A 33" x 33" Multi-Head Jack-of-Some-Trades

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC A 33" x 33" Multi-Head Jack-of-Some-Trades

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Smith Hayward
    Participant

Just wanted to setup a thread to catalog my build and thought process in case it helps anyone down the line. I am 100% green when it comes to CNC, but I have almost 4 years of 3D printing experience and I’m ready for the next chapter in my making-obsessed life.

NOTE: I’m getting married early April.  This build will not begin until we return from our honeymoon.  (Eh… well, maybe.)

I’ll lay out the high-level set of “requirements” that will define this build (I’m a Business Analyst by day):

1. Low Cost. I’m willing to put about $800-$1000 into the machine and associated tooling and table/enclosure. Spouse-APPROVED BUDGET! 🙂
    2. Moderately Precise. I’m not making spacecraft parts, but it’s nice when parts that interface actually fit together.
    3. Multi-Material / Multi-Tool. I build airplanes from foam board, boats from foam insulation and want to get into building things out of ply as well as relief carvings/decor that I can maybe sell to recoup some/most of the cost of the machine and fund future projects. Oh and cutting vinyl will be cool too (paint masks, etc.).
    4. Easy to Build. I’ve coded, but I’m not a coder, so with some YouTube and community assistance I can accomplish what I need to in Arduino, that is also at the top of my list of things to learn more about.
    5. 20″ x 30″ Minimum Working Area – this is the size of the foam board sheets I use for RC planes. (Will be using the needle cutter for that, and I’m SO excited!!!.)

Bonus Add-Ons For “Someday” (which probably means as soon as I get it working)

• 3D Printer Extruder.  I’m not building the machine tall, but there are often times that I print many small items. Given the larger area, I could possibly print sequentially limiting the amount of waste during a failure.  I also sometimes print large flat parts which would no longer need to be split and glued together.

There was some early interest in my design for the enclosure (ha, one person).  After it’s built I will consider creating some plans as long as I feel it met its intended benefits.  Here’s what I’m going for with that design (in parallel):

1. Mobile. I need to be able to shift it around the workshop depending on what projects I’m working on (so it’ll get wheels).
    2. Dust Limiting. Both keeping it within the enclosure, but also interfacing with a dust collection solution (TBD).
    3. Sound Dampening. I will likely use a combination of 1″ pink insulation foam and stacks of old towels to create the side panels.
    4. Visible from the workshop (windows)
    5. “Remote Monitoring” Removed – deemed dangerous.  Perhaps will be replaced by fire suppression system. (Thanks Bill!)
    6. Accessible. I need to be able to get to all/most of the parts of the frame/wiring without having to remove the enclosure from the table; this sucker is going to be heavy. I’m designing it so that the home corner of the enclosure is completely open (no vertical support) when the door is opened – I think this will be the biggest challenge other than lifting it into place.

And, finally until I actually order/print parts, here are a few of the renders I’ve posted on Facebook.

Smith

P.S. Admins can delete the thread I created that got flagged as spam.  I’ll try not to do that to this thread too.

Bill
    Participant

You likely will want to get rid of the “Remote Monitoring” bullet. You really, really want to be right there while it’s working. CNC Routers are really different than 3D Printers in terms of what happen when they fail, and how quickly it happens. Most 3D Printer failures don’t develop lots of smoke, much less flames and router failures are just the opposite. A common failure with a CNC router is to have the router drop down so the collet is against the workpiece, followed in seconds by pretty flames. Think of an ancient hunter sitting with a stick and bow trying to make a fire to cook food, except with the power of modern machinery behind it…

2 users thanked author for this post.

Smith Hayward
    Participant

Another attempt to post the pictures in low-res.  Reply #2 of the thread is hidden due to paranoid spam AI. 🙂

MPCNC_Enclosure_Closed_w_View_LR-1
    MPCNC_Done_Gantry_Homed_LR-1

Smith Hayward
    Participant

Design renders and “role playing” 🙂 has yielded a major redesign.  Based on where I plan to put the MPCNC, I need the doors to not open across with a double-folding door.  I also wanted to limit the amount of acrylic because it’s not as sound dampening.  This is what I’ve come up with so far.  Doors hinge at the corners and meet in the middle. Now I can open the “front” door independently from the side door.

To keep the doors rigid I’m thinking threaded rod secured to the top and bottom portions of the edge of the door.  This allows for rigidity, but doesn’t block the view of the home corner.

Thoughts for where this might not be great? What else would you add/change?

If I have the time, when it nears completion I’ll create a fly-around feature demo of the enclosure.

~Smith

Smith Hayward
    Participant

Here’s a view of the enclosure open.  As you can see, there’s nothing supporting the top corner above the home corner. Next I’ll add in some wires and the vacuum hose solution.  I’m not 100% sure how all of the wiring runs yet, but I’ll review the instructions and see if I can figure it out.

