Cut parts in Aluminium. Better??

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Cut parts in Aluminium. Better??

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  kd2018 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Hey people.  About to start collecting parts for a full sheep lowrider 2.  Is there any benefit to having the 3 cut parts out of aluminium rather than wood?  Has anyone done this?  And what thickness did you go?

Thanks John

John
    Participant

OR….. I don’t suppose 3D printed parts would be strong enough?

Barry
    Participant

I think I’ve seen one or two made in metal.  I would think quarter inch aluminum would be plenty strong and stiff enough.

John
    Participant

Thanks Barry.  Is there any possibility of cutting small aluminium pieces on a lowrider, or is it purely for wood?

Ryan
    Keymaster

MDF is really the best for this on my opinion. I have Baltic Birch and they are not as rigid as MDF. I tried some stainless, and for it’s weight it was still more flexible. Aluminum would take some thickness to get it right. I designed it with wood in mind. The first version will work with anything, not so much the second one. If you redesigned the Y plate a bit it could help but…

1 user thanked author for this post.

John
    Participant

Thanks Ryan,

MDF it is then.  I was thinking that maybe I could do some aluminium with it if I get the plates done in aluminium.  Is there any chance of doing a little aluminium with the lowrider 2?

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

Thanks Ryan,

MDF it is then. I was thinking that maybe I could do some aluminium with it if I get the plates done in aluminium. Is there any chance of doing a little aluminium with the lowrider 2?

If steel can be done with the MPCNC then I see no reason why the Lowrider couldn’t do aluminum. The sweet spot will probably be harder to get, given the size of the machine, but I’m pretty sure it should work.

John
    Participant

Yeah, we’ll see how it turns out.  Thanks

Jake
    Participant

Did you end up doing MDF plate(s)? Wondering if you ever ventured in doing them in aluminum?

Greg
    Participant

I’ve done some playing with ultralight mdf…  3/4” ultralight would be the same weight as 1/2” regular mdf.  Might make a nice upgrade without changing the weight if everything fits.

John
    Participant

Jake I just stuck with MDF.  I don’t have plans to change it in the near future but you never know later on.

MikeDub
    Participant

I’ve hand cut mine in ply for an initial proof of concept.

Will then be looking at getting the lowrider to cut about 8mm aluminium for the plates. Will post results once done.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  MikeDub.

kd2018
    Participant

MDF is really the best for this on my opinion. I have Baltic Birch and they are not as rigid as MDF. I tried some stainless, and for it’s weight it was still more flexible. Aluminum would take some thickness to get it right. I designed it with wood in mind. The first version will work with anything, not so much the second one. If you redesigned the Y plate a bit it could help but…

So then are you mainly referring to the y plates here?  I’m looking to possibly make just the 611 plate from aluminum in the future, or even gauged steel plate…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.