Any UK MPCNC owners?

This topic contains 239 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Derek Whittaker 2 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 240 total)
  • Author

S Sauntson
    Participant

Evening gentlemen

Following my successful few days, I now have started printing the Controllerboard Enclosure. With further tasks in mind. Does anyone know how to connect a Nextion 3.2TFT to a ramps 1.4???

I also am about to start installing the power connectors and so need to explore even more wiring.

image-28
    This is the main power connector and will be wiring to include an emergency power cut device

I think that’s all for today. Great progress and should be soon ready to install the firmware, more reading

regards

Ryan
    Keymaster

Nice, clean, steady progress!

1 user thanked author for this post.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Nice, clean, steady progress!

Thank You Kind Sir

Amilo
    Participant

Just finishing building my table.

The only thing that concerns me is the wiring in series of the steppers,I just cant get my head around it.

I have uploaded the software and tested the steppers in Repetier and they all work ok- now for the bomb disposal wire cutting,I admit I am lost,any help appreciated.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Hi Amilo

just follow this diagram later on in this thread.. It’s important to ignore any colour but follow the diagram for connections wire pathways only

The attached diagram is correct but you MUST ignore any wire colours and use it only for wiring part ways. If wiring really causes you an issue get the wires from the shop and save yourself a lot of time and frustrations.

regards image-30

Attachments:

Bill
    Participant

Hi Amilo

just follow this diagram

It really as simple as that, I’ll try and guide you the best i can, can we talk on the phone. Would be so easy

Just remember that the wire colors are arbitrary. Use the pinout in the diagram and mark your actual colors on it.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Afternoon Gentlemen
    I have just attempted to upload the firmware and although it sucesfully uploaded it gave me this

image-29

You will see some text in the bottom box, is it an error or not?
    Could someone check this and advise accordingly

regards

Attachments:

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Those are warnings. If the warnings are in your code, you should understand them (they usually are pretty important). Since these are in U8glib, there’s nothing you can do about them.

TL;DR, it’s fine.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Those are warnings. If the warnings are in your code, you should understand them (they usually are pretty important). Since these are in U8glib, there’s nothing you can do about then.

TL;DR, it’s fine.

TL;DR, it’s fine? I’m lost with this reply

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Sorry, there were a few typos. At far as the warnings, it’s fine to ignore them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TL;DR

dkj4linux
    Participant

Maybe a senior moment… I think one motor needs to have one winding crossed-over from the other to reverse its direction of rotation. Per the diagram shown both will rotate in the same direction…

S Sauntson
    Participant

Maybe a senior moment… I think one motor needs to have one winding crossed-over from the other to reverse its direction of rotation. Per the diagram shown both will rotate in the same direction…

You are quite correct and I have adjusted information accordingly.

As stated several times, any diagram is for wire pathways only and any colour scheme must be ignored

regards

dkj4linux
    Participant

Like this…

S Sauntson
    Participant

Deleted as information wrong

regards

S Sauntson
    Participant

Evening

Post deleted to prevent confusion,

REMEBER any wiring diagrams MUST be used for wire pathways ONLY and ignore any colour scheme

regards

Ryan
    Keymaster

Look at the two diagrams that are already here. One coil needs to be reversed. The pretty diagram has them all the same way, the hand drawn one has one coil reversed marked “the rev”.

So in the pretty picture if you changed one green and black connection that would do it.

The hand drawn one is just split coil 1 is the blue and red in the pretty picture, black and green is equivalent to coil 2.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Post removed to save confusion.

Regards

S Sauntson
    Participant

I have now to the best of my ability done a drawing from the information given,

I have checked through several times and hope this is right and helps someone

image-9-1

I have just altered my wiring and tested and it is now correct YAY!

DO NOT TREAT COLOURS AS GOSPLE, IT IS CONNECTIONS ONLY

regards

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry that you are so frustrated. The hand drawn one is my diagram and has never really caused many issues before and after all this time no other better diagrams have popped up. I offer the wires for sale, I have them custom made. If you are that frustrated spend the $10, problem solved. I have spent many hours trying to make it as easy as possible for everyone, if you come up with a better diagram that does not include colors I would love to include it on the site.

Your message comes across super aggravated. The fix is super simple, you swap two connections. If you do not understand what two please show us your wires and we can help you. Diagrams do not work because of the color issue, as you can see I didn’t catch the issue in the other thread you asked about this in, so show us your wires and we can try and help.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Your revised diagram looks correct, but because many just blindly follow the colors I can not use it. There 100% is no standard color scheme for the steppers that is followed.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Hi Ryan

A million apologies about my frustrations. Electronics is not my strongest point and so takes my feeble brain some understanding. Please don’t think I was in anyway accusing, I was just super frustrated after spending so many hours of work, making it as neat as possible

regards

Ryan
    Keymaster

Understood, we are all just trying to help you get cutting.

dkj4linux
    Participant

I really apologize for all the angst and confusion but, as we’ve all seen, it would not work for MPCNC, as originally shown. Ryan is entirely correct about there being no color standardization, so trying to instruct other builders to connect wires according to color is useless. While the difference between right and wrong in this case is just a couple of connections, it is confusing enough that I second Ryan’s suggestion to purchase the wiring harness and be done with it. Though a retired electrical engineer and knowledgeable of what needed to be done, I found it confusing enough in my “elder condition” to simply buy the wiring harness for my Texas rebuild… and it worked perfectly, first time.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Amilo
    Participant

Thanks everyone.

wired x and y steppers in series and tested.

