Any UK MPCNC owners?

This topic contains 247 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  S Sauntson 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 248 total)
  • Author

S Sauntson
    Participant

Wow, so far there reply’s make it seem as if this is going to be a long day dealing with Ebay’s fraud department. Ughhhhhhh, why.

Sweet, they have come around.

Excellent, the scoundrel who is selling your design needs a stun gun attaching to his privates………. Shocking hey!

Ryan
    Keymaster

He was nice enough. I asked him to become an active member of the community first, and talk partnership later. He declined.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Evening Gentlemen

only the last few items to tick off and I can then get down to some serious Black Art of CNC Routering

Today I made the Emergency STOP Button housing

image-3

Attachments:

S Sauntson
    Participant

P.S.

you will notice I have added a connector to the top right side

image-4

This is were the Z zeroing wire connects and can be easily disconnected.

Attachments:

S Sauntson
    Participant

P.P.S

I also printed and installed the Z axis Drag Chain Mount.

image-5

Thats it for today,

regards

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Z axis Drag Chain Mount.

Not a good idea, lots of frustration is caused by these things.

1 user thanked author for this post.

S Sauntson
    Participant

IS THIS CORRECT?

Morning gentlemen.

I have just been running some tests on my new MPCNC and when testing the Zero TouchPlate . It triggers perfectly but unlike the YouTube videos I’ve seen that just stop with triggered and so gives an accurate zero. Mine retracts about 5mm or so when triggered…. Is there a setting in Marlin set to do this?

I have it flashed with one of Ryan’s Marlins for the items in my project

any help advice please.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I think it’s either one of the Z_CLEARANCE settings or the Z_AFTER PROBE.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Thank you Jeffeb3, I’ll take a perusal through Configuration.h

cheers

S Sauntson
    Participant

Found this

* Z probes require clearance when deploying, stowing, and moving between
    * probe points to avoid hitting the bed and other hardware.
    * Servo-mounted probes require extra space for the arm to rotate.
    * Inductive probes need space to keep from triggering early.
    * Use these settings to specify the distance (mm) to raise the probe (or
    * lower the bed). The values set here apply over and above any (negative)
    * probe Z Offset set with Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER, M851, or the LCD.
    * Only integer values >= 1 are valid here.
    * Example: M851 Z-5 with a CLEARANCE of 4 => 9mm from bed to nozzle.
    * But: M851 Z+1 with a CLEARANCE of 2 => 2mm from bed to nozzle.
    */
    #define Z_CLEARANCE_DEPLOY_PROBE 10 // Z Clearance for Deploy/Stow
    #define Z_CLEARANCE_BETWEEN_PROBES 5 // Z Clearance between probe points

// For M851 give a range for adjusting the Z probe offset
    #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_RANGE_MIN -20
    #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_RANGE_MAX 20

// Enable the M48 repeatability test to test probe accuracy
    //#define Z_MIN_PROBE_REPEATABILITY_TEST

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
    // :{ 0:’Low’, 1:’High’ }
    #define X_ENABLE_ON 0
    #define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
    #define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
    #define E_ENABLE_ON 0 // For all extruders

// Disables axis stepper immediately when it’s not being used.
    // WARNING: When motors turn off there is a chance of losing position accuracy!
    #define DISABLE_X false
    #define DISABLE_Y false
    #define DISABLE_Z false
    // Warn on display about possibly reduced accuracy
    //#define DISABLE_REDUCED_ACCURACY_WARNING

// @section extruder

#define DISABLE_E false // For all extruders
    #define DISABLE_INACTIVE_EXTRUDER true // Keep only the active extruder enabled.

// @section machine

I have made the entry BOLD. does this seem possible as it is the distance i see when the Zmin is triggered, would it be acceptable to amend this setting to “0”

regards

Mitch
    Participant

If you read my last post here please disregard. if there is any question as to why please see the reason for the edit below.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Gentlemen

I must admit once again to having a blonde moment followed by a  brain fart. Clearly the travel of the Z axis triggered at the moment it made contact with the TouchPlate. This being zero. It then retracted but he set distance

I assume once it is actioned into use it will then lower the Z axis by the 5mm and so will give a perfect zero on the material upper surface….

regards

Mitch
    Participant

I apologize. My post was indicative of how my 3d printer works. I was trouble shooting a 3d printer before this so i was in that mode.

