Cheap Air Compressor

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Cheap Air Compressor

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  David Walling 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Neil
    Participant

Just saw this on slickdeals. I have been wanting to pickup a cheap air compressor for taking a stab at cutting aluminum. I am inspired by Kevins success. I noticed he was using an air compressor to keep the chips away from the tool. I was checking out my favorite website today and noticed that they had this 6 gallon pancake compressor on clearance for $30 bucks sure enough I looked and my local walmart had 2 in stock. To see if your local store has any just go to.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/

and search sku 180744870

They even offer a 2 year replacement for $4 upon checking out. Only downside was they have it wrapped in a metal theft protection thing which the gal at the checkout struggled to get free. Then since it was so large it didnt go over the magnetic thing at checkout there was still something inside that set off all the alarms when I walked out and the wild eyed crazy mary greeting gal they had there came roaring in to check my receipt (so keep it handy when you are walking out). I have not seen where kevin posted his tutorial on his setup anywhere yet but I am guessing this would be more than enough to get the job done.

Hopefully this is useful to someone!

Neil

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sweet deal. My neighbor just gave me his old small compressor and it cost me $20 and a few hours to fix the check valve so I agree, amazing deal.

David Walling
    Participant

I still kick myself for selling my ‘big’ one.

I never took the time to run 220 for the motor, so I ended up selling it to a friend in Houston.  240V 5HP, 80 gallon, oiled that I only paid $100 for. Barely fit in the back of the wife’s Suzuki XL-7.

Now I just have a 120v 5HP, 25 gallon, oil-less horizontal.

I also have a backup 1.5hp 1 gallon that I used to use with an airbrush when I lived in the apartment.

I wonder if anyone tried those cheap 300psi 12v bike compressors sold for using in car plugs. They are on the 15usd range and can be easilly found on Aliexpress.

Barry
    Participant

It’d probably catch fire.  They’re not rated to run continuously.

David Walling
    Participant

I wonder if anyone tried those cheap 300psi 12v bike compressors sold for using in car plugs. They are on the 15usd range and can be easilly found on Aliexpress.

Mine gets hot just trying to air one of my truck tires. No way I’d run it longer than 5 minutes at a time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.