Australian tube options

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 93 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Nik 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 94 total)
  • Author

gazob
    Participant

the stumbling block seems to be Australia post not liking lengths of parcel above 1.05 metres, using the rest of the figures and calculating weight at 8kg parcel post would be $21.05. (based on being sent from sydney, not sure your actual location in NSW). Couriers please would be not a lot more $22.88 from Sydney with no signature required ($25 with signature) and no hassles on length, and they would pick up from your home or business, and I could do they payment from here and email you the consignment note.

To answer one of your earlier questions cost seems largely dependent on cost of printed parts.

Given printed parts use 2kg of filament (2 spools) the plastic itself is probably going to cost $50 plus whatever the person printing takes on top if you dont have access to a printer. (if you don’t have access to a printer I can certainly print your for cost of Plastic + post)
    The vitamin kit from vicous seems pretty good value at US$ 240 which today is $AU 330, cant see any postage options here so dont know what that will be.
    If you take your tube at $70 a length and for your dimensions you would need 2 lengths and probably some extra belt in the above vitamins kit from vicous.
    Australian price is in the $500 ball park plus whatever you are using for a spindle.

laserman
    Participant

Thanks for the update. I have an UP! Plus 2 3D printer, it only has a 140mm print bed, but is really accurate and produces nice prints. I’m upgrading to the massive 3D Beast (http://www.cultivate3d.com/) with it’s 470 x 435 x 690mm build space, but the UP! should work for now, just need to find some $$ and get some more filament.
    I need to print some 230mm wide parts for my telescope, so am looking forward to the bigger printer.
    Shipping of the alloy would be either from Orange NSW 2800, or Mudgee NSW 2850, I can probably get it cut pretty precisely once you have decided the lengths you want. I’ll get it checked to make sure it is nice and straight if you do want to get some. I’ll be buying some for myself, just trying to decide on the dimensions that I want.
    BTW, what is a decent spindle that is available in Oz? Mostly cutting plastic sheets up to 3mm, and maybe some MDF.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I do believe I checked this before. I could ship conduit to Australia for about $100 (shipping plus material cost), but it would be for a 24″ x 24″.
    This would be separate from the hardware bundle which ships for about $63.

gazob
    Participant

Thanks for the offer vicious, the price from laserman for the 3mm walled alu tubing actually works out cheaper as i can get 2 sets couriered for around $30, and I have a feeling the reduced weight of the alu tube would be an advantage over the galv conduit.

Laserman re the spindle: I have a birthday tomorrow and my wife was keen for me to have something bought and boxed to open so went with the makita RT0700CX from total tools http://www.totaltools.com.au/makita-710w-1-4-plunge-router-trimmer-rt0700cx/i1030085/#.ViREAX4rLmE . Had a look around the shapeoko forums and alot of the Australians have chosen this and seem happy with it, I don’t have anything specifically planned to do with the mill, but I’m assuming at this point alot will be woodwork, and the odd bits of aluminium and plastic.

Just tried for a quote from “couriers please” from both Mudgee and Orange and they don’t pickup, but transdirect use road express from both mudgee and Orange and is like $32 so not a big deal there. If you have a preference for a local courier with national affiliates let me know and ill choose based on your preference.

Yeah once I decide on lengths will get back to you, will be doing a quick look at the recycle centre at the local tip tomorrow, not expecting to find what I want, but will be cheap if its there else will finalise sizing and get back to you.

laserman
    Participant

No problem, there is plenty in stock, just let me know.

gazob
    Participant

Laserman, ended up finding a local supplier of the appropriate alu tube at similar prices to yours yesterday, but with the no freight issues have bought what I needed. Thanks for the offer.

Garry

laserman
    Participant

Good stuff! It should be available to anyone that deals in steel etc.

Let me know how it turns out, I blew all my money on a big-arse 3D Printer, so I am saving up again to get the mill built.

gazob
    Participant

Yeah, shouldn’t be that difficult, I think the biggest issue is a lot of the places don’t have websites with what they stock and as such when you go looking on the Internet you can’t find what you are looking for, took a little bit of time on the phone then a quick drive and picked up all cut nicely to size.

laserman
    Participant

True, I think people forget sometimes that you have to get out from behind the screen to find some things 🙂

castrol69
    Participant

Hi Gazob, you said you have found a supplier in Melbourne, which supplier would that be?

I haven’t tried looking around as yet (just waiting for my Inmoov robot to print) but would be handy to know for when I start on this project.

Cheers

Jamie

gazob
    Participant

Wlliamstown Metals, 44 Tennyson Street Williamstown.