It works fine..

3 users thanked author for this post.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Evening Gentlemen

I now have an X, Y & Z axis moving as should. All have been tested YAY!

if only Postie had delivered the 5mm – 8mm coupler and stepper 16T gears, I would have finished. Anyway, This hopefully short delay will give me time to learn how to do some test cuts.

I already have my first DXF file which I will be cutting, but to begin with I’ll do something simples…….

Regards and Respect Gents

Andy
    Participant

Hey Sauntson, Glad you got your wiring sorted. I’m going to go the route of auto squaring and use cat 5e/6 wiring so I’m going to have fun and games too but different fun and different games when I get started.

Anyway I got jealous of the quality of your prints and my old blue PLA prints cracked as they were printed two fast and two jerky. My corners cracked when I tightened them and my z mounts broke as I had the wrong coupler which was causing the threaded rod to be spun eccentrically like an egg beater, which massively stressed the whole gantry when turning the motor.

Anyway I got frustrated with the quality of my prints this weekend as they have been getting worse and worse. I thought it was because I switched to PETG for a friend project but when I switched back to PLA I was still having issues. Then I refocused on the spool dry box £5 from Asda. I realised it is quite a big source of friction on the spool so I cut up an old chopping board and drill some 8mm holes in the right places to attach bolts and bearings I had spare from the MPCNC build. I now have one of the spool rollers that you can print but I didn’t have a working printer so I made it quicker and dirtier by hand. I also turned my Cura slicing settings down to fine. 0.1mm layer height.

all this seems to be paying off. last night I set off a print for the z top motor mount and I found it this morning perfectly formed on the build plate. I always check the print starts well and then I leave it in a detached building to complete over night (no one put at risk)

Anyway thanks to this thread I’m back on my game in the 3d printing world. soon ill be cutting too at this rate.

looking forward to seeing your first cuts.

S Sauntson
    Participant

Hi Andy

Thank you for the comments about my printing. I’m sorry I seem to have caused you some frustration by my print quality.

From my experience of all things 3D Printing, my only comment would be 0.1mm resolution is not always the best result, I did many tests and the quality of 0.2mm was better and naturally quicker than 0.1. I used to print everything in 0.1 thinking the parts would look better………

I shall wait with interest re: auto squaring. I read about that but thought slow and steady. I may upgrade later if I need such an action.

I also have my “working spools inside a box with some silica gel beads and reduced all friction by carefully lining up the Filement mid height on the spool and also using a guide tube made of PTFE to the printer. This reduced friction to almost zero. Inside my dry box I have a fool mount which rotates very freely. In the beginning I read so much about filament absorbing moisture etc.

If you’d like to all over 3D printing let me have your contact details

regards

S Sauntson
    Participant

Afternoon Gentlemen

Today postie delivered my penultimate item for my MPCNC, these being the 16t gears

image-32

I now have one more item to receive. That’s the coupler. I guess I could print one but having these delays seems to help as I get time without rushing.

Today I plan on installing those tears, checking / adjusting the stepper driver voltage and again researching how to actually run the software for a CNC….. I see many attach a pen first time and Draw Ryan’s Crown…….

I have downloaded his file and think this could be a good start. Saves me having a massive mistake and routering gouges into the build board.

any advice greatfully received

regard

Attachments:

S Sauntson
    Participant

Hi Gents

Just checking. My stepper drivers DVR8825 are set @ 1.67v, Is a little excessive.

These are my motors details

Electrical Specification

• Manufacturer Part Number: 17HS19-2004S1
    • Motor Type: Bipolar Stepper
    • Step Angle: 1.8 deg
    • Holding Torque: 59Ncm(84oz.in)
    • Rated Current/phase: 2.0A
    • Voltage: 2.8V
    • Phase Resistance: 1.4ohms
    • Inductance: 3.0mH ± 20%(1KHz)

I see from reading of many threads on this site that the Voltage is a direct lick to the rated current / Phase of the motor. From my understanding Using drivers DVR8825 the calculation I found of  V x A divided by 2

12v x 2Amps =24watts

24watts / 12volts = 2A

Therefore

Vref = I_TripMax * 8 * Rs

Vref = 2 * 8 * 0.1 = 1.6V

Am I correct in thinking I should set it to 1.6v on a 12v system or lower, much lower?

Ryan
    Keymaster

0.7V is good. 1V is really pushing it and needs lots of cooling.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 240 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.