Avoiding Y axis wobble

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Avoiding Y axis wobble

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Harry T
    Participant

Hi. I’ve been spending the last couple of weeks looking at what kind of machine to build. This build looks amazing, I’m seriously thinking about getting started on one.  I’ve read through the ‘Grand plans for an update’ thread looked at lot of build pics .. but I’m failing to understand how it tracks straight as it moves along the Y axis, without weaving in X. I can’t see how the machine ‘clamps’ to the table to avoid X movement. I could understand if (on at least one side) the wheels ran in some kind of track or there was a roller against a straight edge or something… Is it just down to having belts under tension on both sides?

In terms of the Z axis, there are no wheels beneath, so I gather it’s weight that stops the gantry lifting up when the router goes down?

A little bit of clarity in how this works would just give me that extra bit of confidence! (Thanks!)

Jeffeb3
    Participant

You’re correct on the weight holding down the Z. It’s plenty heavy.

I haven’t tried this new version yet, but on my low rider, I added a 3/4″x3/4″ piece of plywood next to where the wheels travel They rub a little against those guides to keep them moving. The theory is that they will just track well enough to not need them, but they are a very simple addition if you find you do need them. Just my $0.02.

I would like to see more smaller low riders out there, so if you’re on the fence, maybe try starting with a smaller low rider and really fine tune it before deciding to try the 9’x5′ version. Just another $0.02 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The router doesn’t really exert that much force to move the machine. I know it doesn’t seem that way but really dragging an 1/8″ endmill doesn’t take much force. The wheels have plenty of grip to overcome the forces exerted on it. I didn’t believe it either at first.

If you don’t trust it you can easily add a track.

Harry T
    Participant

Thanks both for the quick replies.

The suggestion about starting small makes sense, since this design would cost so little to extend in any dimension. From examining the pics I couldn’t see any reason not to get oversize tubes and hang ’em out the end until I make a wider table .. unless I’m missing something! Failing that I’ll just get too much tube …

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is a solid idea as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.