MPCNC_Enclosure_Open_w_View_LR

Smith Hayward
    Participant

First parts not-so-hot off the printer! This is starting to feel so real.  I have a habit of not finishing projects. EVER…  But I’m feeling this one in my bones!

I decided to go with ColorFabb nGen purple.  They were having a Black Friday 2.0 sale on Friday, so I picked this up along with some of their nGen Flex (that would make for an interesting MPCNC-Flex Edition).

Still need to source the teal filament, so I’m probably going to have to splurge on full-price nGen now that I see how nicely this stuff prints.  I hate liking expensive things…MPCNC_First_Parts

Chris
    Participant

congrats on starting. I printed all my parts over 6 months ago. and they just sat in the garage collecting dust for some time. Until i decided to finally go ahead.

I mounted mine to just a sheet of MDF 1200 x 1000. This way i can lift it up on a table when needed, and store it out of the way when i want to get my car in the garage.

Check out my recent post about a dust shoe for some inspiration

I have also converted mine to a needle cutter using this file https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2544466?fbclid=IwAR2gpk_RjZxxxihSzznZq8Dhd83fEXqqd81MQXVozGzQyuzttCf-ziHHuFw

1 user thanked author for this post.

Smith Hayward
    Participant

OKAY!!! We are built.  Only thing left to do is to cut the T8 screw down to be flush with the z-axis assembly (glad I realized this would be a problem because I would have run it into the base MDF).  Oh, that and get some longer wires, build/print/assemble an enclosure for the main board and LCD/Controls.

Any designs above regarding my table/enclosure are probably all out the window now; redesign forthcoming.

I have filmed the ENTIRE BUILD AD NAUSEA, I will be editing it up along with an intro to talk about WHY I built one, other decision/choices and reasoning, etc.  I’m hoping it will serve not as a “HOW TO” but rather as a “HOW I DID” my build.  I have MANY HOURS of video to sift through, and need to create the intro/overview content once I have my machine capable of drawing and maybe coloring my logo… that’s what I hope to have as the opening shot.

HUGE thank you to Ryan for the design, the support, the awesome kit, the fast shipping and everything else I’ve forgotten to mention.  I will sing your (and the MPCNC’s) praise anytime I can.

Ryan
    Keymaster

High five!

Smith Hayward
    Participant

High five!

HIGH FIVE!!!

OH, and she ended up being 25″ x 33″ working area.  I blame it on the 1-car garage workshop and the rolling shelves I just bought to hold all my crap (and that’s after tossing a TON of stuff).  But it’s fine, I can’t imagine I was going to be working on too many 32″ x 32″ pieces, it was just to have added capabilities “Just in case”…

I feel like even when I don’t have real projects going on, I’m just going to have it drawing for me, like stupid complex drawings with THOUSANDS OF LINES, why? well, BECAUSE I CAN…

Robot Minion Count: 2

Ryan
    Keymaster

After having mine for a few years, they have officially became tools. So don’t worry about the size, The cnc part usually is never the entire thing. Just like I use a table saw and a cordless saw on the same project but could use one to do it all.

When I make something I think of them just like a table saw or any other “bigger” tool I have. I design projects with my tools at hand. I used to design to use the CNC specifically. I love it now because I tend to make slightly more complex parts but only use the CNC for part of it. This is what I wanted. People ask why, what is it for…they never ask that of a table saw (even though most have no idea what it is for either). I did not want to be limited by my tools and I no longer am….well, still want to add on a plasma cutter…

Sean
    Participant

After having mine for a few years, they have officially became tools. So don’t worry about the size, The cnc part usually is never the entire thing. Just like I use a table saw and a cordless saw on the same project but could use one to do it all.

When I make something I think of them just like a table saw or any other “bigger” tool I have. I design projects with my tools at hand. I used to design to use the CNC specifically. I love it now because I tend to make slightly more complex parts but only use the CNC for part of it. This is what I wanted. People ask why, what is it for…they never ask that of a table saw (even though most have no idea what it is for either). I did not want to be limited by my tools and I no longer am….well, still want to add on a plasma cutter…

This right here! Hey how come you bought a hammer, I dunno, maybe cause I need to hammer some stuff in. WHOA WHOA WHOA  a hammer AND a screw driver?…. said no one ever! I dont think anyone has any projects that are JUST the one thing, even signs and other CNC ones are more than just cut wood. stain, sanding, etc. Having said all of that, I have a Snap-On tool box with a custom drawing and signature by Chip Foose on it, sitting right next to my MPCNC, no one cares about those tools, just the one you designed Ryan! Thanks again for all the hard work, I think a plasma would be fun, I really want to go the C02 laser route personally. Although plasma would be awesome too, just have NO experience with one…

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have a Snap-On tool box with a custom drawing and signature by Chip Foose on it

That has to be the most Rad toolbox ever…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.