Aluminium/SS Flat Plates

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Aluminium/SS Flat Plates

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I’m currently speccing up for a LR2 and have a CR10S ready to print the printed parts, however I have a bit of a dilemma with the flat plates, which I’m sure has very likely been asked before but I cant find a topic/answer anywhere.

Is anyone using aluminium or stainless steel for their flat plates? And if so, what thickness material was used?

I have a local company I use at work for various laser cutting applications, they are reasonable pricing-wise and I’m more inclined to opt for Alu/SS plates for rigidity sake. I’m also in the UK so shipping/availability of MDF versions is an issue.

If anyone has experience please share it would really help me out here.

Barry
    Participant

I think we found out that half inch mdf is about the same stiffness as quarter inch aluminum.  So minimum quarter inch aluminum.  Steel would be alright for the Y parts, but might be too heavy for the router plate.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m more inclined to opt for Alu/SS plates for rigidity sake.

I don’t think the rigidity is a problem on these parts. Use metal if you like, but if you can find a wood solution, it will work great. These parts aren’t flexing at all.

Matt
    Participant

I’m more inclined to opt for Alu/SS plates for rigidity sake.

I don’t think the rigidity is a problem on these parts. Use metal if you like, but if you can find a wood solution, it will work great. These parts aren’t flexing at all.

I realised after I had posted that its pretty clear that the MDF thickness will have been calculated to not allow any flex, so I was being a bit daft there really. In reality I just like things done in metal (used to it at work I suppose).

I can get ali cut to 6mm, steels can be done thicker. I’ll see what comes back price-wise from the quote and report back, if I can get a decent batch deal I may open them up to supply the plates over here (UK/EU) for anyone wanting metal plates and struggling to find a solution.

Otherwise I’ll just cut the plates from MDF and try be as careful as possible to get them dimensionally correct.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I realised after I had posted that its pretty clear that the MDF thickness will have been calculated to not allow any flex, so I was being a bit daft there really. In reality I just like things done in metal (used to it at work I suppose).

NP. I just like to clarify these things to someone reading this doesn’t think, “I want rigid, I need metal!”. It will still happen, but this makes me feel better :).

Otherwise I’ll just cut the plates from MDF and try be as careful as possible to get them dimensionally correct.

Your first set only needs to be close enough to cut a second set.

Ryan
    Keymaster

if I can get a decent batch deal I may open them up to supply the plates over here (UK/EU) for anyone wanting metal plates and struggling to find a solution.

Please email me before you pursue this, the parts are released under a international non-commercial license. I currently have a flat parts licensed distributor, if you are interested in doing it on the side of the globe email me so we can work something out.

Matt
    Participant

if I can get a decent batch deal I may open them up to supply the plates over here (UK/EU) for anyone wanting metal plates and struggling to find a solution.

Please email me before you pursue this, the parts are released under a international non-commercial license. I currently have a flat parts licensed distributor, if you are interested in doing it on the side of the globe email me so we can work something out.

No problem Ryan, I had noticed that Dan’s parts were sold under license so naturally we would need a conversation about this between us (and maybe Dan too – I don’t want to be stepping on anyone’s toes). This is a fantastic project and as far as I can see the only price ‘barriers’ left are carriage and import duties to builders in the UK/EU.

I’ll be in touch should anything look to potentially materialise.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.