5W Laser – Mini-Rambo – Assembly Pics

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC 5W Laser – Mini-Rambo – Assembly Pics

This topic contains 47 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

What about grabbing the signal right at the mosfet leg, isn’t that 5v and the mosfet directly changes it to 12v?

I wouldn’t hold out hope most people could solder that. The leg is bigger than most spots, but…

To skip all that is there some sort of logic translator, kind of like with the PID, read the 12v PWM output 5v?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12009

That will be fast, but 1) it’s still inverted and 2) you’ll still need a pullup resistor. Any resistor will do though, and you’ll get 5V pretty much exactly. You need to wire in 12V and 5V to it.

I can certainly imagine something that would connect just to the two sides of FAN1, Rambo GND and the TTL and GND of the laser and do this. If we wanted it that badly. It would be hard to compete with a resistor or a $4 board with more wires or just a firmware change.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The mosfet is actually the 8 pin SMD right “above” the fan pins. That would be a tricky solder.

Cap
    Participant

Fellas, checking to see if there is anything I can do to help.  While I don’t personally have the gear to test things on the laser driver board I know someone who does.  If I know what type of info would be helpful and what instrument would be able to obtain that info it I can make it happen.

Thanks

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks for the offer. On my side I am going to put it to the side until I decide what to do about the firmware. I Think I am going to just make another branch (oye, so many) specifically for laser and PID with the pins flipped. Not sure what Heffe has up his sleeve though.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Cap

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Cap, thanks for the offer. We kind of took over your thread here (sorry). If you (or anyone reading) was interested in using the 5V TTL from the FAN pin, I could troubleshoot it with you, but I’m not chomping at the bit. I’ve scratched my itch, so to speak.

Cap

Cap
    Participant

Good deal, had to ask!  I thought the discussion was great, look forward any future firmware updates that might be coming.

That being said the laser is doing pretty well as is.  I’m dialing in the grayscale settings and am getting much better results.  I’m getting PWM of sorts as I watched the fan speed on my LCD fluctuate gradually up and down during a grayscale burn.

I don’t plan on going grayscale much, I’m looking for lettering and logos, which this setup is perfect for.  For anyone else looking for the same I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this laser with the mini Rambo.  It’s simple and it just works.

Last couple of gray wheel burns

1ED21CC9-A839-4E09-A2C6-72F4381C3EFF

Test on aluminum with flat black spray paint.  The initial cut was pretty clean, the edges chipped a bit when I was rubbing off the soot.

E9C09657-182C-426E-ADAE-0FB8B752D015

Thanks again

geodave
    Participant

I am starting to get interested in these lasers after following this thread.  My big concern with these is picking the right glasses to wear when watching these. What glasses do people use with these?  This looked like the right type to wear, but this is something I do not want to skimp on cost if they are not the best. https://www.banggood.com/Red-Blue-violet-Laser-Safety-Glasses-Laser-Protective-Goggles-Eyewear-p-955972.html?rmmds=detail-top-buytogether-auto__1&cur_warehouse=CN I know this wattage is mostly for engraving, but are there materials this can burn through, like leather?

Mike
    Participant

I got a free pair with the 2.5W laser I first bought from banggood, and honestly, it was uncomfortable looking at the spot where the laser was burning the work piece. I never felt like they did a good enough job of protecting my eyes, so I would just avoid looking directly at the spot as much as I could. I recently picked up a pair of these, and they are absolutely fantastic. Certainly a significant price jump from the ones you linked, but I personally feel much better protected using them. Just a data point for you.

As far as cutting with a laser, the 3.5W I got later from banggood will cut through 6mm plywood and acrylic after a few passes. Haven’t tried leather, but I would think that would work too.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Covering the widest spectrum possible is the best bet. Those laser very easily could be out of spec. Those glasses look amazing. I got mine from them but used a different pair, I would have gotten those if they had them at the time.

geodave
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I will add that link in case I decide to add a laser to my MPCNC. I am sure it is well worth the extra money for a good pair of glasses.

Cap
    Participant

Both of the above look solid to me.  I bought a pair from Jtech and they work well with my laser.

JeffH
    Participant

Hi Cap. You mentioned you had Lightburn running on your MiniRambo. Did you have to do anything in particular to get it to communicate with your computer? Or are you using it to generate GCode and running that on Repetier or similar? I plugged my computer into my Rambo board and it just sits there waiting for a response. Command line won’t work either…

Thanks

JeffH
    Participant

Hi Cap. I eventually found my problem. A Baudrate mismatch. Once corrected the Rambo 1.4 and Light burn started communicating as expected.

So the answer to my question is Yes. A MPCNC running with a Rambo 1.4 board can be controlled directly from Lightburn – console or command line.

Now for a little burning…

Cap
    Participant

Glad you figured it out!  I was burning it to an SD card and running it thru the LCD.  Enjoy

Yogesh Desai
    Participant

Laser mount. There wasn’t a mount that fit a 33mm x 33mm laser on Thingiverse so I had to dive into Fusion 360 to make my own. It took a minute but it was a great learning experience The new ‘Mesh’ feature in Fusion 360 allowed me to take the DW 660 Lower Mount designed by Ryan and remix it to make it work for my laser. Its simple and it just works – which I like! It takes advantage of the machine screw holes on the back.

Hello Cap,

I bought this exact same laser module. I tested it with my ramps setup it works fine with the D9 port and fan speed.

Now I needed a mount for installing the module on the MPCNC, a humble request to you:

As my fusion 360 knowledge is very limited, will you be able to provide me the STL files for the laser mount which you have designed and used?

I will certainly credit you wherever I’ll post images/videos of the laser setup with MPCNC.

Thanks!

Aaryn
    Participant

I have seen 33mm laser mounts for the MPCNC on thingiverse. You may want to search a bit. I think there are a few different types.

Robert
    Participant

Any instructions on how to connect a cheap laser to a mini rambo? Sure would like go at it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It is completely dependent on your laser. There is basic info on the laser page as well as the Ultimachine page.

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.