80mm Spindle Suspension

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 5 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Participant

Ever need some extra support for your oversized payload?  I got you covered.

I’m working on some suspension for my 80mm spindle.  I haven’t fully gotten this machine working, but I didn’t think it was right to ask a stepper to hold up the 11lb behemouth by itself.  I thought I’d bring in a 15lb gas spring.

I haven’t designed the tool holder yet, but here’s a picture of the Z-Axis supporting the spindles weight without the help of the stepper.

IMG_1089

More to come.

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Cool. I have a few spring assist tool holders they are pretty cheap and have a decent consistency to the load handling. That is much cleaner though.

Matt
    Participant

Pretty much there!

https://youtu.be/QWx9K7QK7zQ

Designed the spindle holder!  Couldn’t use the original tool holder due to clearance.

Ryan:  This is a spring assisted tool holder.  The purpose would be to give a counterweight to a heavy Z load.  Without the spring, the single Z stepper has to lift this huge piece of metal all over the place.  I’m thinking I can get some faster z travel with this and maybe run that stepper a little cooler (Idk if that will be an issue anyway).

Also, if I cut power to the machine, the Z-Axis stays in place and doesn’t crash into the workpiece.

Pic-1
    Pic-2
    pic-3

Barry
    Participant

That is cool!

Ryan
    Keymaster

How does it work? That looks to be a very small Z stepper so if it is doing even normal speeds with that large spindle you did good work!

Great idea for sure.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.