4 years!

New Home Forum Updates 4 years!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Continued from here, https://www.v1engineering.com/4-years-of-v1-engineering/

Almost ready with the new “shop” ~600sqft. Still need a bit of paint and lighting, but I am rolling in the racks and setting up this weekend.

IMG_20190314_165045

Old “shop”

IMG_20190310_120755

You all freaking rock, I can’t thank you enough.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeffeb3
    Participant

Whoa. That garage looks awesome. Don’t make a mess. 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

Pffffft, I can’t wait to make a mess. Well, the little side I hope to be the messy side, the other side I am trying to set up right now and keep it “clean”.

Aaryn
    Participant

Oh the potential “Tinker/Maker” fun that will fill that space is envy enduring.  I love it!  That would be so much fun have!  Enjoy it Ryan! You earned it!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Bill
    Participant

Uh oh, I see an issue right from the get go… You need more power outlets! By the time you get your existing equipment plugged in there won’t be any left over for the new projects you need to design and build. 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

No way, the old shop had 3 outlets. This new one has 3 circuits, plus a 240! The wall to the right you can’t really see has 12 plugs and 4 on the ceiling. I even looked at the Ryobi garage door openers with the retractable cords built in, the ones here are a security issue they are so old I can’t leave them plugged in or they randomly open and close even after deleting and resetting all the opener codes. So I added an alarm before any boxes got moved.

Slowly moving into it. So far so good.

Sean
    Participant

4 Years 3 car garage (shop) 2 huge updates 1 man. Lol I feel like someone needs to make a poster with that tag line.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The evolution of V1 – 4 years, 4 different garages!

Ryan
    Keymaster

I finally got some decent lighting up last night (LED shop lights on amazon are awesome), most everything except the label printer and packing table are in the shop now. Today’s goal, get the table out there, catch up on shipping.

Looks like inventory is starting to catch up. The LowRider bundles lasted almost 20 hours. I think today’s batch of both should bring me out of the inventory deficit I have been fighting.  I am 50/50 on making it to MRRF.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Those are nice lights. I bought some of these a couple of years ago and they are awesome:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0728P14FR

Always good to have more than enough light. Especially now that you won’t have to replace the bulbs.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh yeah world of difference, even the last shop was sorely lacking on light. The new shop floor has a major downside. Anything that drops on it disappears, it seems to have some kind of active cloaking built in. Always looks clean though.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

If it’s relatively flat, you can increase visibility by getting your eyes very close to the surface and looking across it. I learned this by looking for missing screws for my hockey skates on the concrete rinks. Or just don’t drop anything.

John
    Participant

This thing is the best 40$ I’ve spent at habor frought:

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-magnetic-sweeper-with-wheels-93245.html

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Do they make one that works on carpet for legos?

Geoffrey
    Participant

They don’t make them anymore, but it really looks like something that could be a “Mostly Printed” item.

John
    Participant

Found you one

Attachments:
    Jeffeb3
    Participant

Those both look like great solutions, but I really need to be able to find the one piece that’s still there after the major cleanup and is right where I’m walking on my way to bed.

Bill
    Participant

Sounds like you have no trouble finding it, it’s just that you are finding it at a time you don’t want. I bought my shop LEDs from big orange a couple of years ago and couldn’t be happier with them. I also picked up a magnetic sweeper somewhat like the HF one but without the wheels. It’s found appropriate things for me many time, but doesn’t work well with Legos, PLA parts or aluminum.

Ryan, all you have to do is paint the floor white and those dropped items will stand out nicely … unless they are also white. 🙂

Baggins
    Participant

Looking forward to ordering my kit. Will hopefully finish my printing this week, so you’d better hurry up with the inventory!

SteevyT
    Participant

Also hoping to order mine this week.  Wife will be travelling for about 3 weeks and would like to do it while she’s gone.

On a completely unrelated side note, do you know what the coating on the floor of your shop is called?  That looks like it might be neat to put in my basement.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sneaky! I have 10 sets going up of each today, and hopefully another ten Monday.

I did the polyurea on the floor. I don’t remember the brand but I did get a picture I can’t seem to find right now.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Getting a little more settled in, of course there is still plenty of work to do. This is the “clean” side of the shop where the orders get packed.

IMG_20190529_142912

The other smaller side is slowly getting set up as I use it. Having more space almost doubled my capacity, as in I can get almost twice as much done in a week. Since I have some space for larger orders I place larger orders half as often, and I can sort of leave things in progress while other things get done. NICE! Just need to find a little help to get back into more R&D.

Sean
    Participant

Looking good man! Come a long way in just a few months! Still need to get together for that beer!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Having more space almost doubled my capacity, as in I can get almost twice as much done in a week. Since I have some space for larger orders I place larger orders half as often, and I can sort of leave things in progress while other things get done. NICE!

Sounds like you should have gotten an even bigger space :).

Ryan
    Keymaster

Still need to get together for that beer!

You saw it all packed in my dining room, AHAHAH so much better now! When I start a new cool project or maybe get my current project a little further maybe a 12oz brainstorming session would be a good idea!

Sounds like you should have gotten an even bigger space :).

Shoot I am not sure what to do with what I have yet, Feels weird having to take more than 4 steps to get to things.

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

Grats on the new place, happy it’s working out for you… despite the floor that sends dropped parts to another dimension/parallel universe 😂

Ryan
    Keymaster

Funny you say that, when standing on it it looks super clean. From this picture you can see all the crud on the floor…So I have officially proven you can see alternate dimensions if you change your perspective.

I would appreciate if you all nominate me for the nobel prize, thanks.

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

Very nice new shop!

Now time to fill it with dust.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I made sure I had made some dust before posting the picture, nobody wants to see a clean and staged shop…that’s just nasty.

JeffH
    Participant

Congratulations on the move. Always stressful. Nice size for the shop since it’s cleanable. Mine is much larger and ends up being general purpose storage for Everything including dust, shavings, junk, CNCs, lathes, saws…

I guess it’s a good problem to have lol.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.