Burly Revisions

This topic contains 122 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Martin 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 123 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Soon…

3 users thanked author for this post.

Brandon
    Participant

Looks good! I want to see more.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

IMG_20181010_133257_807
    Heheheeh, Just a lil bit more is all you get for now.

Mike B
    Participant

is this a new updated version of the MPCNC in the works??

give me a little info !

Ryan
    Keymaster

info

Mike B
    Participant

lol ” info ” is all I can get I guess.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Soon, putting it together again. If everything keeps going smoothly I will start to update the first post with details.

Jason
    Participant

See, I knew if I was lazy enough about upgrading mine I’d be able to just skip a whole revision 😀

3 users thanked author for this post.

David Doan
    Participant

I was just about to start printing the parts, should I wait for the revisions (I won’t be able to get the parts for a couple weeks anyway)? Will I need to buy any new hardware or is the kit enough for this revision?

I can understand if you can’t talk about it yet :).

Ryan
    Keymaster

I just looked I made the other parts 5/25/16. Whoa time flies. I swear it was last year, sorry for the delay everyone!

1-So, I can say it is a bit more of a pain to put together. My defense is wedging a screwdriver in to keep a nut from turning should only be on parts that are not tension parts. I added a ton of rigidity (I think) in the XYZ part. I have made it thicker, more burly and supported wherever possible. The trade off is I am not making allthread nut parts anymore as the longer nuts will not fit into the space. Short ones could but not really worth my time since the T8 is a marked improvement.

2-I will have two tool mounts with 6-32 and  4mm nut versions, the rest are just going to have to work. I tried to play with diameters and sizes to make 4mm fit better where ever possible. Smaller nut catch, larger diameter hole makes them just about work. So for all those that complain just know if I made you buy my hardware I could make it a perfect fit so the trade off is you have the opportunity to buy your own hardware but it is a little more fidgety to put together….once. The part I do see needing it is the tool mount so, I give in I will maintain 6 versions….

Ryan
    Keymaster

3-The Z mounts are wider without taking up build volume. The screw holes are as big as they need to be, if you break these there are other issues. They are actually hard to get on now. The little cuts are to let you get at the coupler for manual adjustments as before from the back.

4-I think it just looks better. Making things just functional is my natural tendency, so I swear I actually tried to make it look better. This is my engineering “style”, that was my full effort. I am a jeans and t-shirt kinda guy, so I have little to no style skills.

5-I am adding a tiny bit to the corner spacers. I am not sure why but they seemed a bit small before. My gantry rocked on the lower rollers by about a millimeter so I went a bit bigger. Perfect now, not a major change but its the details that make this thing work so well. I think the printers are seriously just printing more accurately now.

Ryan
    Keymaster

6-If you have a T8 “525” version no new hardware is needed.

7-The 5″ bolt fits better now.

8-The nut trap is “spring loaded” now and fits both 6-32, and 4mm nuts.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Hmmmm, the most stressful part.

Anyone have any name ideas? Should I just substitute “525” with “Burly”?

David Doan
    Participant

Uhh, just bought the kit yesterday, I think you just shipped it, so I’m not sure what this means. I’m guessing I have the T8 kit? So wait? 🙂 Sorry mechanical stuff isn’t my strength.

Also I like Burly, because you seem to have made the point that flexing is an issue with the older version. It seems from what I understand, that it is more rigid now.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Uhh, just bought the kit yesterday, I think you just shipped it, so I’m not sure what this means. I’m guessing I have the T8 kit? So wait? 🙂 Sorry mechanical stuff isn’t my strength.

Mechanical kit is identical, the plastic will change, but no big deal use and abuse the one you have. If /when you are ready there should be some slightly improved parts available. I put a note with the plastic parts in the shop a week ago highlighting the upcoming revisions. If it was a major change I would have handled it differently.

David Doan
    Participant

Perfect! Thanks so much!

Aaryn
    Participant

I like the name Burly but it could get confusing.  I can imagine a lot of forum conversations like, “I just upgraded from the 525 to the burly”.  That might get a little confusing.  Assuming it is released in 2018 how about the Burly 18 or B18 for short.

I am super stoked to see the new model.  I just built my first MPCNC.  I am going to help a friend build one as well.  So I will get to see them side by side.

Could I ask.  Is there any loops of holes on the new gantry to make it easy to zip tie wires?  Because I have read your suggestion to attach wires to the gantry and not the top of the Z mounts.  But I don’t see a great place for zip ties on the 525 without drilling holes.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The XYZ part and XY parts have open loops, rather large ones. Those are what I use.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I think the printers are seriously just printing more accurately now.

You’ll need a crappy printer to print them on too, to test out your designs. Maybe an anet a8?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I probably should!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Or, you could have a friend change your slicer profile and not tell you what they changed. 😀

Mike Thorn
    Participant

I printed the mpcnc and low rider on my anet a8. They came out decent enough. Course it has been modified though. So name wise I was thinking like “MPCNC HEAVY”. Anyway just a thought.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I printed the mpcnc and low rider on my anet a8. They came out decent enough. Course it has been modified though. So name wise I was thinking like “MPCNC HEAVY”. Anyway just a thought.

For the record, I haven’t ever used one and as with most inexpensive printers, it’s quality is probably proportional to the users expertise and effort. I just thought the joke worked well with an anet in there 🙂

My first printer is a wanhao duplicator i3 (the original preorder). It has served me well, despite it’s shortcomings. I’ve added more parts than it came with though.

Mike Thorn
    Participant

Definitely, I knew it was a low cost/quality printer when I bought it. It has been a great learning experience. And now after tweaking it since I got it I can get decent prints from it.

Brandon
    Participant

Heheheeh, Just a lil bit more is all you get for now.

It’s been more than 12 hours. Are you finished with the updated MPCNC?

How about MPCNC V2?

Ryan
    Keymaster

This is all the detail. From the front it looks the same. So Burly’s best feature is it’s….Backside.

IMG_20181012_0808012

Andre_L
    Participant

I just finished printing a new center/gantry (i’ve been too rough with my previous one 🙂 So I guess better wait for the new one.

On top of the MPCNC HEAVY suggestion I would go with the MPCNC Falcon Heavy, just to tease Elon Musk. Either he will like it or he will sue you for it or maybe a bit of both lol!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Andrew Moskito
    Participant

You’ll need a crappy printer to print them on too, to test out your designs. Maybe an anet a8?

Hey, My Anet a8 is fantastic!

Barry
    Participant

fingers

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

HAHAHAHHAHAHQA. So close. I just finished with the wires on my test bench, headed to get a Dr. Pepper (don’t judge me I earned it) and put on the leadscrew, Done. CAD checks out on 2-3 versions (#3 is no issues), done. CAD assembly, done. Most of the STL’s…Done.

So orient the STL’s, and beat this thing up a little bit is all that is left. Then the pictures and instructions are not that different so they can wait a bit.

I can say….I am happy so far. It took me way too many prints but so far so good, worth the effort.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.