Bit of an accident

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Bit of an accident

This topic contains 70 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  BT 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author

Mike
    Participant

Very good to hear you are making progress!

Johnny
    Participant

That’s great Bill! Glad to hear it.

Bill
    Participant

This week I’m practicing walking with a walker (foot still in the boot), standing for balance with body twists and bends (not surprisingly this would also help with assembling a new 3D printer), and doing various exercises aimed at strengthening my leg. On Friday I’ve been promised beginning stairs. One of my milestones is to be able to deal with the two steps needed to get to the pool tables at Zim’s Brau Haus. I’m betting on Saturday!
    😉

SquidPlan
    Participant

Best of luck with the recovery.  I think a Brau Haus might just be the incentive to keep moving.  🙂

Bill
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve tested getting into the brau haus, that’s not a problem. 😉 The pool tables are in a recessed area though, two steps down.

SquidPlan
    Participant

As much as I would love to do testing on a coffee machine a freaking bolt counter/bagger is next for sure. I have the electronics done, just need to get into the hardware. Jeez bagging these things takes forever.

I saw the hackaday link and I wouldn’t want to discourage building a machine since machines are fun, but I used a thing like this once upon a time and it was quite nice for counting parts:   https://www.uline.com/BL_2218/Uline-Easy-Count-Scales

Jeffeb3
    Participant

They are proud of those, huh? Are there decent sensors for 5V Arduinos for weight? I’ve taken a kitchen scale apart and it was a strain gauge attached to a chunk of aluminum.

I’m guessing Ryan would be trying to make something like those things. But with an auger driven by Arduino to actually push the screws onto the scale. It would stop when there were enough screws.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I used a thing like this once upon a time

Basically how I do it now, too many for that and not enough for the big boy machines.

I have an optical counter rigged up but I need the bagging part now. I might just have to pay to have thrm prepackaged, cheaper than hiring someone.

Bill
    Participant

Just to prove it’s possible to recover eventually… It’s a bit tough to walk around using the table as one crutch, but I kept it up for three games. 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant

Yay!!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ha, I use the table as a crutch when playing pool every time. A few beers later and sometimes two hands are required.

I bet a night out after all this ordeal felt amazing. Glad to see it!

Bill
    Participant

Well, amazing is one word … my ankle is still complaining that I overdid it yesterday. But I’d do it again. 🙂

Valdes
    Participant

This isn’t good idea to drive car at 100+ MPH. One accident will cause the whole life crying.

Bill
    Participant

This isn’t good idea to drive car at 100+ MPH. One accident will cause the whole life crying.

Yes, unfortunately I have no control over what the other drivers on the road do. 🙁

Bill
    Participant

And I hit a new milestone today… After ten weeks I was allowed to stand, and take a couple of assisted steps, on my actual feet without the boot. I’m not supposed to try it on my own at home yet, but hopefully that’ll show up after my next PT appointment next week.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Tap dancing in no time!

Bill
    Participant

I’m more concerned with getting into the garage and running my MPCNC without worrying about taking a tumble. 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

We are all friends here, you don’t have to keep you true passion from us.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

We are all friends here, you don’t have to keep you true passion from us.

Which is, if course, preaching on the street corners about the real truth. The Flat Earth.

Ryan
    Keymaster

While tap dancing.

CharlieBravo
    Participant

Just seen this and it sucks being injured and being away from the things we love.  Hope you get to high stepping again soon!  Some might get the ref as the great old man would say it all the time.  spent the last 1.5 recovering from a surgery that was supposed to make it better and then got to play guinea pig with medicines to help with the prior surgery problems and then the additional problems caused by the surgery.

Just keep the head up and do what you can, when you can!  I got to learn a lot on youtube when I spent time off the feet!

CB

Bill
    Participant

Twelve weeks and counting…

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

YES!!!

Johnny
    Participant

Nice Bill! Thats awesome!

Bill
    Participant

Bit of a set back today, my first really with this. They did some x-rays of the foot and found that two of the screws have broken and another was working it’s way in enough deeper to affect the adjoining bone. Back into surgery next Tuesday and off my feet again for at least two more weeks after that. 🙁

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Nooo!

Also, cringe. That must be painful.

Bill
    Participant

Yeah, it kind of is… I went in early (appt with Ortho wasn’t until end of May) due to the change in pain. I was expecting the screw that had gone in farther, but not the broken ones. Yet more time before I can fire the MPCNC up to cut parts for the MP3DPv2. 😉

Barry
    Participant

That sucks.  Friend of mine broke both bones in the bottom of his leg playing hockey.  They had to cut on him three times to get it straightened out.  Third time they ended up putting a titanium rod down the inside of the front bone, can’t remember what that one is called.  The break was healing, but not together.

David Rabbit
    Participant

Ouch.  Not that it truly makes you whole in a case like this, but I hope you had insurance against uninsured motorists.  IIRC, something like 1 out of 3 drivers is driving uninsured.

Just feel lucky you’re alive!  🙂

Bill
    Participant

Yeah, the uninsured motorist portion paid for the initial ambulance trip to the hospital, almost. I’m still waiting to see how much insurance will cover of the rest. I’m at about $200k at last count. Good thing they can’t take the house…

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.