Community Documentation

New Home Forum Software / Firmware Development Community Documentation

This topic contains 186 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 2 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 187 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh man Costco had one of those curved screens….wowza is in nice looking!

Bruh
    Participant

All this code makes me want a second monitor. I have so many windows and programs open when doing this stuff.

Oh, that’s it….not I need to build a bigger desk. Zen Desk, dual monitors…living the dream!

May I recommend a 21:9 3440 x 1440 34″ monitor instead of a two monitor setup. The nice thing about these extra wide monitors is that you have almost as much screen real estate as with a two monitor setup but don’t waste nearly as much desk space as two monitors would. It’s also more pleasant to use because you don’t have a physical “hole” in a middle so you can place windows in better locations and don’t have to turn your head as much. I use one at work and my wife has one on her tiny home office desk. The cheapest run less than $300 nowadays. Worth every penny.

I have a similar setup and can vouch that a single my current 21:9 3440 x 1440 34″ feels much more usable than the dual monitor setup that I had previously. Gsync and >60hz refresh rates are a nice treat as well: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alienware-34-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3418dw/apd/210-amsv/monitors-monitor-accessories. Also worth every penny!

We’re going to have to start a battle stations thread if this keeps up 😀

Ryan
    Keymaster

Dang, they are only a little more than a second matching monitor. Putting serious thought into this now!

Bill
    Participant

I have a full 4K, a 3K and the curved wide screen. I’d have a hard time working on anything less than two big monitors these days…
    Rocking the resolution

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That stains my neck just looking at it 😀

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

Sorry I’m late to the party and I haven’t read all the posts so maybe someone already said something similar I’m going to say.

First, I think that it would be better to be able to edit it directly within the v1 page. I don’t have a github account for instance, so I can’t edit the article. Sure I could create one but I’m a bit lazy to do so. No idea if this is feasible here, but I did contribute to another forum’s wiki and we could edit the content directly within the forum, which was extremely convenient.

Also, the images seems to be displayed differently between github and the v1 page, it looks much better in git, the images are larger.

For the Docs, I’d propose to go as deep as possible in the possibilities, so that anyone can have answers relative to the specific project they intend to do with their particular machine. Here I’ll be talking about the MPCNC only, but this applies to all the other platforms as well. I think we should try to get everything covered in as much detail as possible, especially including the intended use (router, printer, plasma cutter, vinyl cutter, laser, etc).

So, something like this:

-MPCNC Section

-Getting started:

1. What is the MPCNC
    2. What do you need to build one?
      1. Plastic Parts
      2. Electronics
      3. Metal Hardware
    3. Assemble your MPCNC frame
    4. Assemble the electronics
      1. RamBo Board
      2. Ramps Board
      3. other?
    5. How to flash the firmware and make the first moves
      1. Install Arduino IDE
      2. Tweak configuration. h file
      3. Install Repetier and useful tips
    6. Calibration and first tests
    7. Build a table for your MPCNC
      1. Recommendations and examples

-MPCNC as a milling machine/router

1. Read this before you build your machine/order the parts (the specific points to keep in mind before you build the machine as a router, like gantry height, advices to keep the CNC rigid, recommended sizes, etc)
    2. Which spindle should you use?
    3. Recommended firmware and how to set it up
    4. Wood milling:
      1. CAM basics: how to do your first cut
      2. Recommended milling bits and use cases
      3. Recommended feeds and speeds
      4. Dust collection
      5. Spoil board and how to secure the part

4. Aluminum milling:

1. CAM basics: how to do your first cut
      2. Recommended milling bits and use cases
      3. Recommended feeds and speeds
      4. Dust collection
      5. Spoil board and how to secure the part

5. Steel Milling:

-Same

6. Plastic Milling

-Same

7. Any other material I forgot…. etc.

-MPCNC as a 3D printer

1. Read this before you build your machine/order the parts (the specific points to keep in mind before you build the machine as a printer)
    2. Extruder system
      1. Which one should you choose
      2. Installing the extruder system
      3. Configuring Marlin
    3. Bed
      1. Different kind of heating beds
      2. How to install one and enable it in Marlin
    4. Z calibration
      1. Manual clibration process
      2. Automatic calibration:
        1. Necessary hardware
        2. Enable it in Firmware
        3. Tests
    5. Printing Basics:
      1. How to use the slicer
      2. Print your first part with the MPCNC

-MPCNC as a plasma Cutter:

1. Read this before you build your machine/order the parts (the specific points to keep in mind before you build the machine as a plasma cutter)
    2. Plasma cutter system
      1. Which one should you choose
      2. Installing the plasma cutter
      3. Configuring Marlin
      4. Fighting electromagnetic interferences
      5. Torch height controller systems
    3. Build the plasma cutting bed
      1. Slats supports
      2. Water beds
    4. Cutting Basics:
      1. Cam Basics and good practices
      2. Recommended speeds

—> and so on for the other different use cases of the MPCNC.

Downside would be that it might be a big task to maintain.

Upsides would be that every single use case would be covered in details, any people could bring his deep expertise on the subject he likes the most, and that would be the best possible resource to get up and running for any noob on any kind of task. Kind of a MPCNC bible. But yeah, that would be a lot of work.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Also, the images seems to be displayed differently between github and the v1 page, it looks much better in git, the images are larger.

