500W 12000RPM spindle not enough?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC 500W 12000RPM spindle not enough?

This topic contains 34 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  grishien 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Skipping steps is a sign of something drastically wrong, it is not a common problem, never has been.

Eric H
    Participant

Are your spindle wires parallel to your stepper wires at any point? The higher current in the spindle wires can induce current in nearby conductors and interfere with step signals. I had some problems with skipped steps when I was using a 500w spindle due to what I believe was this issue. I had the wires powering the spindle parallel to some of my stepper wires, and every time I would have high engagement I would lose steps. I thought it was mechanical at first, but when I tried rerouting the cables the problem went away.

Also, regarding slowing down at areas of high engagement. Troichoidal or Adaptive clearing are definitely great strategies for consistency. However, if you still want to do simple contour paths (slotting, finishing, etc.) there is a optional feature in Fusion 360 called “feed optimization” where the feedrate is reduced at corners like you want.

grishien
    Participant

And – yes, it is.

You can set such acceleration by DEFAULT_ACCELERATION or on the fly sending command M204 P200 where 200 is acceleration.

I found 200 to work well (previously was 400). And you can slow it down even further thus making it move super smooth but it will greatly affect milling time.

grishien
    Participant

Are your spindle wires parallel to your stepper wires at any point? The higher current in the spindle wires can induce current in nearby conductors and interfere with step signals. I had some problems with skipped steps when I was using a 500w spindle due to what I believe was this issue. I had the wires powering the spindle parallel to some of my stepper wires, and every time I would have high engagement I would lose steps. I thought it was mechanical at first, but when I tried rerouting the cables the problem went away.

Also, regarding slowing down at areas of high engagement. Troichoidal or Adaptive clearing are definitely great strategies for consistency. However, if you still want to do simple contour paths (slotting, finishing, etc.) there is a optional feature in Fusion 360 called “feed optimization” where the feedrate is reduced at corners like you want.

Eric, thanks for the info. I will check out.

And no, spindle wires are completely apart from steppers wiring. I knew that people have problems with it so didn’t want to take risks.

grishien
    Participant

If anyone cares or is having similar troubles – a lot depends on the bit itself. When I discussed this here I was working with 3 flutes bit made for aluminium, from Aliexpress. I had nothing to compare with so I thought that the bit is not applicable for blaming. When I received 2-flutes bit made for wood I realized that half of success is within the bit’s responsibility.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.