Can wood parts be replaced with HDPE plastic?

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Can wood parts be replaced with HDPE plastic?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rolland elliott 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

rolland elliott
    Participant

I’ve seen other CNC kits use HDPE plastic. It’s the same stuff milk jugs are made of. Very durable and easy to cut out with a router. About $200 for a 4×8 sheet 3/4″ thick. So much more expensive than wood, but it will never warp or delaminate either.  Any reason why it wouldn’t work to replace the wood ends.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It would work, but vs a $13 sheet of MDF….tough to justify. I would even guess MDF to be more rigid. I have some MP3DP’s made out of both.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant

HDPE will flex over time.  I had a sheet of it in my barn, became a not flat sheet in about a week and a half.

rolland elliott
    Participant

true 1/2″ does that,

3/4″ is pretty much straight as an arrow through.

Barry
    Participant

Shit, missed the 3/4″ part, or just blocked it out.  Hmm, if it’s white, some leds to bling it out would be pretty cool looking…

What’s a 4X8 sheet of that weigh anyway?

rolland elliott
    Participant

https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/volume-to-weight

says 118 lbs.  which sounds about right. i always have my local plastic place cut it donw smaller and it’s still heavy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.