Cable chain mount for the Z-axis

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Cable chain mount for the Z-axis

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 6 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ulli
    Participant

Ryan,

in the description of the Z-Axis¬† assembly you warn us to NOT mount any cable holders etc. on the Z-Axis but rather on the middle assembly. Since I don’t like free-flying cables I would like to follow your advice but am not sure where the best point is where I could let the igus energy chain end. It contains the cable for the stepper (here I also prefer solid industry standard sizes) and the power for the router / spindle.

Are there any suggestions or examples from your side or concepts that you can support?

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

Ulli

Ryan
    Keymaster

For the Z to the gantry I really do not feel anything is need but I typically use flex loom or flex and the tape measure trick. For the gantry to the nearest stepper of your choice I use the tape measure trick, but if you really want drag chain mount it “sideways” I have not seen any mounts that are doing it right.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ulli
    Participant

Thanks. Pardon, what is the ‘tape measure trick’?

Barry
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxM63X91R_I

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ulli
    Participant

Thanks, hadn’t seen that yet. Sure that it imposes less non-linear forces on the Z-axis top than a well running cable chain? And how long will the steel tape last?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Just run wires to the Gantry from the Z stepper, no need for anything fancy for a few inch bend, I have it on the Red and Black build but would not bother if I rewired. I then use the XYZ part as my anchor point and run the tape sideways to the X or Y stepper, extremely small force compared to a heavy drag chain. I have never had a tape break yet, the bend is open and relaxed so I doubt we could cycle it enough to be an issue.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.