4ft x 4ft MPCNC Rookie build

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC 4ft x 4ft MPCNC Rookie build

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  MADNESS 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

MADNESS
    Participant

This is my first experience with a CNC, and against everyone’s recommendations, I went the direction of a 4ft x 4ft build, rather than the 2ft x 2ft that the kit was designed for. I haven’t begun wiring/belts yet, so I’m assuming that’s where the challenges will begin to appear. Looking forward to getting this thing dirty!

We will see how it works out together. My 4×4 build is the bottom work table as a basic dimension. I go in 2.5″ from the corners for the corner feet. So work area is about 725mmx725 when all is assembled.

I do have mid-span supports in but am still tweaking the heights of the corner tubes and will adjust a bit for the router now that I have it installed.

Initial movements don’t show appreciable sag.

Welcome. Looking forward to future developments.

MADNESS
    Participant

Initial movements don’t show appreciable sag.

I figure I could always disassemble and make the unit smaller, if I need to. It’d be much more painful to rebuild a table to be bigger though. Go big or go home!

2 users thanked author for this post.

MADNESS
    Participant

Finally all assembled, and ran a few pen tests. Systems are go.

2 users thanked author for this post.

A very nice, neat board. Your table looks super.

If you would like to lighten the cable guide for the gantry, I used PVC corner/edge moulding that I picked up at Lowes. It is stiff enough to carry the cables but is very light. I printed the motor clips to hold it.

Screenshot-219

I can share the STL.

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.

MADNESS
    Participant

I’ll definitely keep this in mind. Currently, the 2×2 I have to support the gantry wiring doesn’t seem to be an issue. But, if I plan on improving the quality/consistency of cuts, I’ll probably be making improvements like that. I think the first thing I’ll tweak is the belt thickness; it feels like it could be bulkier for a bigger build like this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.