Easy and no fuss, if you want to pay in advance they will have it cut and waiting, I walked in there with my cut list, and spent 15 minutes around the corner having a look through a great saltwater aquarium supplies store and was all done by the time I got back.

castrol69
    Participant

Sweet, thanks mate.
    I’m in Torquay but often head into Melbourne so would be perfect for me to get on the way.

Cheers
    Jamie

Ryan
    Keymaster

When a few of you get up and running, can you let us know how the aluminum extrusion works? I am worried that the high bearing point load will wear in a flat spot and cause loose parts, it could also work harden and be just fine. I just moved and haven’t found a metal supplier to try it myself. The steel tubes show wear relatively quickly.

castrol69
    Participant

That was one of my concerns too.

Do you think it might still be viable to use smaller bearings for a wider OD(25.4mm) or would they be too far off center of the pipe?

gazob
    Participant

For what its worth I used this program http://www.1d-solutions.com/home.htm to optimize my cut list, type in all the lengths you require, the length of the tube you are cutting from and how much you lose for each cut and it optimizes what to cut from each length. Then I started playing with my dimensions to optimise for 2 sets of tube from 3 lengths. The program listed is freeware limited in that you cant export or print, I just took a screenshot of the result and then printed that out.

On the wearing, I think it will take a fair while for any wear to become significant, but will certainly report once Im up and running.

GaZ

Ryan
    Keymaster

Tough to say, if you leave everything really loose it might work. Seems like it should.

3dTI
    Participant

Hello all.

I’ve only just started getting the parts together for my own MPCNC, but I thought I’d add a suggestion for the 25mm tube.

I purchased through a local stainless steel supplier a 6m length of milled stainless tube. It is VERY accurate. The nominal OD is 25mm (+/- <0.3mm over the 6mtr length) is 316 grade (extremely wear resistant) and very reasonably priced ($70AUD for the 6mtr length). Wall thickness is 1.6mm which is plenty rigid, 316 stainless is Hard as f’k.

I’ve set up the outer frame (corner blocked, feet, squared everything) at lengths of 1200*800, and there is no need for supports. The frame is very rigid.

I’ll start a thread in the builds section when I have more time. I have some more printing to do before I can complete the mechanical assembly. I’ll put together a build log and post something after that.

Let me know if anyone is interested in the details of the tube. I can offer details of the supplier and the exact name and specs of the tube if anyone wants to order. I’m fairly sure the steel shop is a national chain here in Australia.

Thanks.
    Justin.

laserman
    Participant

By all means list the supplier and details, I’d be happy to get some in for anyone, and I might switch to a stainless build myself.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Never thought much about it but stainless might just be the best choice. It doesn’t have galvanizing and it is not very expensive, good tolerances, no rust, rigid. I want to get some and try it out. Should be readily available.

Can’t wait, thanks!

3dTI
    Participant

Sorry I have lost my invoice for the stainless tube. I will get the details from the steel shop tomorrow.

This is the company I have been dealing with. My boss has an account (we through several thousand dollars worth of stainless a week so his prices are pretty awesome)

http://www.vulcansteel.co.nz/

I’ll post the exact part # for easy ordering after work tomorrow.

I opted for the 600grit milled 316 tube. It was a little pricier than the rough milled tube (320 I think) but it makes no difference to the accuracy of the nominal OD, it just had a much smoother finish (like half way to mirror finish I guess).

Aesthetically, it’s very pleasing (if your into all that lol) I just thought it might promote smoother motion, and less wear? Maybe?

Cheers.
    Justin.

3dTI
    Participant

Ok. Scratch that. I just found it lol.

I wont post a copy of the invoice (my bosses account number and all his details are on it) but here are the specifics.

Vulcan list it as.

25.4mm X 1.6mm WELDED TUBE 600GRIT G316 ASTM A554 6.00m lenght (5.700kg) Price per length $48.38AUD(inc GST)

Remember this is my bosses “special” price, so you may end up paying a little more, but still cheap as chips.

Also I apologize that I listed it as 25mm tube in an earlier post. It’s not true “metric” tube but actually 1″. Proper 25mm tube is available via special order, at an exorbitant price. I had no issue with the extra .4mm width. It still slid smoothly into the corner blocks with very little resistance. I recommend printing one corner block on your printer (if printing your own) and test to see if you need to adjust any parameters to get a snug fit.

Perhaps vicious could test fit a piece of 1″ tube with his printed parts to confirm comparability for Australian customers buying his kits (not sure if this has been done already or not, sorry)

Thanks,
    Justin.

