Appalachian LowRider 2

New Home Forum LowRider Your Builds – LowRider Appalachian LowRider 2

This topic contains 31 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Gray
    Participant

Just started getting my parts ordered for my LowRider 2 build.

Here is a picture of the first part off the printer. Printed with carbon fiber infused filament at .2 resolution.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

And so it begins…

1 user thanked author for this post.

Gray
    Participant

Is there a timeframe for when the plates will be available in the store again?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Shoot, I thought I had one left. Too late to mill a set out tonight and tomorrow is probably not going to happen ( I have an appointment that is probably going to kill the whole day). I can say Monday should be good, perhaps on the weekend though.

mulze32
    Participant

Here is a picture of the first part off the printer. Printed with carbon fiber infused filament at .2 resolution.

That looks great! What printer are you using?

Gray
    Participant

That looks great! What printer are you using?

I actually couldn’t tell you. My friend has a side business that he prints for and he is printing them for me. I’ll ask him tomorrow if I can remember.

Gray
    Participant

I am planning on ordering my parts today from your store. Is there a way I can go ahead and order the plates so that I can pay you for them and you can ship everything once you make the plates. Also, is there another option for ordering plates milled from plywood instead of MDF?

Gray
    Participant

I tried to edit my last comment, I’m new to this forum.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry no on both questions. Plywood is not rigid enough, with the exception of Baltic Birch $$, but the MDF is better. For production I am sticking with MDF unless I get some metal involved, and pre orders are not easy to deal with.

Gray
    Participant

Hey Ryan,

I attempted to import the .dxf files into fusion 360 for the y plates and 611 plates, but I get a notification that the files do not contain unit information. Is there a work around for this?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

They are in mm.

Gray
    Participant

My friend’s giant cnc machine that he was going to use to mill my plates is currently down and waiting for service. Does someone have a printable template of the y plates and 611 plate?

Barry
    Participant

The dxf files should print just fine.

Gray
    Participant

I need some help. I have my machine up and connected. I am a complete newbie. On my LCD screen, my XYZ coordinates just show flashing ?s. I attempted to load the G92 X0 Y0 Z0 command into the machine via Repetier Host, but I don’t think i understand it entirely. My machine is in my shop, and my PC is in my house so I am attempting to use Repetier 1.1 on a 9 Year old macbook pro. Can I not do this through the LCD Screen?

Ryan
    Keymaster

The flashing “?”‘s should go away when you start your job.

You can add a custom Gcode to move each axis a tiny amount and back (to lock them in) and then execute a g92 or you can actually add it to the menu….Or the way I have it in the instructions is just add it to your beginning Gcode.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It used to be in the lcd by default. Something like “set home offsets”.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That stopped working at one point, I guess I have not checked to see if it works again. That is when I added it to the Starting gcode (because I always forgot) and have not looked back.

Gray
    Participant

After some trial and error and a few computer issues I was able to get my machine up and running. Now just a little cable management and I will be ready for production.

Initially I cut the plates out by hand but I wasn’t happy with them, so I cut new ones with the CNC, broke it down and rebuilt it. I jointed and planed down 2x4s to make my tortion box and sheeted each side with 3/4 5×10 MDF. I set that on a centipede. The base is surprisingly strong. The centipede is rated for 3000 pounds.

Gray
    Participant

I am getting a slight chattering on my x axis. has anyone else had a similar issue?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Try lower RPM.

Gray
    Participant

A lower rpm on the router?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes

Gray
    Participant

Hey Guys, I am back up and running after a few months off and my wife and I having a kid.

I have my machine running, but am running into a fairly serious issue with my z axis motors not raising correctly. I believe there is to much weight across my 5×10 table for the small motors to raise the carriage correctly. Has anyone else had this issue? It will lower just fine, sometimes to much, but the motors skip when attempting to raise the z axis resulting in a lot of messed up parts.

Jamie
    Participant

The vertical force is very strong when everything is working correctly.  This problem is most likely an issue with wiring.  Check that your connections are secure.

I had this problem (on MPCNC) where it would lower just fine, but it would make noise and fail to raise the tool.  A better connection on the Z axis fixed the problem.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

What controller do you have? Did you wire it yourself?

Have you greased the leadscrews?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I agree with these fellas and, What speed are you trying to move the axis?

G0 Z20 F300 should move with no issues, if it doesn’t you have a big issue.

Gray
    Participant

So I went through and checked all of my wiring, I didn’t have any loose connections. I did grease my lead screw and that seemed to help. I am having to relearn since it has been months since I’ve tinkered with this much. Programming isn’t my expertise, so I struggle a little bit with some of the lingo. I am using Fusion 360 to design my flat parts and Estlcam to convert them into .gcode files and set my material thickness. I could probably do this in Fusion360, but Estlcam is so easy to define my tool paths. I do not have a computer in my shop, so I design on my computer in my house and save the .gcode files to an SD card and run those files through the LCD screen controller.

Here are a few questions that I can’t quite figure out and a nod in the correct direction would be much appreciated.

1. If my machine is zeroed out to my spoilboard surface, how do I set my starting coordinates above my material thickness without resetting the machine?
    2. Do I need some sort of script editor to add starting coordinates to a .gcode file that are different than my current zero position on my spoilboard or is there a way to do this in Estlcam?

Sorry for the ignorance, but I am having to relearn a lot that I have forgotten in the past few months.

Barry
    Participant

I’m pretty sure you can create a gcode file with G92 X0 Y0 Z0 as the only line, then move your end mill to where you want it, then run that code.  Should rezero to that spot.  You could also just add that line to the top of your part’s gcode, then move your end mill to where you want to start, and hit go.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

You can edit the files in a text editor (like wordpad). If you want an advanced editor for editing other code, visual studio code is popular and so is atom. Software engineers use text editors all day while working and they have the ability to write and edit text editors, so there are 1000 options.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

What controller do you have? Did you wire it yourself?

Have you greased the leadscrews?

I didn’t see any answers to these questions.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.