And the hits just keep on coming

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC And the hits just keep on coming

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  David Walling 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

David Walling
    Participant

I got the MPCNC put back together from upgrading to the Burly XYZ parts.

I was running some test cuts. Nothing too extravagant, just cutting a rectangle perimeter using a 1/8″ single flute at .2″ DOC and 2ipm. Everything seemed to be going OK. There was minor chatter, but only in one direction on the rectangle, so I chalked it up to something still a tad loose… Then suddenly the bit stopped spinning and that unmistakable smell of ‘poof’ started floating up from the machine.

Looks like my 500W spindle bit the dust 🙁 There was smoke coming out of the top of the cooling fan.

I’ll probably go back to the dewalt spindle. I’ll need to find the locking key for changing bits as I don’t know what I did with mine during the move.

This is starting to suck.

Ryan
    Keymaster

If you get a chance take it apart and see what happened, I am interested to know if the bearings are that bad or if it was something else.

This is starting to suck.

No no no, chin up. You have the burly version, it should be a ripper now. The numbers you gave seem extremely conservative for wood/burly.

David Walling
    Participant

I have never been able to hit the speeds everyone else has with my machine.

Tim
    Participant

I have never been able to hit the speeds everyone else has with my machine.

2 inches per minute? was that supposed to say 20?

David Walling
    Participant

Currently? No. That’s not a typo.

The best I saw with the 500w spindle was 5ipm with a 1/4″ end mill.

We’ll see what I get when I switch back to the Dewalt.

Tim
    Participant

Currently? No. That’s not a typo.

The best I saw with the 500w spindle was 5ipm with a 1/4″ end mill.

We’ll see what I get when I switch back to the Dewalt.

cutting at 2ipm and .2″ DOC was probably generating a ton of heat, i’m surprised it wasn’t burnishing the material at that slow of a speed. could have contributed to the early death of your spindle…

David Walling
    Participant

I had the spindle RPMs down to produce chips. I could speed up the RPMs, but then I was getting flex in the machine at the higher ipm.

David Walling
    Participant

We’re up and running again.

I have the Dewalt back on it. I ran a test cut.

. 2 in DOC at 15ipm. I’m going to try increasing the DOC and lowering the feed later today.

I’m still getting a little flex in the gantry when going in the direction that is away from the spindle.

The Dewalt is loud, but with the shop, it’s less of an issue.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  David Walling.
    Attachments:

David Walling
    Participant

Are my rounded corners because my z is too long? I can raise my bed.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Take that giant vacuum thing off.

1 user thanked author for this post.

David Walling
    Participant

I took a video of my issue. I can wiggle the gantry like this whether there’s a vac attached or not.

Barry
    Participant

Are your tubes still round?

David Walling
    Participant

I rotated them when I rebuilt the machine. Is it possible I just don’t have an adjustment bolt the right tightness? Which bolt locks in the gantry more?

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is not good. It is also kinda tough to solve. Like Barry is hinting at you can rotate the tubes to find a tighter fit if they are a bit oval, I would normally say take the gantry apart swap parts and rebuild it keeping a close eye for that issue to happen. It can be the Z axis, check to see the tubes are equidistant top and bottom. Sometimes looser bolts makes it fit tighter, as in you can pull it out of  place if you are not careful.

David Walling
    Participant

Hot diggy! I think I found it!

Taking a look at it, I could see that two of the wheel bearings weren’t even touching the X-axis pipe. I started looking around the machine and discovered that two of the bolts were so loose the nuts weren’t even touching the part. I snugged those up and the wheel bearings are now touching.

If I lift up on the Z axis, there’s a slight ‘give’, but there’s no more wobble. I do see where there’s anything loose, so I’m chalking this give up to the threaded rod I’m using instead of a lead screw.

While I can understand that the Vac attachment might have some play on it, I have the hose completely suspended so none of the weight is on the machine itself. I’d rather give some accuracy for having the dust sucked up. I knew that the play I had was way too much for what the machine should have, though.

I’m about to run some test cuts. Wish me luck.

Barry
    Participant

My vac hose hangs too, but I made the tube off the dust shoe stop about halfway up the spindle.  Less of a lever that way.

David Walling
    Participant

Good idea. I can shorten the PVC pipe. My last shop vac hookup had a shorter pvc pipe. This one is something someone else designed.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.