Build in South Africa – Hardware and Parts verification

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Build in South Africa – Hardware and Parts verification

This topic contains 41 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Lionel
    Participant

Hey there All,So I am in South Africa, and would rather prefer to verify parts before I start buying as not all parts are readily available thus alternatives might be needed and importing will definitely be a requirement.

I currently have a RAMPS 1.4 and NEMA 17 stepper motors, which were bought for a 3D Printer build, which wasn’t used as in the end I imported a CR-10.  I am thinking of eventually getting a Smoothieboard (https://www.diyelectronics.co.za/store/cnc-controller-boards/1405-smoothieboard-5xc-cnc-controller-board-v11.html) but as I
    have the RAMPS I am leaving it for now as I want to keep costs down.

• Is it acceptable at this point to use the RAMPS board
    • Would a smoothieboard work if upgraded to it, else what else would be suggested?

For the spindle, I am going to import this. Now I was wondering why you suggest the Dewalt 660 as the best option?
    Why would you suggest it over the second option? I would assume that with some work, probably not with the RAMPS 1.4 though (will have to analyze), the spindle could be controlled via the board.

For the Belt, what is the max width allowable. I see from the link that the item is 6mm, but would 10mm work as well? Then for the pulley, must it be a 16 tooth pulley? I ask this as they seem to always be out of stock. Would a 20 tooth pulley work as long as it is for the Gt2. Further to this, if absolutely required could a t2.5 belt and pulley be used if GT2 cannot be sourced?

For the bearings, can the 608zz (8x22x7mm) be used? : https://www.diyelectronics.co.za/store/radial-bearings/27-radial-ball-bearing-608zz-8x22x7mm.html

Then finally, for the lead screw and nut must they have a 2mm lead (TR8x2) or would an 8mm lead work (TR8x8). I ask this as the nut for the 2mm lead always seems out of stock

I know there is a lot to check above but any assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

BT
    Participant
    1. The RAMPS is an option.  Ryan doesn’t sell it anymore because he could not get a quality supplier to buy it from, but it is still supported.  I would suggest getting it to work with the Ramps before upgrading it – you shouldn’t need to upgrade it as the Ramps can do everything the CNC needs.
    2. You can use the 20T pulley, you would just need to update the steps/mm.  You may be able to use the T2.5, but there would be less clearance because the belt is 0.5mm wider.
    3. 608zz bearings aren’t sealed, but they will work until they get gunked up with sawdust.
    4. Either lead screw will work.  The steps/mm will need to be adjusted based on the distance/mm and the number of starts.
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Lionel
    Participant

Hey there BT,

Thanks for the above. I truly appreciate it.

Just one question then regarding the pulley and the leadscrew & nut, would changing the steps/mm have a drastic effect on the system?

Lionel
    Participant

Ah sorry,

Another question. I am looking to start CNC’ing on Acrylic and wood, and make some PCBs.

With that said, would it make sense to buy these:

Thanks for any assistance given

Barry
    Participant

Too many flutes.  Try to stick to 2 or single flute end mills.  The 660 spins too fast to get the speeds and feeds needed for more than 2, and they’re just a tad too fast for 2, but close enough.  Ryan suggests the 660 because they’re cheap here in the US, can be found fairly easily, and have acceptable runout.  Really any trim router will work as long as you can make or print a mount for it.

Lionel
    Participant

Okay, so the 660 spins too fast, but I am thinking of importing the second spindle within the parts list (https://www.amazon.com/Konmison-Cooled-Spindle-Clamps-Converter/dp/B0154MW4E8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1469473671&sr=8-1&keywords=500W+spindle&linkCode=sl1&tag=vicicn-20&linkId=6d1860860e53baefc9e0d86c27e0f509)

Would this spin too fast? And could you give me some URLs for the correct bits?

Sorry to bother, but once I order I want to be able to Print, Build and then test/cut as soon as possible

Thanks

Lionel
    Participant

Lionel
    Participant

Okay, so this is my current parts list, could someone check it out and let me know if it makes sense :

With that, all items seem to be ordered except for the bolts and it’s nuts and end mill bits

Barry
    Participant

Okay, so the 660 spins too fast, but I am thinking of importing the second spindle within the parts list (https://www.amazon.com/Konmison-Cooled-Spindle-Clamps-Converter/dp/B0154MW4E8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1469473671&sr=8-1&keywords=500W+spindle&linkCode=sl1&tag=vicicn-20&linkId=6d1860860e53baefc9e0d86c27e0f509)

Would this spin too fast? And could you give me some URLs for the correct bits?

Sorry to bother, but once I order I want to be able to Print, Build and then test/cut as soon as possible

Thanks

Probably.  The issue is the mpcnc can’t move the router fast enough through the material, it is printed after all…  So we use “slower” end mills.  It all comes down to chip size, the chips take the heat with them.  The 4 flute end mills running at our speeds make dust, which doesn’t remove heat fast enough, so we either burn the material we’re cutting, or burn the sawdust coming out of the cut, which isn’t good either.  This leads to bad cuts, and quickly worn out end mills.  Look for something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/HQMaster-3-175mm-Milling-Engraving-Tungsten/dp/B07F3G5GQ9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=NRE5AWZXW89N&keywords=single+flute+1%2F8+carbide+upcut+router+aluminum&qid=1551403645&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011&rnid=2661617011&s=gateway&sprefix=1+flute+upc%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-1

Lionel
    Participant

Okay, well then I guess I will be placing the orders then.

Works out to about R6158.75 which comes in just under what I had to play with… Then I will just need to find a hardware store that has the required bolts and nuts, etc

Bluff Chuffer
    Participant

Why not use Aliexpress? Just make sure it is sent by China Registered Air Mail. Generally 2 months wait and longer if the SA post office still has a backlog.

