Any UK MPCNC owners?

This topic contains 247 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  S Sauntson 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 248 total)
  • Author

S Sauntson
    Participant

Excellent,

Thank you Ryan….

S Sauntson
    Participant

Evening Gentlemen

Well Interesting day. I attached all belts and tightened according to the instructions.The X axis moves to its full extent without issue. While testing the Y axis it is very temperamental. moves to its full extent and then moving the other way stops and judders. No reason to when or where it stops.

anyway, thinking it was stalling, I increased the Voltage for that stepper driver from 0.7v – 0.8 and then 0.85v. This didn’t change anything and it still “stalled”

So I decided to swap X – Y and vice versa. This is where it got interesting. both axis then responded without issue…..

mmmmmmmmmm Interesting. so I swapped them again and did some more testing.

Eventually I found the issue. After much head scratching and testing.

The stepper motor wires are terminated with these connections

IMG_3765-4

The Control Board connectors are for these,

IMG_3766-2

Replacing the black connector for a white one cured the problem and so it must have been making and intermittent connection.

They say these things are sent to try us…

Regards

Bill
    Participant

The black connector in and of itself isn’t a problem, those DuPont style connectors are correct for 0.100″ spacing headers. Likely the crimps were bad…

S Sauntson
    Participant

Evening Gentlemen

Thank you Bill, you could very well be correct as I changed one today for new connector and crimps and it does full movements without issue. I’m sure once ive changed the other two, it will LIVE!……..

Still waiting for the coupler.

Having a test print at a drag chain but most probably will just buy two or three 1 meter lengths.

regards

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The black connector in and of itself isn’t a problem, those DuPont style connectors are correct for 0.100″ spacing headers. Likely the crimps were bad…

I’ve had bad luck mixing the dupont and jst-whatever connectors. I have a feeling it’s actually the size of the pins that is different. Or maybe the length. I’ve especially had trouble with a jst pin on a board and dupont socket ona cable. I had enough trouble that I bought a whole JST setup. YMMV.

Andy
    Participant

getting there faster than me then. I’ve just started re inspecting all my pla parts. All the blue parts originally printed on my Anet A8 before auto leveling or an E3D clone hot end and bowden style extruder setup, well they are weak as shit and are all cracking. So i am slowly reprinting them all in white PLA. My printer is set to fine and is doing a great job day and night. should be ready to get to where you are at for this weekend and the wife has promised me a project day by taking our kids to my folks house for a few hours. 🙂

anyway i hope to avoid your wire issues with direct solder to cat5 breakout boards but that might introduce its own funnies. Keep going pal you are definitely getting somewhere, probably there.

1 user thanked author for this post.

S Sauntson
    Participant

jeffeb3

Totally agree with you, i also feel the mix of connectors is causing my issue. As stated before, having changed one connector the issue as gone on the Z-axis.

Andy

Im so sorry you have hit this frustrating problem. I have hit a roadblock as postie did not deliver anything today, so I’m waiting, waiting, waiting.

hopefully the last part and replacement connector will arrive tomorrow and then I short push to having it completed

regards

Bill
    Participant

I’ve had bad luck mixing the dupont and jst-whatever connectors. I have a feeling it’s actually the size of the pins that is different. Or maybe the length. I’ve especially had trouble with a jst pin on a board and dupont socket on a cable. I had enough trouble that I bought a whole JST setup. YMMV.

Specs are 0.65mm pins with 2.54mm spacing on the DuPoint, 0.64mm pins with 2.50mm spacing on the JST-XH (rated at 3A). There are smaller JST sizes with 2.0mm or less spacing on them. I don’t know about the Rambo models, but the RAMPS models all seem to use the DuPont style headers.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Evening Gentlemen

Thank you for your Advice, these are the connectors in my Controller Board

image-2

I think they are a compatible with JST-XH connectors like these pictured below

image-1-128x72

Regards

S Sauntson
    Participant

Afternoon Gentlemen

Today the replacement terminals and housings arrived. First I removed the useless Dupont Terminal

IMG_3769-3

Not a very difficult task, Then a task I quite enjoy. Attaching the new terminals with the correct tool

IMG_3770-3

Finally after installing the housings and attaching them to the control board

IMG_3771-3

I connected the USB, powered up the 12v Power box and gave the X,Y & Z axis’s a full movement test. Very happy to report that all axis now moved to their extremities without the previous issue as described above.

I am getting so close to a first cut.  🙂

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Then a task I quite enjoy. Attaching the new terminals with the correct tool

I don’t think I’ve ever had the correct tool for these or the dupont. Sounds nice. :). I have the amazon specials in the $20-$40 range and they work OK but sometimes need a little editing with the pliers afterward.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Evening Gentlemen

I am finally ready to do a test drawing. I have this evening printed the Sharpie Pen Holder and attached it to the tool mount. I have mounted some calibration lines on my tubes and line them up with the rollers before activating the system. this then locks them in place. I have done a few different pen strokes. 50mm, 150mm, 10mm etc and then measured them. Very impressed with the accuracy.

Tomorrow I plan on trying a pen drawing of the Crown, However I am having difficulty in finding the .dxf file. Ive found the page that links to it as a vectorfile but it doesn’t seem to exist.

Anybody have the said file or know of its were abouts?

regards A very happy MPCNC owner

Cheers again Ryan

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh no, it’s gone. Hmmm I will look for another site, you just want vector art, plenty of it around.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Afternoon Gents and fellow MPCNC Makers / Owners

I have just one thing to say in my best Dr Frankenstein voice………

” IT’s ALIVE”

I have just been tinkering around with looking into the settings and then went for it.

