is inset by a pine edging and is not glued down. Gravity keeps it from floating away and the pine edging keeps it from moving. My reasoning for not gluing it down is if the top ever gets destroyed by paint or chemicals, then I can just lift off the Melamine and put down a new sheet.

Here’s the links to the other projects I’ve posted about:

Plywood storage:

https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/plywood-storage/

Clamp Storage and scrap wood storage:

https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/scrap-wood-and-clamp-storage/

Here’s a picture of the bench:

Here’s a picture of me breaking down an entire piece of 1/2″ MDF on top of the new bench. It’s amazing how much easier it is to do when you’re not crawling around on the floor.

0818191435_HDR

And of course, the first project to come off of the new bench is something for the wife’s art classroom. It’s paper storage for her full-sheet watercolor paper.

Barry
    Participant

Barn swallows rock!  They love it when we mow the yards.

David Walling
    Participant

More fun in the shop this weekend.

I picked up my birthday present early. I finally have a somewhat ‘real’ dust collector now. I bought enough fittings to hook up the bandsaw and the table saw. Both of those tools do not have native DC ports, so I had to do some modifications. The table saw was easy, as all I had to do was screw on a plate, but the band saw took a little work and modification of the machine. It hurt to cut a hole in the lower faceplate, but this machine has never been ‘all original’.

I also ordered the Dust Deputy to modify my machine into a cyclone. Once that comes in, I’ll start taking measurements and ordering tubing/parts to hook up the rest of the machines.

I went to walmart and picked up some more extension cords. For the first time in my life, I have all of my larger tools plugged in at the same time. I moved them all around and found places to put them so that I can walk up and use any machine without having to move anything else. We’ll call this ‘setup one’. I’m sure I’ll be moving things around as I clean out more of the front of the shop. I still have a lot of leftover furniture from the move I need to get rid of.

The second picture is of the back half of the shop in the current state.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

You’re making me really jealous. I would love to find a bandsaw like that. I have a crappy late 90s plastic benchtop craftsman one. The poor thing is way over it’s limit whenever I want to use it. I’m actually considering trying the Matthias Wandel DIY band saw, but I probably will never find the time to complete it.

Being able to just walk up to a tool though, that is such a great feeling.

David Walling
    Participant

You’re making me really jealous. I would love to find a bandsaw like that. I have a crappy late 90s plastic benchtop craftsman one. The poor thing is way over it’s limit whenever I want to use it. I’m actually considering trying the Matthias Wandel DIY band saw, but I probably will never find the time to complete it.

Being able to just walk up to a tool though, that is such a great feeling.

To add insult to injury… it, the table saw, and my large sander were free 🙂

My Poppy called me when they were moving into the nursing home and told me to come get them.

Ryan
    Keymaster

So many things are on wheels! Dreamy

David Walling
    Participant

I spent some time over the weekend finishing up the dust collector mods.

I did the typical ‘harbor freight, dust deputy’ 2-stage that is popular on the webs. The first iteration of the build was a failure. I forgot about the 2″ lip on the lid, so when I finished building it, I couldn’t get the lid off of the bucket.

Over the weekend, I took some of the machine apart and add a small flex tubing between the fan and the dust deputy. I also picked up a longer piece of the 5″ tubing to run from the outfeed of the fan to the intake of the bag system. Finally, I widened the stance of the bottom piece a bit to make it a little less tipy.

Here’s a picture of it prior to the final changes:

Attachments:
Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.