Ben's 3' x 6' Rebuild with pics

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC Ben's 3' x 6' Rebuild with pics

This topic contains 129 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Smith Hayward 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • Author

Benjammann
    Participant

Doubled up 2040?

Similar to 8020. Aluminum V-Slot linear rail from OpenBuilds. Along with 8 of their Extreme Solid V wheel Kits.

Night and day difference in rigidity. I’d say at least 5 times as rigid judging from some simple flex measurements. I know I was asking for trouble with a 6′ X axis to begin with but it’s a relitivly easy and inexpensive improvment to make once I got myself in this situation.

IMG_3271
    IMG_3257

Ryan
    Keymaster

Approximately how much did the rails and wheels cost with shipping?

Benjammann
    Participant

Approximately how much did the rails and wheels cost with shipping?

Around $150

Barry
    Participant

Why not just run with the extruded aluminum?

Benjammann
    Participant

Why not just run with the extruded aluminum?

I had the machine finished before I realized how much play there would be in the X axis. Rather than spend a month redesigning and printing I just modified one part, spent $150, and used an hour of labor to install. I do plan on my next one being all extruded aluminum, (spending around $3k) but this works for now. $150 and a few hours and I have a 6′ MPCNC that I think is probably as rigid as a 3′ version.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Clayton
    Participant

Neat. With the addition of those extrusions I’d say widen up your X and Y roller bearing placement to make them less likely from… I guess twisting? Seems like it’d keep the extrusions from twisting up and down, and the entire axis from rotating (though this may not be too important given the dual steppers per axis)

Chad
    Participant

I actually just bought the v slot rail and wheels this morning, so it’s good to see that it works well for you.  Mine will be going onto a low rider though.  I got 4 1500mm tracks for $63 on amazon.

Smith Hayward
    Participant

I may not be adding to the conversation, but I wanted to say that this was an exhilarating ride through the tuning of this machine.  I’m planning my build (I’ve posted some renders on the Facebook page) and the information I just garnered from your experience will no doubt save me both time and aggravation.  And since my work area will be 33″ square (so that 32″ won’t be pushing it) I expect that with properly tightened belts, verified frame lengths and some careful squaring, I too will be able to achieve sufficient perfection.

Benjammann
    Participant

I wanted to say that this was an exhilarating ride through the tuning of this machine. I’m planning my build (I’ve posted some renders on the Facebook page) and the information I just garnered from your experience will no doubt save me both time and aggravation. And since my work area will be 33″ square (so that 32″ won’t be pushing it) I expect that with properly tightened belts, verified frame lengths and some careful squaring, I too will be able to achieve sufficient perfection.

Awesome. I did not realize what I did here could be exhilarating reading! Really glad it can help you have a smoother build.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Smith Hayward
    Participant

Awesome. I did not realize what I did here could be exhilarating reading! Really glad it can help you have a smoother build.

Seriously! I spent the whole time wondering, “Man, what the hell could it be?” and “I hope he got it tuned!” and coming up with my own theories about what the problem is (I was right as one point) 🙂

Cheers!

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.