A predefined Cura profile to start from ?

New Home Forum Milled Printed 3D Printer -MP3DP Advice – MP3DP A predefined Cura profile to start from ?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jethro 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jethro
    Participant

My PC crushed yesterday, and I have to start from zero.

I was wondering if there is a good predefined printer profile I could use, like the Prusa I3 for example. Of course I have to adjust a couple of things.

Or is it possible to get to my previous settings from a g-code file I created, say last week?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

IIRC, slic3r puts the setting in comments at the top. Cura might too. Just open the gcode in a text editor like wordpad.

Ryan has some basic settings in his guides, linked from his mk8 extruder, I think. I don’t use cura.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Jethro
    Participant

Thanks @ Jeffeb3,

Didn’t find much on the Cura g-code file regarding settings.

Installed Cura, and it stopped twice just after doing the brim. Thought there’s something else wrong, so used a older g-code file which just printed fine. Not much of enthusiasm to find the error, I’m now a convert to slic3r. Easy enough with Ryans guide to get it running quickly, of course a bit of a learning curve, but I like what I see so far.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I should have mentioned. Prusa-slicer is based on slic3r and has a lot of newer features.

Aaryn
    Participant

I agree 100% with Jeffeb3.  If you are switching from Cura and you need to learn a new slicer program you might as well use the one with the most features and active development work.  They provide a number of tutorial videos to help learn the program and how to use it.  There is a very active forum for the in-depth questions.  Also it comes with a great library of presets for print settings and filament types.

https://www.prusa3d.com/prusaslicer/

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Aaryn.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Aaryn.
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Jethro
    Participant

Yep, I never got along too well with Cura, I never really could zoom into a object too close without it was moving out of the screen. That was a thing I really hated, might have been that I missed a setting, but it was the same with the MP3DP and the Ender3.

I have no idea why I came to Cura, I got my first printer in December 2018 (Ender 3), probably recommended by some guys on the Ender forums??? Well they had the Ender3 config ready to use, even a dumb like me could jump into 3D-printing with no knowledge.

I refused to update, but when the PC crushed, the new version 4.?? looked like something I never saw b4.

Just one thing to be sure, it looks to me that slic3r is not installed on your system, it looks much like a portable version to me. Is that normal? or did I something wrong?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.