Here is the result of my first full page test……..

I once again wish to express my sincere gratitude to firstly Ryan for releasing this tremendous project and then to all who took the time to read my rantings & drivel and who then responded with some incredibly useful information and advice.

Sincere regards

Stuart

Ryan
    Keymaster

Your welcome.

You accelerations or speed or something is a little wacky. You might want to compare it to my marlin or something but that seems off, unless you are just using a really high speed.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Hi Ryan

I set the speed for the tool quite high, something like 200cm / min LOL

When I go for a Mill bit ill have it set far far far slower, 10-15cm / min ish! I just didn’t want to sit there for 15-20 minutes… Good observations though on your part

regards

Andy
    Participant

Cool, didn’t get my mpcnc finished this weekend. My day off got revoked by the wife. did managed to build up my spot welder though so might test that this evening.

Congrats on the first print/penplot.

Mike
    Participant

Oh no, it’s gone. Hmmm I will look for another site, you just want vector art, plenty of it around.

Can’t very well have people cutting/drawing random stuff for their first moves, now can we? The crown has been a rite of passage for a lot of us here.

Used the wayback machine and pulled this up for future use. Crown file attached…

Attachments:
    1. 0102.zip

S Sauntson
    Participant

?????????????

I totally Agree Mike, which was the reason I was attempting to find the “Crown”

I shall now ignore my test moves and top off the build with the correct procedure

Kindest regards

Ryan
    Keymaster

Added the file, thanks!

S Sauntson
    Participant

Evening gentlemen,

After more testing and software learning, I’ve come to the conclusion that it would make it far easier to set the position of the Z axis if I were to use a touch plate.

am I correct in thinking it is just a matter of using a thin metalic plate, attached to the earth and connecting the other wires to the endstop of “z” ?

As you all know, I have a mental block with wiring diagrams, so does anyone have the specific wiring diagram I could follow?

I’ve watched many YouTube videos and it looks fairly simples. Famous last words. Anything needed to be done to Marlin?

regards

Martin
    Participant

Hi S Saunton – I’ve been following your build as I’m also in the UK (not far from you, near Newbury) and will be putting together an MPCNC soon.

I’ve recently finished the printed parts and was planning on buying the electronics/other hardware from Ryan’s store to support the project but I think the combination of shipping and import tax on this would push it out of my budget unfortunately.

I was hoping you might have a list of the website links where you sourced your components from – especially the control board and M3.5 screws/nylock nuts (which seem to be pretty non-standard in the UK and very expensive!). This would really help me out as my own searches resulted in a much larger total cost than what yours came to!

Thanks

Bill
    Participant

Am I correct in thinking it is just a matter of using a thin metallic plate, attached to the earth and connecting the other wires to the endstop of “z” ?

Sort of, but not really. Your touch plate wire connects to one side of the Z minimum endstop and the other side of the Z minimum endstop connects to an alligator clip you connect to the bit on your spindle (note that you use the S and – pins on the endstop in any order, leave the + pin disconnected). When the bit touches your plate it makes a circuit, when the bit leaves the plate the circuit disconnects. Most of the time your ‘thin metallic plate’ is just a piece of aluminum foil with the wire soldered or screwed on.

S Sauntson
    Participant

I was hoping you might have a list of the website links where you sourced your components from – especially the control board and M3.5 screws/nylock nuts. This would really help me out as my own searches resulted in a much larger total cost than what yours came to!

Thanks

Hi Martin

you are by right in most of your findings, m3.5 are excessively costly in the UK high is why I substituted them for M4 instead. There was not adjustments and they fitted perfectly.

As for the other items, I sourced mine or the majority of the electronics from China and HongKong off eBay. P&P Free. I would gladly help you. I would add that I started the build on the 7th July and finished a Calander month later. All the items arrived in very close order and didn’t delay my build as I had other things to do in the meantime. If you would like to chat, message me a number and I’ll gladly call.

regards

Martin
    Participant

Thanks S Saunton – I may take you up on that offer when I get round to ordering the parts. Also very useful to know that the M4s are a suitable replacement.

Also, in case Ryan is reading – I stumbled upon someone selling printed parts on an eBay UK store which (unless I’m mistaken) is against your non-commercial license. It’s not a listing for a one-off spare parts sale. Link below in case you wanted to follow up:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPCNC-3D-Printed-Parts-no-hardware-included-CNC-Mostly-printed-CNC/202370208737?hash=item2f1e3453e1:g:CwMAAOSwcXBbSyYA

S Sauntson
    Participant

Hi Martin / Ryan

Spooky, yesterday I came across the eBay Seller of the MPCNC parts. I am certain if Ryan was to contact eBay that the listing would be removed and sanctions applied.

I have now worked out the TouchPlate wiring and will make and attach it this evening.

I shall also start printing an Emergency STOP Button enclosure. Still waiting for drag chains from china…….and a bundle of bits.

Only  a few finishing touches to do.

I’m getting quite good at drawing.

regards

Ryan
    Keymaster

Spooky, yesterday I came across the eBay Seller of the MPCNC parts. I am certain if Ryan was to contact eBay that the listing would be removed and sanctions applied.

What?! I would love a link please.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thank you.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Wow, so far there reply’s make it seem as if this is going to be a long day dealing with Ebay’s fraud department. Ughhhhhhh, why.

Sweet, they have come around.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 248 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.