Collet question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jeff
    Participant

Hey it’s me again,

I purchased this https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07C1TBZC3/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_KFC5CbGN1FKKX and love it so far. But I have a question regarding the collets. They are in metric, save one 1/8″ collet, and I have a bottom cleaning bit for surfacing wood coming in tomorrow via amazon. it is a 1/4″ shank. would the 6.5mm collet be okay to use or should I order a 1/4″ collet?

Thanks

Jeff.

Andrew Herdman
    Participant

I have the same one on our MPCNC and love it.  Yes same collet set.  For 1/4″ tools use the one that has the snuggest fit when the collet is in the er11 nut, but still pushes in without too much force.  6mm or 6.5mm should be your two options.

I see you’re a fellow Canuck, where abouts are you located?  I’m north of the GTA

Andrew

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeff
    Participant

Thanks Andrew! I figured as much but having as close to 100% certainty is best when dealing  fast spinning sharp things haha! I’m in the west end of Toronto, close enough to Toronto to be a Torontonian but far enough away to not have to deal with the traffic.

MegaDad3D
    Participant

We make our own decisions about trade-offs, of course. I personally would get a 1/4″ collet for 1/4″ bits. It should be no problem to source an ER11 collet in that size. A slipping bit could cause poor quality and/or ruin the workpiece. A flying bit rotating at 12k RPMs is serious business.

I realize that .15mm may be within the manufacturing tolerances, particularly for budget collets, so I may be making some invalid assumptions about it making a difference. We do what we can, and what we feel comfortable with.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeff
    Participant

I am opting to run my machine in the safest way possible and have not used the 1/4″ bits yet I more than likely will be sourcing out the 1/4″ collet before I attempt to use the bit. A small bit of uncertainty isn’t worth the damage it may cause.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.