A few things made

New Home Forum Things You Have Made A few things made

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Heath 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

RAGII
    Participant

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That is some great work. I really like that silent night inlay. Very good details.

Those mirrors have the back carved out, and then you added a light panel behind somehow?

mulze32
    Participant

Those are all awesome! Do you mind sharing some details on the mirrors especially?

RAGII
    Participant

Mirrors are engraved with a laser (https://www.v1engineering.com/the-2-8-watt-100-laser/) explained here (https://www.v1engineering.com/laser-engraving-mirrors/).  I used PicEngrave software to speed up the engraving.  The mirrors are 10″ x 10″ and it still took 4-1/2 to 5 hours to engrave each mirror.  I created a “shadow box” , used a router to create a grove, and put an adhesive LED strip in the top and bottom groove.  Lastly I paint a backer board white (I use a high gloss paint) to help reflect the color back to the mirror.

The LED strips are colored LED’s, I have experimented with painting the engraving and using a white LED’s, but I have liked the look of the colored LED’s for the ones in the photos better.

1 user thanked author for this post.

mulze32
    Participant

Cool! Thank you very much! I take it you are from Wisconsin then?

RAGII
    Participant

What gave it away?  😀

Heath
    Participant

Are you into drone racing too, or just made those for a client?

mulze32
    Participant

All of the snow and holiday themed cuttings. Sconnie resident here too. Keep up the great work!

RAGII
    Participant

Are you into drone racing too, or just made those for a client?

Just started to get into the racing this year.  Made the trophies for our local club, the lexan engraving was just for fun.

Jason
    Participant

Nice work this is the closest thing I have seen to what I have been doing for the last 3 years.

I use custom designed frames made from 4mm alpolic which is a aluminum plastic composite material. Basically the exact same process… LEDS strips bright white backing.

Also made some custom 3d printed bases for table top signs.

1 user thanked author for this post.

RAGII
    Participant

Jason,

Your posts were the inspiration for me getting a laser and trying this out.  Also, for investing in PicEngrave Pro software.  Next up I am going to try doing some photo engraving on the mirror.  Waiting until after the holidays when I will have some more time.

Heath
    Participant

I picked up some mirrors this weekend to play with and ran a test job last night. I set up 6 small squares of 30mm x 30mm with a single line outline and a filled rectangle (20mm x 15mm) inside the square, burned them at 100% power (with a 3.5w laser) at speeds of 10-, 30-, 50-, 60-, 80-, and 100 mm/s.

Results weren’t perfect, but encouraging. The back side of the mirror is a very dark gray material. The single line outline only burned all the way through and was visible from the front of the mirror at the 10mm/s speed, but the sold rectangles burned through at all speeds. The faster speeds left behind a “smokey” look (I guess leaving some of the gray material behind), and I could see clear ringing from the high speed, high acceleration, fast and short moves. The low speeds actually etched the glass. It has a very textured “frosted” type of look from the front and I can feel the deep pits and etching in the glass on the back. So more experimentation with power and speed is needed. I may just go ahead and do a full 10 x 10 grid. But I’m also thinking that if I want to make these, it may be more efficient to cut a mask out of vinyl and use the sandblaster.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.