Cable Chain for Z axis

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Cable Chain for Z axis

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  RandyS 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Teo Nordström
    Participant

Hello. My MPCNC has been put away for a couple of weeks now as I have had other things to do but I want to start working with it again soon. I Want to use Cable chains to make it look more “slick” and I have fixed a rest for the Z Cable chain. I had an idea of how I wanted the Cable chain fastened, but then I remembered the thing that is said in the Z axis build guide: “Please do not attach anything to this assembly above the tool mount“. I have seen Pictures of this (for example this one from Martin S)

If this is strictly forbidden, how do people do to fasten the Cable chains? If i put them in the gantry the chain won’t be able to move with the z axis and the wire will be pulled with it.

I have a couple ideas of how I would go around this problem but I would like to see how other people are doing.
    Thanks!

Mike
    Participant

I used the z_mount_fixed.stl part from the following thingiverse project. It attaches to the top XYZ part with a single bolt to clamp it in place, no drilling or anything. It is great for twist-tying power cables, etc. to and has worked very well for me so far.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2301104

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.

RandyS
    Participant

I’m with you on needing to clean up the wiring on the Z-axis.  The X and Y axes can also use cable chains to good advantage.  This was my design and can also be found at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2743770 .  I think it would be worthwhile making provisions for an attachment in any future revs of the XY blocks for sure.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.