Community Documentation

New Home Forum Software / Firmware Development Community Documentation

This topic contains 158 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 4 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 159 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m not sure if there’s a way to ask travis if we can use their service. I know it’s very popular.

Bruh, do you know if we can set it up to do a test step on the PRs and a deploy step on master? I noticed mkdocs has a way to force build warnings to be errors and that catches some errors like bad (internal) links.

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    version: 2.1
    jobs:
      build:
        docker:
         – image: circleci/python:3.6-jessie-browsers
        steps:
         – add_ssh_keys:
            fingerprints:
             – "b8:7b:4b:cd:5c:c0:29:9e:fe:dd:9a:55:c9:03:45:d3"
         – checkout
         – run:
            name: Pip install
            # This is using sudo, because this is a test environment. Don't do that on your computer.
            command: sudo pip install -r requirements.txt
         – run:
            name: mkdocs build
            command: mkdocs build –clean –strict
         – deploy:
            name: mkdocs deploy
            command: |
              if [ "${CIRCLE_BRANCH}" == "master" ]; then
                mkdocs gh-deploy
              fi

That is really neat! This will run the build steps on any commits, and I hope PRs will have a neat little banner with the results (TBD). If it’s a commit on the master branch, it will also deploy, using the ssh key I put in circleci, which has this unharmful fingerprint. So neat!

The bad news is, I had to generate the ssh-key. Put the public key in github and the private key in circleci. Ryan has to do that for this to deploy. Maybe there’s a good way for us to muddle through this together Ryan?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Ryan nailed it, and he fixed it so it wouldn’t build the gh-pages branch. Awesome!

So now, it will hopefully build all the pull requests to make sure they aren’t warning about broken links or missing requirements.txt and then auto deploy when we push to master. The future is now! Thanks for the push Bruh.

Bruh
    Participant

The future is now! Thanks for the push Bruh.

Glad you all were able to get things working. It never seems like a big deal at the time to have a one liner for a person to run to see things out but it becomes a time-suck down the road. Added benefit of automation is that it’s self documenting. You’ll never have to explain to someone else how to get their local machine set up correctly to build/deploy. You and Ryan are both CI/CD experts now 😉

Automate all of the things!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Bruh.

Ryan
    Keymaster

HA, you both give me to much credit. I am just persistent to a fault. I am having a hard time moving docs over I want to update all of it and the structure! But getting it moved is a good first step.

I will update the first post with a todo list?

Bruh
    Participant

HA, you both give me to much credit. I am just persistent to a fault. I am having a hard time moving docs over I want to update all of it and the structure! But getting it moved is a good first step.

I will update the first post with a todo list?

Or use the docs themselves as a TODO with stubs so that you don’t have to move back and forth. Minimizing the need for people to keep data in sync across systems is generally a good rule to follow.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ryan
    Keymaster

Or use the docs themselves as a TODO with stubs

I’m listening….translation?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Or use the docs themselves as a TODO with stubs

I’m listening….translation?

I put a stub in for each page I could find. That’s what made the list in the first place.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ohhhh

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’ll take:
    software/reverse-motor.md
    software/repetier-host.md

Jeffeb3
    Participant

OK. Those were the two smallest pages.

I’ll take:

electronics/v1pi.md
    electronics/dual-endstops.md

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The navigation (nav: in mkdocs.yml) is not working well when I put two pages in different places in the nav tree. I was trying to sort of follow Ryan’s website, where things like how to flash the rambo is at the end of the MPCNC instructions as well as a standalone page. It’s a bit of a conflict between being a start to finish set of instructions along with a reference.

I don’t know if we should just leave it alone for now, or if organizing them now would make the other work easier.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I saw that the other theme highlighted things oddly as well, this one is worse. It needs to be rearranged but maybe just get the pages in first? Although moving it around is pretty easy, so either way really? I am not sure if I can do any pages this evening or not. We’ll see, helping a friend move.

frosty
    Participant

I’ll take assembly/middle for the MPCNC

I got my python problems sorted and have a PR pending for this page.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Merged!

So I was testing the CircleCI stuff with some PRs from me, and it was building it. But for some reason, it’s not building yours which makes me wonder if it was really the test setup on my PR instead of the main one…

Oh well. Thanks for the page.

frosty
    Participant

Merged!

Thanks for the page.

No problem. Thanks for the value-add of fixing all those links. What service!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thank you both so much.

I am still learning but I do like this system a lot. To see pages appearing without having to do them myself is magical from my point of view!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

electronics/steppers.md
    electronics/marlin-firmware.md

Ryan
    Keymaster

Zen is done…tables are a bit ugly with the links but, they should work.

Ryan
    Keymaster

All this code makes me want a second monitor. I have so many windows and programs open when doing this stuff.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

You only have one monitor *gasps*

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh, that’s it….not I need to build a bigger desk. Zen Desk, dual monitors…living the dream!

Bruh
    Participant

Thank you both so much. I am still learning but I do like this system a lot. To see pages appearing without having to do them myself is magical from my point of view!

The beauty of open source! I’ve spoken with a few large open source project maintainers and they’ve all attributed the success of their projects to extensive documentation efforts.

I’ll take a stab at documenting fusion 360 basics.

Anttix
    Participant

All this code makes me want a second monitor. I have so many windows and programs open when doing this stuff.

Oh, that’s it….not I need to build a bigger desk. Zen Desk, dual monitors…living the dream!

May I recommend a 21:9  3440 x 1440  34″ monitor instead of a two monitor setup. The nice thing about these extra wide monitors is that you have almost as much screen real estate as with a two monitor setup but don’t waste nearly as much desk space as two monitors would. It’s also more pleasant to use because you don’t have a physical “hole” in a middle so you can place windows in better locations and don’t have to turn your head as much. I use one at work and my wife has one on her tiny home office desk. The cheapest run less than $300 nowadays. Worth every penny.

Jamie
    Participant

It’s more expensive and less common, but i can’t live without my 2560×1600. Especially for code that’s oriented vertically, the extra height is wonderful. One drawback is you will never be able to go back…

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have a 2560×1440. I wouldn’t mind adding a second vertically. Scrolling through Marlin, would be much more useful that way. Two web pages fit side by side no problem but I rarely do that. I usually have 3-4 things open and do the window shuffle by keeping them all slightly visible at all times to quickly swap.

Ryan
    Keymaster

May I recommend a 21:9 3440 x 1440 34″ monitor instead of a two monitor setup.

Ohhh, that would be awesome, I never even thought to look for ultra wide.

Jamie
    Participant

I have a 2560×1440. I wouldn’t mind adding a second vertically.

That’s crazy. I love it.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The vertical isn’t as helful as you might think for code. Your brain can’t keep that much in your mind anyway. I’m sure it’s a matter of opinion, but I didn’t like it.

Much more useful is side by side to see the webpage and the code or two pieces of code.

I currently have a very wide curved screen. I have ut mounted on the wall to clear my desk and I have my laptop also mounted on the wall and I run both screens at once. My eyes have a little trouble adjusting between the two screens.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.