Back at it with a custom MP3DP

New Home Forum Milled Printed 3D Printer -MP3DP Your Builds – MP3DP Back at it with a custom MP3DP

This topic contains 42 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  SteamPunkProgrammer 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

SteamPunkProgrammer
    Participant

yup, 1/32 (all jumpers) with Drv8825s, I’d give the slicer settings a shot.

SteamPunkProgrammer
    Participant

so I cranked the e-steps up to 800, and it finally had an effect on it, much more solid but still has that weird pattern on top. starting to think something is wrong with the extruder. Going to hook up a normal MK8 later tonight to see what happens.

SteamPunkProgrammer
    Participant

I believe I’ve located the source of the problem, and its with the extruder. Not sure the cause, but whats happening is the extruder filament is slipping, I see the gear slowly and evenly spin but the filament moves very inconstantly, like it cant get pushed thought the extruder fast enough and is rebounding back.

edit: bit of research strongly suggests my feed rate is to high!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Could it still be a temperature issue? It might be cooling some when you’re extruding a lot. Because the heater isn’t keeping up with the amount of plastic. Did you run the pid tuning by chance?

SteamPunkProgrammer
    Participant

I switched to a normal MK8 direct drive to see if the extruder was the problem, EXACTLY the same issue. I did run the PID tuning.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Hmmm. Interesting… (that’s code for idk).

Aaron
    Participant

It definitely might be running infill too fast. might be worth checking if your extruder gears are turning correctly, and if filament is moving correctly/not slipping. Might need to add more or less tension to the arm.

SteamPunkProgrammer
    Participant

It definitely might be running infill too fast. might be worth checking if your extruder gears are turning correctly, and if filament is moving correctly/not slipping. Might need to add more or less tension to the arm.

It was slipping; I solved that but still same problem as before.

SteamPunkProgrammer
    Participant

My plan now is to just disassemble the whole thing this weekend and reassemble it; debugging specific things seems to be not getting me there.

SteamPunkProgrammer
    Participant

So, I believe I figured it out. it was because I’m using DRV8825 instead of A4988 (which im used too!) the jumpers result in different step modes for each chip, I had no idea… it was set to 1/32 instead of 1/16 cant test it yet, but this def seems like the problem based on some extruding tests

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Jumpering all them should give you 1/32 for drvs and 1/16 for a4988s. You van quickly check that though. If you command a move of 10mm on any direction, it shouldn’t be 20mm (and the extruder is measure by the filament going into the hotend).

Aaron
    Participant

I think twice you were asked if the printer moves 10mm when you tell it to, and not 20 or another number. This would have confirmed the steps.

How were you calibrating the e steps? just putting in 200? or actually measuring and extruding 100mm of filament and then doing the equation to get it close?

SteamPunkProgrammer
    Participant

I was calibrating the steps by measuring the movements, changing the jumpers to 1/16 from 1/32 didn’t change the rate of movement, but it def changed the torque. It was having problems exuding 10mm at a time (lots of jumping and ticking) now it does it smoothly.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.