Build in South Africa – Hardware and Parts verification

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Build in South Africa – Hardware and Parts verification

This topic contains 41 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Lionel
    Participant

Hey there guys,

Most of my parts have arrived, the rest will be arriving at some point between now and mid May. I want to start building the structure ASAP and will start printing after the weekend, but before I start actually building the frame I really need to know if I need to add struts to the frame.

I went for a 1m by 1m which made the tubes for the x and y axis 1.2m… Do you reckon I need struts, cause if so I will need to get holes drilled and will need to buy some form of tap die set to tap the holes.

I want to spray paint the tubes thus I would prefer to do this IF required before I spray paint.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Barry
    Participant

Yea, you’ll probably need mid span supports.  When I did mine I didn’t bother actually attaching the supports to the tubes.  I did the all-thread support, and just ran a nylock nut to the bottom of the tube so it stayed straight.  We’re not really worried about upwards motion, the weight of the machine is enough.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lionel
    Participant

Thanks for the response and the info Barry,

Tell me, what size did you go for there? Looks massive, so I am hoping that it’s larger than the size that I have opted to go with, else my wife might just kill me

Henho
    Participant

Forget about spray painting the pipes.

The bearings will wear down the paint and make it chip off leaving you with pipe that look terrible.

Rather get some stainless pipe and leave it as is.

Lionel
    Participant

Ah, well the pipes were coated when they were cut. I guess I could sand them down to remove all of that, but I doubt they are stainless steel.

So what other options would I have, as I want this baby to be as “Sexy” as possible.

Lionel
    Participant

Do you reckon powder coating would work?

Henho
    Participant

Powdercoating adds about 150um per side on the pipe diameter.

So your 25.6mm pipe becomes 25.9mm diameter.

You could try e-coating which is much thinner but still strong or hard anodizing.

Barry
    Participant

Doesn’t matter what you coat them with, the point load of the bearings is insane.  Ryan cranked the tightening bolts on his stainless machine just to see what would happen.  Plastic held just fine, it did push some fairly substantial flats into the stainless tubes.  I think he said even the blued stainless tubes on his black and red machine has silver lines where the bearing run.  The contact point is less than a millimeter square.

kd2018
    Participant

Pinstriped rails might look pretty cool

Lionel
    Participant

Hey there Guys,

I am having a hell of a time getting my hands on a Leadscrew and nut with a 2mm pitch. No-one in South Africa seems to have stock. Every order I have placed for this from overseas via Amazon and Aliexpress have been refunded as they just not getting here.

Local suppliers are able to furnish the Leadscrew and nut with an 8mm pitch. Will this work? Is it as simple as modifying the firmware, and if I do go this route how much precision would be lost?

Thanks

All I want to do is get this build going!!

Lionel
    Participant

Ryan
    Keymaster

Any screw is fine, if you can mount it, it is as simple as changing one number in the firmware.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.