This should be correct but your z offset will have to be set to the thickness of the touch plate to get a perfect zero. so when the gcode starts it should move to the zero position plus the thickness of the touch plate to the material surface. This would be your actual zero. This is as long as your z offset is correct.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Yep. You can test this be sending G0 Z0 F300 and see where it stops. If you’re not using a Z Probe offset, then it should be at the height of your touchplate. Otherwise, it should be the work surface.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Morning Gentlemen

Still progressing well and following my disasterous attempt at uploading the firmware when my controlboard first arrived back on page 3 of this thread. I decided to give it another go. So back to the very beginning and following the firmware install instructions, i added the library U8glib compiled and uploaded, this time with zero reported errors YAY!

I ordered the 3.2″ MKS TFT Touchscreen yesterday and will make a custom case today.

regards

S Sauntson
    Participant

Yep. You can test this be sending G0 Z0 F300 and see where it stops. If you’re not using a Z Probe offset, then it should be at the height of your touchplate. Otherwise, it should be the work surface.

Cheers Jeffeb3 for confirming what my brain finally arrived at and for the test command. The thickness of my contact plate is 0.11mm and so think this can easily be taken up with the milling depth of my parts. This until I decide to go for a complex project. Dont worry ill keep it KISS for now. (Keep It Simple Silly)

regards

regards

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The thickness of my contact plate is 0.11mm and so think this can easily be taken up with the milling depth of my parts.

Yes, until you try carving. If you’re just cutting through, then you can just move the bit down until it touches and reset the Z coordinate with: G92 Z0. No need for a probe.

When you want to get rid of the touchplate offset, same thing, do the homing, then:

G0 Z-0.11 F300
    G92 Z0

S Sauntson
    Participant

EVENING gentlemen

SUCCESS

regards

S Sauntson
    Participant

Afternoon Gentlemen

Today is a momentous day, the last part, not strictly necessary but more of a lovely bit of bling arrived and after alittle fitting and tinkering with the setup. I can now shout “SHE’s Finished”

Enjoy

Regards

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I am pretty sure that’s the first there’s been an MPCNC with a flathead screwdriver as the tool 🙂

Nice work.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Hi Gentlemen

It maybe the first with a Flat Screwdriver as a working tool, but it sure does insert screws accurately ????

Here is a closeup of the Splash Screen.

image-6

Regards

Attachments:

S Sauntson
    Participant

Evening Gentlemen

Apologies for my silence over the past week, but work got in the way of my leisure time.

Today I did some finishing touches and attempted to cut a first part. Well it didn’t go exactly as I had hoped, it cut everything as I had programmed but didn’t cut the outline at all LOL

image-7

However for the cuts it made I’m very pleased.

I just need need to do some thinking to aid keeping the mess to a minimum. The Vac attachment didn’t work too well, this could be because I used a basic Vaccum and think I need to give this area some thought.

on a whole though, I’m very pleased

regards

Attachments:

S Sauntson
    Participant

Advice as to feed rates and Speeds

Evening gentlemen,

Well ive spent much of the past few days reading about how to CNC successfully. I must say there is far more to this than I’d actually anticipated.

Here is a quick question.

I have some GCODE for a part and to prevent the Birch Ply from burning I’ve read that speed / federate is important. To this end is a MPCNC able to deal with this

Cutter RPM 10,000

Cutter depth 1mm

Diameter 3.175mm (1/8)

Cutter with 2 flutes

I’m leaning toward a feedrate of 15mm/sec or is this alittle in the slow side….

Does anyone have any starting settings as a guide

regards gents

Ryan
    Keymaster

Test cuts, test cuts, test cuts. Cad up a little square (25-50mm) and try it out. Those numbers sound okay. Might start off a tad slower or deeper. Hard to say I have been using 20k-30k but a single flute, so it should be fairly close.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Evening Gentlemen

That was a very busy fortnight with work….. Unfortunately I have a career where I cannot drop out for two weeks and need to work as and when I am able. Anyway, back to the MPCNC.

I thought I had downloaded a “Makita” mount to stop the chips being flung everywhere. However after 28hours of printing it turned out to be one for a Version 1 of the MPCNC. So not to be deterred I drew myself another using a mishmash of a few.

Very happy with the result

you will notice some clear acrylic with pale blue protective film attached. The acrylic was cut using the MPCNC after being drawn on DesignSpark Mechanical…… Was an easy fit as the CNC cut all the holes very precisely.

i have today ordered some super flexible 38mm hose. When this as arrived and as been installed I think it’s will definitely be time for more serious routering

regards

Attachments:

S Sauntson
    Participant

Evening Gentlemen

i apologies for disappearing without a trace.

