American Flag Build

New Home Forum Things You Have Made American Flag Build

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Cap 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Cap
    Participant

Started working on an American Flag project.  Finished the part that requires the CNC tonight.  The Stars came out great.  Will post a final pic once its done but for now here are the Stars.

‘Merica

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Looks great, repetitive precision cuts are the CNC’s forte! Can’t wait to see the final project.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Cap

Cap
    Participant

Here is the final product, very happy with how it came out.

On the wall

Next to my MPCNC

Couple details for those that might be interested.

Inkscape – used it to find the ‘right’ star and turn 50 of them into a DXF file

Estlcam settings – Hole, 1/8″ deep, 1/16″ bit, speed 12mms

Project material – leftover 1/2″ Red Oak from a panel wall project.  Used a Vinegar/Steel Wool mixture to ‘weather’ the darker boards and left the other boards their natural color.

“What are you going to build with a CNC?”, she said (my wife).

“Whatever I want”, I said.

A lot of fun so far figuring this thing out – great community on this Forum which really helps.

Have a good one!

Ryan
    Keymaster

DUDE! So nice, Super clean joints between all the pieces you have some prior experience…. So nice thank you for sharing.

Cap

Mike
    Participant

“What are you going to build with a CNC?”, she said (my wife). “Whatever I want”, I said.

I think most of us have had that conversation. Good looking project!

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    “What are you going to build with a CNC?”, she said (my wife). “Whatever I want”, I said.

I think most of us have had that conversation. Good looking project!

A 3D printer? Then a bigger CNC machine? Then a new version of the printer? And a sand machine…

Cap
    Participant

MPCNC – the gateway tool…!  Its an awesome platform.

George Kriete
    Participant

Really Cool !

Cap

Neil
    Participant

Too damn cool man! I really like it! Keep em coming!

Neil

Cap
    Participant

Still having fun making flags, I’m on number five, same settings as above.  This one is a gift for a friend.  Smaller than the last one and comes on a stand not wall mounted.  Scrap wood – now I can justify keeping it around!!  ‘Merica

mulze32
    Participant

Those are awesome! Question for you, are they glued onto a backing? Or just glued and clamped together? And then did you run them through a planer to surface?

Johnny
    Participant

Man Cap those look good. I have got to get back out in the shop and attempt to make one myself.

Cap

Cap
    Participant

mulze – I edge glued them together and ‘clamped’ them with blue painters tape.  The pieces were pretty square when I glued them so that was enough.  I let it sit for a solid 24hrs for the glue to set before I messed with it and it came out pretty strong.  For the backing I used black felt and spray adhesive and trimmed it down to size.  No surface planer once it was finished, I left it a little rough on purpose and the planer would’ve removed the weathering that I applied. I was inspired by Heritage Flag which makes some really cool flags out of old bourbon barrels that have a very rustic look.

Pics below of the glue up that I’m talking about.  This one is a Betsy Ross version with 13 stars that I’m working on now.

Have a good one

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.

mulze32
    Participant

Thanks very much! Those Heritage Flag ones are awesome. Great work. I look forward to seeing more projects from you. You definitely have a nice little business going with these.

Cap

Cap
    Participant

Betsy Ross Flag finished

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.

Omri
    Participant

looks great !

Cap

Cap
    Participant

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July.  In light of the holiday here is a flag that I made for a buddy earlier this week from some old barnwood that he had laying around.

Have a good one !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.