3dTI
    Participant

Hello.

I previously posted some information on some stainless steel tube that I thought would be suitable for use in the IE of the MPCNC. It was not a true metric tube but rather 1″ (25.4mm). While it worked perfectly with my printed corner blocks and roller F, it is not perfectly suited to the middle assembly.

The problem I have found is the extra 0.4mm causes the tube fitted to the z axis to foul on the bearings that support the tubes for the gantry and vice versa (does that make sense?) This being the case, I went back to the drawing board and began searching anew for suitable tube.

I had previously found 25mm alloy tube, but I was not sold on the surface of the tube being hard enough for long term use. I envisioned the bearings cutting grooves into the malleable alloy. But I think I have found a solution in the form of a hard anodised/hot dipped alloy tube available through Ullrich Aluminium http://www.ullrich.com.au/

It is very cheap (cheaper than the stainless tube I previously listed) nice and rigid (at 3mm wall thickness it rivals the stainless tube over similar lengths) and the surface finish is very hard. The finish is a hot dip chrome like plating with a anodised coating to prevent corrosion (used primarily in bathrooms). It is impressive how hard it actually is. For example. The 316 stainless tube was showing marks/wear from the bearings straight away, the hard anodised alloy on the other hand is totally impervious to wear from the bearings (so far).

Very impressed with this tube, and very well priced.

I will post a copy of the invoice for anyone who in interested in purchasing some for their own build.

3dTI
    Participant

Also forgot to mention. The alloy (3mm wall thickness) is much lighter than the stainless (1.6mm wall thickness) over the same lengths, that is a huge bonus IMO.

Asho777
    Participant

3dti, are you talking about that UA1969 product?

They are setup at Smithfield, so that is not too far from me.

I’m currently using the 25.00mm SS, and so far very little wear, or deflection.

But it is great to have an alternative, so thank you for the post.

Cheers
    Greg.

3dTI
    Participant

Greg.

Sorry I left the invoice at work so I don’t have the exact product code. I’ll post a copy of the invoice Monday afternoon so others can source if they want.

After spending some time over the weekend playing with the two different tubes and dummy assembling the “middle assembly”, I am sold on the alloy as the better solution. It ticks all the boxes. Very light, very stiff, very tough surface finish, great to work with (cold cuts are so much cleaner) and very cheap (less than $35AUD for a 6mtr length).

Wish I had found this sooner.

Justin.

Asho777
    Participant

Thanks Justin,

Bugger, I paid just over $200 for my SS to be supplied and cut.

I will look at this alloy tube on my next built, for sure.

Cheers
    Greg.

RH1N0
    Participant

I’m in the process of building the machine using 25.4mm steel tube from Bunnings (major Australian hardware store chain, similar to Lowes or Home Depot in USA).

http://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-25-4-x-1-2-1m-galvanised-steel-round-tube_p1130448

I bought 7 x 100 cm lengths to make a machine 100 cm x 80 cm. The short lengths are easier to transport and less likely to have been bent during storage and transport.

Printing in ABS and using a combination of sanding/filing plus scaling in slicing software to get a good fit.

3dTI
    Participant

RH1NO just a friendly heads up.

The “middle assembly” really needs proper metric 25mm tube. I have ended up using a combination of 1″ (25.4mm) stainless steel and 25mm alloy for my MPCNC. Initially I had hoped to use 1″ tube throughout, but ran into clearance issues when I went to assemble the middle/z axis.

3dTI
    Participant

Okay. Here are the spec’s, part # and pricing of the 25mm alloy tube for anyone who is interested.

Ullrich Aluminium

Part # RT253BCL6.5AL / UA1248 6463T5 6.5M / EXT Tube Dia 25x3mm / AN 5-7um BRIGHT DIP CLEAR / $27.36inc GST

There is also a hard anodizing matte finish option for the coating. They did not have any on hand, so I couldn’t comment on the surface finish. But sales rep I spoke to said that the matte finish is even more wear resistant than the bright finish, so that could be another great option.

RH1N0
    Participant

Thanks for the tip 3dTI.

Where is the clearance issue? Between Z axis pipes and X/Y bearings?

Think I’ll push ahead for now and see if I can bias clearances to suit.

Intent of the machine is to be extremely inexpensive and adaptable so I’d rather tweak the 3d printed parts (if possible) than chase more exotic or expensive pipe options.

If all else fails, I do happen to live close to an Ulrich Aluminium warehouse.

Cheers.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.