My mother passed away unexpectedly at the end of September 2018 and so I have been up past my neck with legal, financial and funeral matters.

Also dealing with my nephew who found her on the Kitchen floor. Poor guy.

I maybe quiet for alittle while longer as the funeral isn’t until next Wednesday and then I feel ill need some quiet reflective time. It’s been hectic

thank you for your understanding.

regards

Ryan
    Keymaster

So sorry for your loss. I hope that the hectic part is over and you get some quality family time to help each other through this.

DaveW
    Participant

Great project – with loads of potential uses and great to see all of the addons on Thingiverse.

Just starting on a initial 300mm x 300mm build myself in Essex UK.

Starting to collect and print parts.   Am printing on a PRUSA MK3 with 0.6mm Nozzle, 0.4mm layer height,2 shells and 50% Gyroid infill – not sure if I am going to regret using such a large layer height but hopefully using 0.6mm widths will make the parts strong.

Initially printed a few parts from the 25mm version, and bought a single  Screwfix 25mm conduit which seems to cut quite well with the toolstation pipe cutter recommended.  Unfortunately the measured diameter of the tubing is closer to 24.5mm – so only fits quite loosely.  Also having trouble with M4 Nylocs spinning in the housings.

Will try a different Screwfix today to see if theirs are also 24.5mm.

In the meantime I have reworked a few of the parts using Tinkercad – modifying the 23.5 version to be 24.5 by cutting out 1mm extra, plus also modifying the #6 nut traps to more closely fit M4 nylocs by adding an extra 1mm.  Initial prints seem to work ok  – but not sure how easy it is going to be to modify the more complicated parts – am going to try to C Roller next.

Have compared the 23.5 and 25 versions to see the differences – and will try creating a hybrid of the two to get the correct placement of the bearing holes.

If the roller works out ok will probably continue modifying one of each part of 24.5/M6 as I am printing them,  otherwise will have to find a more expensive source for proper 25 or 25.4mm tubing.

Already have 5 NEMA 17’s that I ordered last year when I was planning to build a 3d printer, plus a 2560 Arduino + Stepper driver board – will try these first – but may get a RAMBO board if that ends up being easier.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Great project – with loads of potential uses and great to see all of the addons on Thingiverse.

Hi Dave

Welcome. Personally feel 300×300 may be alittle small, but clearly just depends on your intended uses and not that difficult to make larger at a later stage. As for your 0.4 layer height, that all depends on your layer bonding. I did mine at 0.2mm layers as my 3D printer makes little difference in quality between that and 0.1 and the 50% saving in time helped…….

Please be be careful with some of the items availiable on Thingiverse as they can be alittle off when it comes to precision. I always measure the items and again this delends in your printers calibration.

I substituted M4 nuts n bolts for the m3.5 and had to do noting for them to fit snuggly.

where abouts in Essex are you? I’m in Cambridge. If you require any assistance, let me know……

I recently did some calibration measurements on my MPCNC and it was spot on with Ryan’s Firmware installed…….. And I mean superb. 100mm X axis was 100mm and similarly for Y & Z…..

Keep on trucking with your CNC

regards

DaveW
    Participant

Hi Dave

Welcome. Personally feel 300×300 may be alittle small, but clearly just depends on your intended uses and not that difficult to make larger at a later stage. As for your 0.4 layer height, that all depends on your layer bonding. I did mine at 0.2mm layers as my 3D printer makes little difference in quality between that and 0.1 and the 50% saving in time helped…….

Please be be careful with some of the items availiable on Thingiverse as they can be alittle off when it comes to precision. I always measure the items and again this delends in your printers calibration.

I substituted M4 nuts n bolts for the m3.5 and had to do noting for them to fit snuggly.

where abouts in Essex are you? I’m in Cambridge. If you require any assistance, let me know……

I recently did some calibration measurements on my MPCNC and it was spot on with Ryan’s Firmware installed…….. And I mean superb. 100mm X axis was 100mm and similarly for Y & Z…..

Keep on trucking with your CNC

regards

Thanks – yes appreciate 300x300mm may be a bit small – but thought it would be easier to handle indoors and refine at that size – before eventually remaking or resizing to a bigger size if needed.

Not sure how well the 0.4mm layer height will work – but that in combination with the 0.6mm nozzle does seem to reduce print times to about 50% of the stated time on the parts list.   Will reprint any parts that break at lower heights.

Thanks for the offer of assistance – I am near Chelmsford – so only about 40 mins away if I need to call for help in a few weeks!

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 248 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.