Burly Revisions

This topic contains 114 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 22 hours, 33 minutes ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 115 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh you snagged the first kit!

Brandon
    Participant

14 hours later…

Does the logo look like I need to adjust the jerk settings?

Ryan
    Keymaster

What speeds are you printing at 30-35mm/s I limit my max speed to when ghosting shows up.

Brandon
    Participant

I think it was probably 50mm/s. I will have to try slower speeds on the other parts.

Barry
    Participant

Twins!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Benoit
    Participant

Thanks Ryan.. now that I finished my lowrider, I guess I’ll start this one.

😉

Evan
    Participant

Thinking burly things….

Attachments:

Barry
    Participant

Soon!

Ryan
    Keymaster

New parts are fun right!

I have some revised 660 mount parts coming up I think. I finished the bottom, but want to build in some sort of adjustment for the top. To get perpendicularity just right.

Brandon
    Participant

New parts are fun right!

I have some revised 660 mount parts coming up I think. I finished the bottom, but want to build in some sort of adjustment for the top. To get perpendicularity just right.

Awesome! Pictures?

Ryan
    Keymaster

The bottom looks very similar just tweaked the screw holes a bit, the top…has me stumped. I can get either direction, but not both at once. Still working on it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

This is the best idea I have seen, and we only need it on the top but screws onto the 660 is a bit suspect with a high load and high vibration part.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1355544

Jeffeb3
    Participant

This is the best idea I have seen, and we only need it on the top but screws onto the 660 is a bit suspect with a high load and high vibration part.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1355544

That’s the mount I had for a long time on my MPCNC. It broke right away where those adjustment screws were. I think either while I was jamming in nuts, or while I was adjusting it to perpendicular. It ended up working alright, and I got a lot of hours with it even broken :).

Ryan
    Keymaster

The theory is solid but there must be another way.

David Walling
    Participant

Could always just use tape to make the DB660 fatter on one side.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is what we do now. I was hoping for a little more elegant solution. I think I can build on cmidgley’s idea but I want to try a few other things first.

Jason
    Participant

What are the advantages of burly? In terms of wieght and volume? Was some of the mass displaced from the other parts to give a meatier xyz plate? Will this change translate to a longer possible z axis length?

It would be a good test to go outside of normal use and start experimenting with deflection at greater lengths.

We should try to use it in worst case scenarios like cutting at 3″ extended.

Ryan
    Keymaster

What are the advantages of burly? In terms of wieght and volume? Was some of the mass displaced from the other parts to give a meatier xyz plate? Will this change translate to a longer possible z axis length?

Yes, by a little bit if you want to think of it that way. I prefer to think of it as normal use and sizes will be more rigid and faster. Able to handle harder materials more easily and accurately.

New, Revised, BURLY, MPCNC Center Parts

2 users thanked author for this post.

Sean
    Participant

Thanks again Ryan, this looks like a solid update. Cant wait to make another one. Maybe ill get some Nice OctoLapse videos and put together a compilations. Probably not but the thought is cool! So much to build still, containment, vacuum, waste board, electronics storage, drag chain. This project has most definitely pushed so many boundaries for so many people! Can’t thank you enough!

Jason
    Participant

You really can’t tell from my previous post, I’m truly excited about this revision. It addresses the xyz plate head on, and I believe it will give a more stable performance.

For me, mass equals strength most of the time.

For me, numbers mean I can guesstimate what I can do, before I break stuff. It would be great to test the actual improvement. Like with a fish scale and a mic.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ahhhhh I had a big post and got logged out…..dangit.

In Summary. I was ready to test, bought a cheap noga style arm and scale. I then realized a proper test would be two fresh assembly’s 525 and Burly, My 525 build had been beaten up pretty good so no telling how compromised it could have been. Once I finished the parts and assembled the test bench the improvement is more greater than I anticipated so a test just seemed like a task that I could skip. No need to prove what is obvious. I would love for you to do a few tests though, I am pretty sure it will be obvious in every direction but if it is not that would be good to know.

Once I finish up the 660 revision I will try some real world comparison cuts, exact same gcode as I had before. Hopefully there is a obvious and noticeable gain.

Ryan
    Keymaster

To add to this previous post. I had written before, that I tested the gantry ,

I was getting about 0.05″ (1.27mm) deflection at the endmill with the Z extended 2″ with ~300oz (18lbs) of force. Just a super rough test..

I will make a decent dial mount and scale jig, then decide on a reasonable amount of force, 18 is excessive. I am much more concerned with the initial smaller deflections.

I knew 18 was crazy high but I figured it was double what we could ever use…..I tried so hard to find actual cutting force numbers to use. Now I feel like a fool, FSWizard has then right in the specs for each cut, dang it. Now I have a real number for Aluminum, 3.4lbs….yikes I tried 18lbs.

I started the tear down of my red machine, set the dial indicator right on the table so I don’t forget. I need to see how it handles that number (and 18 😉 ).

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh and I have a number for “snugging” the 5/16″ non-tension bolts. 5.5NM. Best I can get with my old torque wrench and my highly calibrated hands….

Jeffeb3
    Participant

What is this? Engineering?

Ryan
    Keymaster

That or it could be voodoo, hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Jason Dentler
    Participant

Sounds like a t-shirt slogan

2 users thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant

Voodoo is how wifi works.  Actually any radio antenna in general.  It’s all just PFM.

Mike Thorn
    Participant

Oh and I have a number for “snugging” the 5/16″ non-tension bolts. 5.5NM. Best I can get with my old torque wrench and my highly calibrated hands….

Come on who uses NM this is Merica what that in IN LBs lol.

Barry
    Participant

Come on who uses NM this is Merica what that in IN LBs lol.

48.67 according to the link in the post.  😉

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.