Both are from this site, click to enlarge, they are larger by default on that side.

I’d propose to go as deep as possible in the possibilities

I like that outline a lot. Once we get it all moved over, it is pretty easy to rearrange and add to it. I hope to get it something like your outline at some point.

Jamie
    Participant

I like that outline too.  I’d also suggest “TROUBLESHOOTING START HERE” and walk people through the things to try and what to look for.  This is not to discourage forum posts but to get a head start on what they have tried so far and what the result was.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

First, I think that it would be better to be able to edit it directly within the v1 page. I don’t have a github account for instance, so I can’t edit the article. Sure I could create one but I’m a bit lazy to do so. No idea if this is feasible here, but I did contribute to another forum’s wiki and we could edit the content directly within the forum, which was extremely convenient.

Did we make this too hard to contribute to? What do others think? I know a low barrier to entry will increase contributions. Maybe I’m too worried about negative contributions?

Dui, which documentation was it? Can you point it out so I can look into it?

We settled in the sort of 450pix wide range, but that can easily be bigger. It’s a balance against the text though.

I think that layout makes a lot of sense and we aren’t far off from that now, we just need a lot more content. The one thing I want to be careful of is not repeating huge pieces of information. So I think the arduino flashing needs to be in a machine agnostic page, and just be linked to from the mpcnc, lr, 3dp, etc.

I’d also suggest “TROUBLESHOOTING START HERE” and walk people through the things to try and what to look for.

I don’t think we need to shout, but a troubleshooting section would be great. There are also general things that aren’t really instructions. Pages about the esp32 grbl or something.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I think we can add the cname to the mkdocs config file too. So it doesn’t change the url.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Really, that would be cool!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Can I get a confirmation please. Did my CNAME finally work.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/ – Does that navigate and work showing that domain name the whole time for you?

Dam, I must have wasted at least half of my day on that and it turns out I just had some crazy persistent browser cache. Note to self always test in a private window.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Ryan.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It’s working for me! It’s a little thing, but it makes it much nicer, imo.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Cool! It was a simple change but the dang browser was not showing it for me. So all that weird stuff I did all day was unnecessary I think.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Are you sure? I could have sworn I tried to open it in a private window.

Oh well, it’s working now.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I think my first few tries were right, after that I changed too many things. I did learn a lot though. Tried to be patient and figure it out so hopefully the forum transition is smooth as sandpaper, no worse than that.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Uhhhh, I have not changed anything and it is not working?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

What was the second to last thing you did?

These things have to get propogated through the interwebs to the dns servers, right?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I just looked at the setting page and github has populated the custom domains slot but I know I did not do that. Shoot, I have no idea right now is is just circular redirection.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I don’t want to jinx it, but it’s working again.

I have some time today. I’m going to call:

– Import extruder

We are running out of easy ones…

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have some time today. I’m going to call:

– Import extruder

We are running out of easy ones…

Exactly the links in a table take forever.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I think I have it, it is even simpler that I previously thought, still no idea why it broke the last time though. It could be do to most dns changes having a TTL of 4 hours…

Here is what I did to make the Cname work with MKdocs, Github.io (projects version, not just github.io (projects use gh-pages, github.io uses master branch)), and a Cpanel host.

-Make a file in /docs names exactly “CNAME”. This file will get deployed into the maingh-pages branch. Anywhere else and it will get deleted at deploy, named anything else it will not work.

-Cpanel, simple DNSZones, Cname, add the subdomain (in this case “docs” (docs.v1engineering.com)) as “name”, and as the record add v1engineeringinc.github.io (<username>.github.io).

That is it, no ssl, no creating an actual subdomain, no redirect, just a cname redirect.

**in case I need to do it again**

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m working on the lasers, and I think I’ll have some more time today, so I will also hit milling basics and drag knife. That should close out the tools folder.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You are an animal! Thank you.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I just started using the “Definitions” syntax and it’s pretty nice. Something like this:

Difficult Term
    :   This is what a difficult term is

And I can also use it to sort of add captions.

Figure Title
    :   ![!figure](url)

Now I’m wondering where I should have used it already…

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Jeffeb3.
    • This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Jeffeb3.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Can you link one? I am not seeing it.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Basic definition usage: https://docs.v1engineering.com/tools/lasers/#power Things like the Wattage are using that syntax. Here they are in my cheatsheet: https://docs.v1engineering.com/mkdocs_info/#definitions

These images are in a definiton: https://docs.v1engineering.com/tools/milling-basics/#work-offsets .

I thought this was interesting too, putting them in a little note box: https://docs.v1engineering.com/tools/milling-basics/#climb-vs-conventional-milling

Those are from the admonition plugin: https://squidfunk.github.io/mkdocs-material/extensions/admonition/

Maybe I should have just chosen one and stuck with it…

Ryan
    Keymaster

Okay I get it now, I really like that, both ways. Definition is very subtle but clear better than just bold or a different header size, the note box is very bold and creates separation.

We still have not gotten around to coming up with a “style” yet but I am okay with it. I think we will stumble upon a page that looks really good for whatever reason and then making the rest match will be easy(ish). Or someone that knows about this stuff will offer some advice.

Ryan
    Keymaster

And I looooove how you can like to a specific spot on a page. To do that previously for me creating anchors took way more effort.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.