advice on cutting larger panels / bigger projects

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider advice on cutting larger panels / bigger projects

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  JJWHarris 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Joseph Reilly
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the lowrider but am very closer to ordering the parts and start building. My one question is, what are peoples experiences with cutting out larger panels for furniture / kitchen cabinets? Also has anyone built any opendesk designs with the low rider? –¬†https://www.opendesk.cc/designs ?

I’m not so much concerned with the time the machine takes to cut – that’s not a problem, It would just be good to know how accurate it would be for larger pieces.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Accuracy in the X Y plane are easy and should be very solid. Z depends on a lot of things. Through cuts are super easy but getting a consistent pocket across 8′ depends on your table and your material.

Jason Collins
    Participant

I report back on Monday.  I have several large cuts to do over the weekend.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Just make sure it is square, the rest should be easy. If you are doing through cuts I typically cut on foam so I can over cut by a few mm and not worry about it.

JJWHarris
    Participant

One of the first things I cut with the LR was an open source bed. It went fairly well, I was a bit over ambitious with speeds and DOC, which caused some problems and resets.

Also make sure your timber is exactly as specified, the bed was supposed to be 18mm, I bought 18mm ply that turned out to be 16-17mm and tried to trick the post processor into making it work by increasing the bit size, the test piece worked great but it was a mongrel to get the bed together.

I’m interested to see how level your table is, I also use a pingpong table, but it was a cheap one and it’s a bit up and down..

These days I run at around 600mm/m and 6.5mm (6.35mm single flute..), I get the feeling I could probably increase this with a better router/speed control + a flatter bed but it really struggles going through the first pass as it can be cutting from 3-10mm DOC because the bed is that out of whack. Probably the most important element is going to be your finishing pass so everything is accurate.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.