Lionel
    Participant

With the SA post office it could take up to 6 months, which is how long it took with the last order via AliExpress.

Whereas it makes sense to order thru them for certain items I just don’t have the patience available.

I have been interested in building an MPCNC for almost a year now and honestly don’t want a massive delay.

Hope that makes sense.

Barry
    Participant

Why not use Aliexpress? Just make sure it is sent by China Registered Air Mail. Generally 2 months wait and longer if the SA post office still has a backlog.

I just imagined a Chinese postal carrier in a row boat with a single package in the boat with him.  It doesn’t take that long to make the product, from mining the materials to finished product!

Bill
    Participant

I’ll jump in even though the discussion has been stale for a bit. The Mega/RAMPS kit you linked uses A4988 drivers, not the DRV8825 drivers recommended.The 4988s will work, you’ll just have edit and compile your own version of the firmware since you need to halve steps per mm.

Lionel
    Participant

Hey there Bill,

Thanks for the information. Do you by any chance have any links or such that I could look at that would better explain what would need to be done?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Bill
    Participant

Depends on which links you are looking for… Alternate packages to purchase that include the DRV8825 drivers or steps for changing the software to work with the A4988 drivers you already bought. 🙂

Lionel
    Participant

Steps for changing the firmware to work with what I currently have. I have to now work with what I have got unfortunately, so any assistance in pointing me in the right direction would be great

Thanks

Bluff Chuffer
    Participant

I’m on the Bluff, Durban. Where are you?

Lionel
    Participant

I’m on the Bluff, Durban. Where are you?

Hey there, I am in Fourways, Johannesburg North.

Bluff Chuffer
    Participant

ph o314661844

Henho
    Participant

I was wondering when the RSA guys were going to start showing up.

I have a MPCNC up and running in Centurion.

1 inch Stainless steel tubes with a 400x400mm working area and a “drop table” Z axis. Running a 500W brushless spindle on a ATMega256 with RAMPS1.4

Also got a V1 MP3DP cut from 5mm black perspex, modified to run 2x bowden extruders for dual materials and a V2 MP3DP from 10mm MDF with a modified E3D V6 extruder with a quick release. Will upload some pictures sometime.

My trusty Reprap Mendel has been recently modified to be a 3W Laser engraver

There are other local suppliers in centurion to source parts. Send me a PM and I will forward some details.

Bluff Chuffer
    Participant

I don’t think a pm is possible otherwise I would have used it instead of the forum.

My Reprap Mendel is with my nephew. Also have V1 MP3DP, alloy frame and a dual extruder steel frame V2. Made 3 MPCNC’s, first scrapped, 2nd 25mm tube under the bench and the latest 25.4mm Stainless steel Burly 60 x 40 cm. End stops etc. Did use a Makita, but I now have a 500 Watt Chinese ER 11 spindle.

After I built the first MPCNC I decided to convert my Emco mill to cnc and I now use it most of all, for steel, bronze brass etc.

All  my cnc’s run with Estlcam.

I am a member of the SACNC club in Centurion.

Will make contact somehow folks.

Lionel
    Participant

Well at least there are some locals that I can turn to to help out when I get stuck.

This is awesome.

I will be building a 1000×1000 working area MPCNC.

Any local supplier information would be greatly appreciated as I am struggling to find anyone here that can consistently supply what I need for all my projects.

Once this is built I might also need to tap your guys knowledge to get a better understanding of feeds and speeds. Also need to start studying the CAM module within Fusion 360.

1 inch Stainless steel tubes with a 400x400mm working area and a “drop table” Z axis. Running a 500W brushless spindle on a ATMega256 with RAMPS1.4

Could you explain what you use a “drop table” for in this regard.

Thanks

Lionel
    Participant

For the build, anything I need to know if I want to build 1Mx1Mx300mm ? Do I need to add struts every so often and if so what would be suggested? Anything that I could print to keep in line with the overall design?

Then for the wiring, would ethernet (CAT6) cable work? I have read somewhere that people use a twisted pair for each stepper connector, but not sure if that would be wise or not.

Thanks all

Henho
    Participant

Explanation on the drop table.

It is not strictly a drop table but the MPCNC is built on a torsion box with holes cut over the corners.

Standard setup is the pipes on the corners are dropped into the torsion box giving you less height and better rigidity on cuts.

If more z-height is required then I loosen the corner feet and pull the pipe out to give better Z-height. You just need to make sure all the corners are the same height.

Using a twisted pair per stepper motor wire should be fine. Just check out how to wire the steppers in series. Mine are currently wires in parallel and I want to change to series sometime soon.

Lionel
    Participant

Thanks for the Info Henho,

Was just at communica getting components for another project so just bought some 4 core cable and some connectors while I was at it. From there I can decide how I want to set it up.

Will look into Series vs Parallel on the stepper motors.

Shot.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Series or individual drivers, Parallel is a bad option for this equipment.

Barry
    Participant

Also make sure the cable is stranded(patch cables) wire.  Solid core, which is usually the stuff in the walls and ceilings will work harden and break.  Causes all kinds of issues.  Both my machines are using cat6 patch cables.

Lionel
    Participant

Well I bought a 2 pair cable today, which has stranded cores, and I have a ton of cat6 cable, so will see which I decide to use.

Then for the stepper motors I have 5 drivers o  the ramps board so surely I can go individual yes?

Lionel
    Participant

Hey there guys.

The last bit of advice I need is the requirement or not of some form of struts if I want to build an MPCNC with a cutting size of 1m by 1m.

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I am getting my brother-in-law to source the tubing as he is a manufacturer and thus if struts are required I would like to get him to add them while cutting down to size before delivering.

Thanks guys

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.