CNCjs W/ Mini Rambo running grbl-Mega firmware

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC CNCjs W/ Mini Rambo running grbl-Mega firmware

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hemstreet 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hemstreet
    Participant

Running CNCjs with the Mini rambo 1.3 bought from this site. I get that CNCjs might still be new, it also does not working with octopi. ( I’m using a raspberry PI as a host computer ). I noticed that the board was not working after being plugged in “correctly” using the marlin firmware, so I flashed the purchased board with grbl-Mega. Using CNCjs, I can connect to the board and issue movement commands to the board, I can see it reflected in the web interface, however the servo does not move. I have shorted the motor to see if it is harder to turn and that is the case when I short it myself. That is not the case when plugging in the servo directly to the mini rambo board.

1. I bought everything from this site
    2. mini rambo
    3. Marlin was installed, It did not work so I just flashed it with grbl it’s running on my raspberry pi with CNCjs
    4. I’m not using endstops
    5. I’m using a raspberry pi
    6. Obvious errors are bar wiring or the motors are shot. I’ve tired shorting the two end wires for the servos. there is more resistance when I do that. Assuming that is a sign that the motors are working, that is not an issue. CNCjs connects properly when I have the board plugged in and I can play with the toggling of the X, Y, and Z positions, nothing is reflected with the motor for whatever port it is in.
    Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Are you able to set the digipots in GRBL?

Hemstreet
    Participant

Hey Ryan, I’m not sure I understand where to set the digipots.
    Would that be something with the grbl-mega firmware configuration code before flashing, or would it be something through CNCjs configuration. Maybe something on the board itself?

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is how you set the power out of the drivers to the steppers. It needs to be in the firmware.

That is as much as I can help unless you go back to my firmware. I have not used Grbl enough to give any advice, and never on a non-specific grbl board. never used cncjs, and haven’t touched octo in 5 years. I really suggest you try it my way first and get it running. You are trying to add 3 layers of software I have zero experience with so I will be of no help to you.

Hemstreet
    Participant

Right, sorry. I tried to take on too many things before figuring out that it works your way. I went straight for CNCjs like a dumb dumb.

If I flash it back to marlin, is there a configuration step that needs to be done for the digital pots?

I can go windows 10, with the mini rambo board via usb and boot up repetier host and test it from there. Assuming that this works. I’d imagine the digital pot configuration would be universal for whatever firmware that is used.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have a firmware pages with pictures, just flash it back and it is ready to work.

Hemstreet
    Participant

Update:

• I reflashed marlin back on the mini rambo and booted up Repetier Host, Worked like a charm.
    • For shits and giggles, I tried CNCjs with it. No luck, I think the marlin support is not there yet ( or I just have no idea what I’m doing )
    • I managed to get Octopi / Octoprint running it out of the box. I’m a bit more familiar with this since my 3D printer runs this anyway.

I appreciate the tips and being pointed in the right direction and calming my urge to over engineer it. Looks like i’ll be sticking with marlin until I get a bit more familiar with what i’m doing.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I hope to play with the other stuff and get some sort of instructions up, but I just have been more hardware focused lately. We’ll see, I have all sorts of things I need to try. Glad it works though, now if you try it again you will have some sort of base to go off of though might be easier the next time around.

Tim
    Participant

To get CNCjs to work I have to first load a g-code file and start it then I stop the file and then I can control the steppers with the CNCjs panel I could not get Repetier Host to load on my  Win 10 laptop

1 user thanked author for this post.

Hemstreet
    Participant

To get CNCjs to work I have to first load a g-code file and start it then I stop the file and then I can control the steppers with the CNCjs panel I could not get Repetier Host to load on my  Win 10 laptop

Interesting, I did have an extra SD card so I still have the rpi image with CNCjs loaded. Might give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.