Add leg length for replaceable wasteboard?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Add leg length for replaceable wasteboard?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Shane Sick
    Participant

Hello everyone.

I am getting ready to start my build. Going for 24in x 24in with 4in Z axis.

I plan to have a 3/4in mdf easily replaceable  waste board on top of the table the MPCNC is on. But don’t really want to lose 3/4in of my usable Z height. Would simply adding 3/4 to the leg lengths have any down sides?

Ryan
    Keymaster

4in Z axis.

3″ is significantly more rigid and more than enough for any endmill I have ever seen that fits this machine.

Would simply adding 3/4 to the leg lengths have any down sides?

Yes. Have you seen the table form the instructions?

Shane Sick
    Participant

3″ is significantly more rigid and more than enough for any endmill I have ever seen that fits this machine.

I am not so much concerned with endmills fitting as I am with what material thicknesses I can use. Looking around these forums it seemed the often advised Z height was 3″- 4″. I will take your advice and stick with 3″

Yes. Have you seen the table form the instructions?

I have. But I am not building a table I am using one I already have. I figured extending the legs would be easier then adding on strips on mdf to raise it. Seems that was a bad idea and I will just add on mdf to raise it.

Thanks for the advise.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I am not so much concerned with endmills fitting as I am with what material thicknesses I can use.

I understand, that seems to be the reason most make tall machines. The table does not need to have a bottom, if that makes sense. Make a short machine and make the table accommodate the material you need. We have been calling it a drop table.

Shane Sick
    Participant

I understand, that seems to be the reason most make tall machines. The table does not need to have a bottom, if that makes sense. Make a short machine and make the table accommodate the material you need. We have been calling it a drop table.

Yah I saw some of those awesome drop table designs around here. As I said I have a table already that I am going to use (Mostly due to it taking up space with no other use for it) and will just stick with fairly short materials for awhile. I will probably make a drop table down the road as an upgrade.

Justin
    Participant

This is s very helpful topic that I was thinking about the other day while imagining my table.

So it seems like the top of the wasteboard needs to be at bottom of the feet? Is that what I’m gathering?

I was going to go 24”x24”x4” too, but will heed the advice also and make it a 3” Z height.

Ryan
    Keymaster

So it seems like the top of the wasteboard needs to be at bottom of the feet? Is that what I’m gathering?

Or less, some screws the bottoms into some sort of rails instead of using the locks legs and feet. The main point is less is better on everything, “a little extra” and “just in case” can really be a bummer for the daily stuff.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.